“Great Value Great Location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hughenden Boutique Hotel

Hughenden Boutique Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Woollahra
Sydney
“Great Value Great Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

Super little gem very much a home away from home and so close to everything the Eastern Suburbs has to offer. If you are sick of the same old sterile kind of hotels check this place out and you will love it. Price included breakfast, free newspapers, lovely outdoor setting to enjoy breakfast. It's different, but that's exactly why you want to stay there. Lovely friendly staff as well.

Room Tip: Book yourself a car parking space if you have your own vehicle, street parking can be difficult.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gohugo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

I loved this hotel experience. The hotel is quirky, full of hidden gems, rich with history and a perfect place for writers! A literary boutique experience. The ambiance transported you back to long ago. The artwork and decor I found most inspiring.

Along with that, there is a French restaurant attached, which was booked out on a Tuesday night! The food was most reasonably priced but the wine was pricy (imported French), yet it didn't seem to bother the patrons and I was told that the restaurant was booked out most nights!

My room was most comfortable with a beautiful bed and a fireplace - decoratively furnished, very crisp and clean.

I learnt that this hotel is pet friendly and saw some rooms with little courtyards for their pets, although I didn't see any.

All in all I would highly recommend the experience - especially if you are a writer! (By the way, it is owned by Susanne Gervay - one of most colourful Aussie writers!

Room Tip: I would suggest most rooms would be very comfortable, but I didn't have a view (nor did I ask fo...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Suzanne K
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

My husband booked a room here for us for 1 night. Having read the reviews here the day before checking in, I was a bit concerned, but is needn't have worried! The hotel itself is lovely, and we received excellent service on check-in. Our room was lovely - clean, comfortable and with a nice deep bath in the ensuite. The king bed was super comfy. The hotel is in walking distance to some great shops, restaurants and bars. We would stay again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank F0xf0rce5
Bristol
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

We were going to a gig at the Hordern Pavilion and phoned the Hughenden who had two rooms left, it was a very busy weekend for Sydney. Decided on the 'cosy' room as we were literally just going to be sleeping there before leaving early in the morning. Still, everyone wants a nice room, if only for a night. On arrival I was delighted to see the attractive restaurant busy and buzzing, the building from the outside looks lovely and a very promising start to a night away I mistakenly thought. Helpful staff checked us in and the foyer was very nice, polished floorboards, nice bits of furniture and I had in my mind a small bedroom but nicely furnished and well kept. On leaving the foyer and walking to room 32 our hearts dropped, mainly the carpets and general appearance of the public areas towards the rear of the hotel are shabby. Money needs to be spent on updating these areas significantly. Room 32 was as basic as basic can get, I knew it would be small, but it was generally grubby and very very basic, unfortunately it reminded us of a back street cheap hotel. I was disappointed. No effort has gone into these rooms, once again they've maybe been forgotten or hopefully next to be updated, lets hope. I don't know what I expected from €159 though, you live and learn, but maybe something a little more budget boutique. On the plus side breakfast was ok ish and the location was great for us. If we'd have been booked in for more than one night I think I would have left, gone elsewhere and paid a bit more.

Room Tip: Don't book a 'cosy' room, pay a bit more and fingers crossed you might end up with somet...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jeepster03
Jered M, Front Office Manager at Hughenden Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We have been completing our renovations in stages, we started with our Deluxe and Standard Plus rooms initially and most recently we have been working on the common areas and restaurant. We are steadily working our way through all the rooms. We do also have Terrace Apartments across the road from the main building that have more modern facilities. On behalf of the Hughenden I do apologise for the inconvenience of your last stay but we do hope that you choose to stay with us again in future.

Travelers are raving about these Woollahra hotels

Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

This is the first time I have written a negative review. Usually when you have a bad experience at a hotel the manager apologises profusely and tries to make it up to you. This was not the case at the Hughenden. When I discussed the issues below with the manager his response was "I am sorry you feel that way".

We stayed at one of the self contained terraces. This room looked nothing like the picture. It was simply a bedroom with a sink, fridge and microwave and a separate bathroom and courtyard. It was very dark, small and dirty and did not have a separate lounge area as advertised. I highly recommend that the Hughenden redo their pictures of the terraces on their website.

My negative review is due to the following experience:
1. Room not as advertised. No separate lounge area. Small, dark and dirty.
2. When taking bags into our room there was a workman in our bedroom cooking his lunch in the microwave. He apologised as he did not know the place was being used.
3. The room is very dark in the day and at night their is an outdoor light that cannot be switched off and shines directly into the bedroom. It is like sleeping with the lights on.
4. The front gate slams shut and wakes you up. The night we stayed they had an issue with one of the other terraces so we were woken up every 10mins from 10:30pm-11:30pm with the door slamming.
5. The cleaners are petrified of dogs so we couldn't get our room tidied. All we wanted were bins cleaned and new towels but the cleaner was too scared to come in due to our Spoodle.
6.Cable internet did not work
7. Courtyard tiled so not really suitable for dogs.

