“Poor quality food and service”

Georges Gourmet Food Store
Ranked #44 of 90 Restaurants in Croydon
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I wont be returning here. The food is poor and overpriced. Also, I went in with my Mother and 12 month old son and asked for a highchair. They didn't have any! What restaurant/cafe doesnt have a high chair. My son had to sit in his pram, which he doesnt mind but it limits our time.

There are newer reviews for Georges Gourmet Food Store

Reviewed May 8, 2012

I have been going to George's semi regularly, but after Sunday's breakfast I won't be returning. I've always felt it was overpriced for Croydon, but it is convenient as not as crowded as Kofi Beans around the corner. On Sunday I asked if they put real coffee in the Iced Coffee (the last couple of times it didn't taste 'right'). The girl said no, they use syrup. I am sure this hasn't always been the case as the first time I went there (5 months ago) I asked the same question and was told they used coffee. Anyway, I asked for real coffee rather than syrup. It was very weak and to top it off I was charged extra for having a shot of coffee in my Iced Coffee!! Now $6.50 is ridiculous for an Iced Coffee. My 2 rather small pieces of raisin toast cost $8. There are plenty of other cafes in the area that do not charge so much, that is where I will be heading.

1  Thank Susan M
Reviewed October 28, 2011

Love the food at George's - particularly the breakfast offerings. Scrambled eggs with fetta thoroughly recommended. Great coffee too and a relaxed atmosphere.

Reviewed February 4, 2011

This place has so much potential they have some nice baked lunches on offer and the coffee is okay but overpriced for the quality. Big let down on breakfasts I had the big breakie. The hash brown was maccas version, the sausage a cheap BBQ sausage from the supermarket and the toast was thin sliced processed white bread. Definately can't say they are gourmet

1  Thank DP5563
Reviewed December 1, 2008

I've been to this place many times! Beautiful setting inside, lovely courtyard outside with Mt Dandenong in the backdrop, and great food too.

April, the meditteranean lasagne is my favourite! Their soups in the cob loaves are also very nice.

The coffee has lost quality since barista Tim left (you'll find him at Cafe Galilee) but that can soon be fixed witha quick refresher coffee course. The tiny teddies are a nice touch.