“Great” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of beach house barwon heads

beach house barwon heads
Ranked #5 of 21 Restaurants in Barwon Heads
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed a lovely fresh and well presented meal. Courteous service.
The only problem was the delay on trying to pay. We dined inside and the staff at the till were busy taking orders from outside diners and not wanting our money! There needs to be a cashier dedicated to accepting payments

“Basil Fawlty and Manuel would feel at home”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2014

We went with friends who had had such good memories this had become their 'usual' place to go to in Barwon Heads. No more, this experience brought to a halt their patronage of this restaurant.
The saga started off with my wife and I arriving first and being seated . Then a waitress who could do with some training in interpersonal skills and how to deal with customers tried to get us to place our order despite being told we were waiting for our friends.When our friends arrived, under whose name the reservation was, it had been crossed out and it took sometime to establish that they in fact did have a reservation etc...
We were seated at a table that was so unstable we moved ( by ourselves) which the waiting staff seemed to disapprove of !
So we ordered our food a bottle of wine and waited and waited and then saw our food heading off to another table, fixed by a quick call out and gesture.
The pork chops were edible , almost tasty but on the edge of being overcooked. The fish on special was edible but not outstanding, but as for my wife's mussels- well when almost half the mussels are closed and no implements are provided to open them, this hardly qualifies as a snack let alone a meal. And to add insult to injury when my wife commented to the waiter that this was hardly appropriate, he seemed entirely disinterested , asked her if she was finished ! gave a cursory ( and clearly unmeant) "sorry" , didn't offer to get implements to open the closed mussels or anything- what a poor poor example of customer service.
So by now we were ready for dessert.
We ordered the apple and rhubarb rumble and the icecream and chocolate biscuit.
After our experiences with the mains we had ordered our desserts with some trepidation. And we weren't disappointed.
When the rhubarb and apple crumble arrived, it looked a like someone had put dog vomit on the plate and I almost expected to hear a cry from the kitchen: "Manuel...........",. Sure the taste might have been ok but you eat with your eyes as well and it's hard to imagine anyone finding that dish appealing to look at unless it was our dog.
The icecream and chocolate biscuit tasted ok but looked like it came out of the frozen dessert section in the supermarket.

Finally when we left, no one at the door said good bye, good night or anything..- hardly welcome but an expected punctuation point to an excruciatingly bad dining experience.

How can a restaurant that was so good become soo bad , especially one that is not targeting budget minded customers? change in management ?

Based on our experience tonight, I could not recommend this establishment as one where you would expect to receive good service, good food and a great dining experience.

Maybe you will have better luck than we did should you try it ? I hope so ?

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Vlfrs
Geelong, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“" Best steak ever! "”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

After my husband and i were fortunate to have a night out with no children, we decided to check out the Beach House Restaurant in Barwon Heads. From the moment we walked in we both loved it. The atmosphere was cosy and warm. This place looked beautiful. The food was to die for- our entree' we shared. I decided to order steak which my husband was very surprised! When our main meals came out i knew it was going to be good. My steak was amazing!! I think i couldn't stop complementing my steak after each mouthful! Cooked to perfection..... We will be back for sure. These guys know how to cook steak!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Australia
“A waiter so rude it was funny!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

Okay, we know all restaurants have off days. But when something goes wrong it is generally appreciated when an apology is offered, perhaps a free coffee or a glass of wine. But at The Beach House?.... we ordered one club sandwich on a fairly quiet day and watched as everyone around us - including several people who came well after us - were fed. Eventually my hubby asked one of the waiters and he said oh yes, two minutes (it was obvious our meal had been forgotten, had he admitted that we would've been fine). More time passed, no food. I went back and asked again - by this time it had been at least 50 minutes. When it eventually came the serve was tiny (even the side of chips was most ungenerous, what do they cost to make?!) In the time we had waited our infant son had got a bit impatient and was making a little noise (not so much as to annoy anyone and we were outside seated with other families) and the waiter muttered something under his breath. Unfortunately for him he was not to know that I have very good hearing so I heard every word of "IF YOUR KID WAS SO HUNGRY YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE BROUGHT HIM HERE". Do wonder what his bosses would think of discouraging families, pretty sure our money is as good as anyone else's and our son is widely experienced at eating out and behaves himself well. I should mention also that this waiter was not exactly polite at the start of proceedings either - when he was taking our money. Should've realised then; a supposedly quality restaurant tht wants your cash before you food should not be trusted! If not for paying we would've walked!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Nairina
Leandrew2627, Owner at beach house barwon heads, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Hi Nairina

As i am the owner of BeachHouse Barwon Heads, I was very disappointed on hearing how you were treated.
I was just wondering if you could tell me if you were seated inside or outside? & if you happened to know the name of the person that served you? If you were sitting inside, you would not have had to pay for you meal until you were finished & ready to leave. I would also like to send you a copy of our Autumn Lunch Menu, so that you can see that we don't serve Club sandwiches. Being a parent myself, I understand on how important it is to make families feel welcome, just like any other people that may come in to have a meal.

Thanks for you time
Leanne
Barwon Heads, Australia
“STINGY!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

Whilst the breakfast is above average at Beach House the side extras at $4 each are an insult. The side of tomato is half a tomato and the side of mushrooms was a single mushroom the size of a twenty cent coin. In anyone's book this is downright stingy!!!!