I suspect based on all the positive reviews that there may be some good rooms at this hotel but I feel sorry for anyone who gets our room at $248 per night (excluding parking).

Room Tip: I did not see any good pet friendly rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lara8Aust
Jered M, Front Office Manager at Hughenden Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We aim to make the stay of each guest as pleasant as possible. When a complaint is made to our staff by any guest, it is always taken seriously, and the issues remedied immediately as best as possible. While all of our rooms are similar in terms of facilities and theme, due to the age and style of the hotel, being in a heritage building, all of our rooms are configured slightly differently. This is noted on the website. Some photos of the rooms are available on the website, but as you can imagine, it is not practical to have a photo of every individual room.

In relation to the light outside of the room, following your comments below, we have now changed this to a timer switch to prevent it from bothering other guests. Again, if it had been mentioned to our staff at the time of your stay, we could have switched the light off.

The Hughenden is proud to claim to be one of the very few pet friendly hotels in Sydney, with 6 rooms approved for guests with pets. Being a pet friendly hotel, we have additional regulations that our staff must follow for Occupational Health and Safety reasons. These rules are imposed upon us in order to comply with workplace laws. One of these rules is that no staff are allowed to enter a room with pets unless the owners are present. Furthermore, as you would have been made aware at the time of check in, there are a number of rules we ask our guests travelling with pets to comply with. One of those is not to leave their pets unattended in their rooms – if the guest needs to leave their pet, we have pet sitting services available. If your pet is left unattended in your room, your room will not be serviced. All guests are made aware of this at check in.

We have recently upgraded our internet connection and WiFi infrastructure at the Hughenden, and our new system provide fast and reliable internet access throughout the hotel.

Thank you again for taking the time to review our hotel, and we look forward to seeing you next time you choose to stay at The Hughenden.
Austin, Texas, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

I've stayed at the Hughenden several times. I like the location in Woollahra, just off of Oxford Street, Paddington. There is upscale shopping and restaurants on Queen Street and more prosaic shops on Oxford. And, Centennial Park is just around the corner for a bit of green open space. There are frequent busses on Oxford into the CBD. Nearest train station is Edgecliff, 15 or 20 minutes walk depending on direction.

The hotel is in an old and rambling building. The rooms are also older, on the small side and definitely not a bland beige contemporary box. Clean and the bed comfortable. There are several lounges in which to relax.

Breakfast buffet is included. Newspapers are gratis. The WiFi is weak.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Blue Mountains Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed here with friends much against my better judgement. I had read previous reviews and was certainly not impressed. However our friends said no you'll like it is slightly shabby without the chic.
Well I think it is a little more than shabby. We were allocated a pet room which had tiled floors - absolutely freezing to walk across in the middle of winter. It had the most aromatic odour I would say pine-o-clean comes to mind since the smell of disinfectant was particularly strong.
There are references to the renovations ..... I could not see anything that had recently been renovated apart from the front lounge.
The quilt on the bed was a joke... a thin cover more suitable to summer than winter. Oh and the mould around the bath was absolutely delightful.
I could go on suffice to say this Hotel is off my return list.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sallymay4
Jered M, Front Office Manager at Hughenden Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, and we are pleased to hear that your friends recommended our hotel to you – we always consider referrals to be the best type of feedback from our guests.

We are proud to be one of the very few hotels in Sydney that provides a number of pet friendly rooms – 6 out of 44 rooms are classified as pet friendly. For health reasons, unlike our other rooms, the pet friendly rooms are tiled, and receive specialised cleaning treatments after a guest has stayed with a pet. As we are a heritage boutique hotel, each room is configured differently in keeping with the history of the building. Our staff pride themselves on their service, and if any guest is unhappy with the room they have been allocated, we are more than happy to move them to another room.

The building is being renovated on a rolling, room by room basis. At this stage, all of our Deluxe rooms and some of our Standard Plus rooms have been renovated, along with many of the common areas, such as the restaurant, bar, hallways, stairwells and outdoor deck area for guests. We have also upgraded our phone system, internet access and Wi-Fi. If you would like to keep a tab on the progress of the renovations, please feel free to follow us on Facebook or check our website.

Thanks again for taking the time to review our hotel.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woollahra
Inner South
Meriton Serviced Apartments, Waterloo
Double Bay
Intercontinental Sydney Double Bay
Paddington
Arts Hotel
Arts Hotel
#92 of 179 in Sydney

Been to Hughenden Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!