“Shame, we must have gone on an off night”
Review of The Avoca Hotel

The Avoca Hotel
Ranked #1 of 10 Restaurants in Avoca
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Avoca Hotel is a grand old Victorian goldfields pub with fabulous food, local wines and boutique beers served in a beautifully renovated, cosy interior. The hotel provides live musical entertainment every month and has a rapidly growing list of happy customers.
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We were in Avoca to be close to Maryborough on the weekend of the HPV and went to this pub with expectations of good food and unfortunately were disappointed. I do have to say though that the chips were the best we had tasted in a long time, but the rest of the meal was well below par. My husband ordered a chicken schnitzel and I ordered a cheese burger. The schnitzel that was served to my husband was 70% charcoal, not even slightly blacked with grill marks. I would have been embarrassed to serve it up to family it was that burnt, the chief should have thrown it out and start again. My hamburger was ho hum, I was thinking I would get a great pub style hamburger with tomato and maybe onion with the cheese, but instead got the pub version of McDonalds including the American mustard and ketchup Shame I wasn't asked if I wanted both (which I did not, if I had wanted a McDonalds hamburger I would have gone to McDonalds). We were hungry and tired so could not be bothered complaining about the food we were given. We will be going back to Avoca, but I am going to have to do a lot of convincing to get my husband back to try this place a second time. Maybe its because we ordered just the basic pub fare rather than the more elaborate meals little effort was put into them. Surely with all the good reviews this pub has had it can do much better.

3  Thank DoubleLJs
alikangaroo, Owner at The Avoca Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Dear DoubleLJs, we are sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your meals here. We have raised your concerns about the schnitzel with the pub-meals section of the kitchen to prevent a recurrence. Having come to the end of a busy year, we may have been slipping in that area, so thanks for your feedback. As to your burger however, it was exactly as described on the menu with a house-made pure beef pattie, Swiss cheese, pickles, mustard, sauce, salad, Japanese mayo and local extra thick bacon. We doubt that you can get that at McDonalds. We take our standards very seriously here and work very hard to make sure all of our customers leave satisfied with their experience. Perhaps if you have a problem at a dining establishment in future, it might be best to let them know at the time to give them the opportunity to resolve it then and there. Regards, Alison.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

A special family birthday was held at the Avoca Hotel on 10 November. Alison and Ian put on a great show - birthday decorations, fabulous local produce and wines and a great atmosphere. Something for everyone and the entire family enjoyed themselves (including some fussy ones). Highly recommend!

1  Thank Kate R

Thanks Kate! What a great review! Hopefully we will see you again for the next big family birthday! All the best, Alison

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Had dinner here recently and was very pleasantly surprised. This pub is not your average country pub serving hearty pub fare; it is a level above that with very good food and presentation. The quality of the ingredients (mainly sourced from local suppliers) would be part of the answer, although I suspect the talents in the kitchen would also be a substantial part of the equation. The staff has a friendly, casual and attentive attitude and the wine and beer selection is good with a number of local products on hand as well as offerings from further afield.
Worth a stopover for lunch or dinner.

1  Thank justdoinggeography

Thanks very much for your feedback. You are obviously a seasoned foodie and it is great to hear that you appreciate what we are doing here. Best regards, Alison

Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

Great selection of wine & beers, very friendly & welcoming. Had the lamb shanks & chicken - just delicious! These guys can cook chips too!!!

Thanks for that! Great to hear you had a good time here. Cheers, Alison

Reviewed September 30, 2012

We enjoyed lunch and the hospitality of this delightful couple. Food was reasonably priced and delicious, dining area was a lovely surprise and the bar was warm and cosy. Well done guys!

1  Thank Jenstewart

Hello Jen,
Thanks very much for your positive words of encouragement. It is always nice to know when a customer appreciate our work. Best regards, Alison