“Would rather be in the holocust”
Review of The Courthouse Restaurant - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Courthouse Restaurant
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
“Would rather be in the holocust”
Reviewed December 10, 2011

I was forced to go there by my wife with a group of people from her work (they work in the city, but they chose to go there as it was close to most of their homes..)
When I first heard we were going to Berwick I was thinking to myself, where the ---- is Berwick? I later found out the "Berwick" is actually pronounced "Berrick" ---!
Why in the world would you make the "w" silent?? Is it trying to make the suburb sound fancy? What a joke. We leave our home in Elwood at 6pm on a Thursday night and we get to "Berwick" at 7:30pm due to an accident on the monash fwy. Anywhere that you have to go by freeway is going to end up a dive of a place unless it's down the coast.
So I already dont like the place. Now to find out we are going to the "courthouse" I was thinking hmm maybe, just maybe it can be pulled off an actually be semi decent..
WRONG!! from the moment I stepped in it was so tacky! Old carpet, the worst decor, smelt like a cats ring.
Sitting at our poxy table for a bout 15mins. I decided to have a glass of water. NO WATER ON THE TABLE ok no worries, I'll just get the waitress attention and get some water for the table. 10mins later the waitress comes past and ask for some cold water. She comes back with a jug that has been filled up from the kitchen tap?? Umm ok then?!!
The entree came out I had the prawns. BLAND! they went even fresh. Tasted like they had been defrosted in a microwave..
Main meal consisted of the chicken 2ways looked and tasted like KFC chicken.
Dessert I had the stickydate pudding was actually not too bad but was as dry as a nuns nasty.

The best part of the night is when I left the courthouse and the suburb of berwick.

2 Thank 1LK

Melbourne
“Overrated”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We dined here late one evening, food was OK, nothing to rave about which is disappointing considering their reputation. My lobster was served on a salad with fruit which ruined the whole dish. Servings were small to moderate and after 3 courses we still left hungry. Staff were OK to deal with. Nice atmosphere though, in an old courtroom, very quaint. Probably won't dine there again.

• Visited June 2011
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very over rated - we wont be going back”
Reviewed May 21, 2011

We were not happy with this restaurant at all. From our party of four, all of us found the food less than average. The entrees were so bad that we didnt eat them. Our mains were less than average. The steak was tough & chewy, the risotto had a medicinal flavour and was floating in liquid, the calamari was like rubber & the fish was bland. desserts were just OK. The service was unfriendly and very slow. We had to constantly call the waitress over to order more drinks, even though there were only 3 tables of diners. All in all a fairly poor experience.

• Visited May 2011
1 Thank Partyoffour2011
Australia
“we went there with family and another...”
Reviewed September 10, 2010

we went there with family and another couple.
Quality of food was very good.
Serving staff very friendly and helpfull, but didnt match the higher standard of the food. Atmosphere of the restaurant is a bit cold and the background music doesnt fit the place.

Chelsea
“" Lobster Thermodore" Yuk”
Reviewed August 11, 2010

We went to The courthouse for a work function. I had been waiting all week to have the Lobster Thermodore. We had a party of 6. 3 of us ordered the Lobster. The presentation was good, but the taste was horrible. It was so sour and had a smell of ammonia. I got another person to smell it as well as taste it. My husband also had the same meal and had the same problem. Out of the 3, 2 were off. The waitress was very apologetic, but that is not the point. Not once did either the manager or the chef come and apologise for this situation. The lobster would have to of been sitting there quite sometime for this to occur.
They replaced our meal quickly, but i was not hungry anymore. They gave us a free dessert. Big Deal.
We have eaten there prior to this for a work function, but personally i will nevert go back there. Neither will anyone else on my table. We were also in a pokie little corner that you had to all get out of if you need to go to the toilet.