“Excellent but overpriced”

Ranked #9 of 14 Beechworth B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent but overpriced”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

I was staying in the mews accommodation at the back of the restaurant - very well appointed with a huge bed but it didn't work for me, given the price. A huge bathroom with the turbo spa, 2 shower heads etc etc but seemed excessive. There were tea and coffee making facilities rather awkwardly placed and given there is a restaurant, nothing to eat by way of fruit or some home baked biscuits as a welcome. The Japanese furniture was very elegant but the place lacked privacy because of the windows and french doors, unless you pulled all the curtains across. I was also below a room upstairs and, when they ran the turbo bath for half an hour it was as if a locomotive was coming through the ceiling! Personally I'd go to the restaurant but stay somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Mazeyhill

Families
Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Reviewed March 1, 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at Provenance. In a sense, you could tell this was a great restaurant with some accommodation tacked on at the back. The accommodation was good - but ultimately when viewed purely as accommodation was over priced. We were here mostly so we could walk straight out of the excellent restaurant and crash after over-indulging - which is exactly what we did.
The good: Bed was big and super comfortable, with linen which we took details of because it was so comfy. We also liked having full pay TV (not so regular in Australian hotels) but purely as a luxury which we don't have at home - and of course, we loved the large spa bath in the bathroom. There was also a double shower and quality soaps/shampoos etc... Friendly staff. A roomy fridge.
Room for improvement: Needs a couch to laze around on after a day walking around town, or to throw back a nice bottle of wine. Breakfast didn't have options - only bacon, eggs, tomato etc... no options for non egg eaters other than cereals. Given the standard of the kitchen, this is an obvious opportunity to impress...
The Bad: Overpriced.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We stayed for 1 night on the degustation dinner with wine package. The rooms are in their ‘mews’, in the back, across the courtyard (with veggie patch) from the old bank building which houses the restaurant.
Our room was on the top floor (there seem to be 3 rooms on the ground floor of the mews and only one on the top floor) and was spacious with a nice big tv & cable, table and 2 chairs, comfortable bed and cupboard & tea / coffee making facilities. The bathroom was large and well equipped, with double basins, double shower (great shower!) and a large spa bath. The towels and products were great.
The degustation dinner with wine / sake match was truly enjoyable. Service was friendly and relaxed. Breakfast the following morning was a beautifully cooked traditional “fry up” with some continental options.
The location is right in the heart of town, on the main street, with lots of pubs, cafes, wine bars and restaurants around.
We only wish they could have accommodated us for a 2 night stay!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

Never do reviews, but Provenance deserves one. Stayed overnight at this B&B with the 3 course dinner package.

Accommodation is great- big comfortable king size bed with soft sheets. Nice size room with table and wardrobe, tv and tea/coffee making option. Bathroom lovely quality and huge spa bath and double shower- spa a lovely way to relax before the meal.

The dinner was just wonderful. Really complex flavours and textures beautifully balanced.

Huge wine list and really helpful suggestions from waitress on selection of gins, sakes and Spanish dessert wines - all were spot on suggestions.

One of the best meals we have had. Breakfast was also wonderful - light and tasty scrambled eggs and tasty bacon, mushrooms and tomatoes. A really memorable stay that we we will remember with delight.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Booked an overnight 3 course dinner package for an overnight spoil on our way back from Canberra to Melbourne. Impressed with the attentive but subtle service. The room was spacious and immaculate with every detail considered eg beautiful sheets, L'Occitane toiletries, comfortable robes. The spacious bathroom with double spa and double shower heads was a luxurious touch. Nice to be amble to amble 20m to the beautiful restaurant so be sure to book a great value dinner package - one of the nicest dinners we've ever had. The breakfast was also simple but delicious with every ingredient being of the highest quality produce and cooked to perfection! We will be sure to come back!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Steve's birthday celebrations started well on the Friday night at the Stanley Pub and the next day we continued the revelry by moving to Provenance in Beechworth. We faced the elements and enjoyed a mooch around the town with lunch at a local brewery before checking in and taking advantage of the amazingly comfortable bed and napped before dinner. This weekend was very much about good food and then sleeptime around the meals! But given I was still trying to fight off the lurgy, it didn't seem a bad way to spend the time.

Having heard great things about Provenance and having already recommended people try it before we even went ourselves we'd been looking forward to this for ages so to say we had expectations is probably true.

Steve has never been a fan of tofu so when the optional starter was house made silken tofu, soused seafood, wasabi, ginger he wasn't that fussed about opting in but I convinced him and he loved it! The little Asian teacup arrived pretty quickly - a lot sooner than our accompanying sake did but luckily I had opted for the champagne and still had plenty of that. Completely reminiscent of chawan mushi but tofu and not egg I loved the saltiness of the roe and the seafood and the fragrant ginger kiss and then the odd hit of wasabi. We soon learnt with the Provenance dishes to try and get as much of everything in one mouthful as it's about the sum of all the parts as opposed to individual features.

Next came vegetables, pickles, okayu sauce, puffed rice, umeboshi. I feared it would be like the veggie dish at Brooks where I was overwhelmed by the strong veggie flavours and at first mouthful when I had some beetroot and I think another piece of veg I began to think I was down that garden path so to speak. But then I ate more and loved the pickled turnip combined with the savoury almost chickeny okayu sauce and I got it. It tasted good!
Continuing the veggie theme we had roasted broccoli, broccoli puree, candied lemon, anchovy, capers. Completely different to the previous veggie dish I loved mixing the purees and the crumbs and the delicious iron flavours of the florets came through.

The smoked bonito, braised turnip, jamon consommé, sautéed lettuce, bottarga took us back to Japan and away from the veggie allotment. Thickly cut sashimi style seasoned with a meaty almost gluey consomme heavy on the jamon flavours and then lightened up by the cleansing turnip and lettuce.

We then took a turn towards meat and enjoyed pork cheek cooked in hay, grain and pea salad, coriander and blood pudding. I was a little apprehensive about the blood pudding because it was a bit flabby looking and I usually like the coarser, drier black pudding but when eaten with a but if meat some crunchy hay and pea puree it was delicious.

After pork came grass fed Yalandra wagyu, beets cooked in clay, beetroot jam, garlic and horseradish. Steve declared this one of the finest beef dishes he has ever had which is a pretty high accolade. I loved its silky texture and intense flavour off set with sweet beetroot and then a hint of horseradish warmth. An absolute memorable dish and a highlight.

Steve enjoyed the optional cheese course but I opted out given it was a blue cheese - Bleu de Laqueuille and it was served with quince jelly, saba and walnut bread. I had hoped they would be able to offer me an alternative but it didn't happen so I watched Steve eat and drink the quince liqueur and he did it with such enthusiasm and delight it was wonderful to watch!

Dessert was banana mousse, peanut frangipane, orange and miso caramel. The banana mousse was fruitier than I expected. Loved the cakey goodness of the peanut frangipane and the zestiness of the orange. Have to concede though that it wasn't the most amazing dessert I've ever had.

Thinking back to dinner at Provenance and it was such a great evening because there was a sense of anticipation as we waited for the next course. I love that sense of uncertainty, of pushing boundaries and when the flavours come together for that party in the mouth, it's amazing.

In the last three weeks, Steve and I have been lucky enough to try out three great two hatted restaurants - Stokehouse, Aria and Provenance and it's really interesting to compare them. Absolutely the food is delicious at all. Aria wins for classic flavours elevated to stellar status but undeniably it wasn't that exciting and if we weren't with 4 friends it could have been a dull night. Stokehouse, great date place and a pleasant evening...more neighbourhood restaurant than destination dining though. And then Provenance - exciting, worth a trip and I think the fact that the whole package was dinner and a gorgeous room and a spa bath just made it a wonderful experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 30, 2013

My wife booked the accommodation as part of my birthday celebration. We stayed two nights (June 28/29) and ate at the restaurant on the Saturday night. Our room was large with a king bed, it was well appointed and had an especially large bathroom. As bed and breakfast venues go this is one of the better ones I have stayed in. The breakfast was excellent and the dinner we had on the Saturday night demonstrated why the venue gets rated so well in the Good Food Guide. I would recommend Provenance to others

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple