“Old, musty, within a retreat with $16 per person "gate fee".”
Review of The Edgeworth Inn

The Edgeworth Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Monteagle B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 13, 2011

Found property on internet. Web-page looks MUCH nicer than facility. Old, shabby, run down and musty. They are located within a retreat, for which we were going to be charged $16 each just to enter the gate, in addition to the room rate of $211 per night. The retreat is called "the Assembly." It may be a wonderful experience, but for travelers wishing overnight facilities for a family visit to Sewanee, it would be very nice to know of the "gate fee" when booking the room. We were informed only on arrival of the fee since "assembly is in session." Owner was actually a pleasant lady, who tried to negotiate to pay half, then all of the gate fee, but when we saw our room we decided to take our chances elsewhere. I have been promised a refund check in the mail. If you are looking for a retreat with facilities similar to a rustic church camp, then this is the place for you. Price point should come in significantly below current rates, perhaps $45 to 60 per night.
Just across street is a very nice facility called Monteagle Inn. Stay there instead.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank bjm35645

Reviewed December 23, 2010

The inn was such a relaxing paradise...we were the only guests that evening---and it was so quaint and quiet---We were treated like royalty..the service could not have been better...our bed was beyond comfortable....our breakfast perfect!!!! We cannot wait to return!!!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2010

Elegant and Relaxing
We were there on business/leisure. Rooms have there own unique personality. Excellent food! All meals were fantastic. The staff is nice and very attentive. The chef was also accommodating to our diet needs. She gave us choices. They all actually care. We even got serenaded by an adorable, talented lady that waited on us..which was an unexpected delight. We loved all the artwork displayed there. It doesn't have all the modern conveniences but all of the above made up for that. We have stayed at other B&B's.. this one is Good!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 7, 2010

While traveling to Chattanooga on business, my husband and I were directed by an associate to stay in Monteagle for a day and evening to experience a Bread and Breakfast inn and the quaint community of Monteagle. When we arrived at the Monteagle Inn, we were advised rooms were unfortunately unavailable due to construction and they kindly referred us to another local B and B, the Edgeworth Inn.

A totally different experience, but charming just the same! The innkeeper was so gracious though it was the dead of winter yet. She went to great lengths to ensure our every need was met and to accommodate our sudden and unexpected arrival. We received great personal service from all the staff, and especially good introductions and arrangements for dining in local restaurants and seeing the best local sights.

The Edgeworth Inn is charming, the accommodations comfortable and the community filled with great history! We highly recommend this stopover to anyone traveling though Tennessee, to take a step back in time and experience the south of of the early 20th century and this unique inn at the Historic Monteagle Chautauqua.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 18, 2010

I was rather disappointed with my stay starting with the moment I arrived at the property and was scolded by the owner for not confirming, though I had their email confirmation from 3 weeks before in hand. Yes, there had been a bit of snow a few days prior, but the roads were passable, even if the walk and steps to the property had not been cleared and were treacherous, especially with no exterior lights at 6:15pm arrival. Owner seemed to have forgotten the reservation as room was not ready, clean, nor heated. The least one can ask for in an historic property is that the floors be clean; instead, I dared not touch the floor littered with dead bugs, hair, and bits of trash when I woke in the night to search for more clothes to put on since the room was so cold. The bath mats were so dirty I kept my shoes on, preferring to shower at next stop. Ancient mattress and plumbing to match the 1896 property with sloping floors. Nice bright white towels yet no tv, radio, phone, clock nor even map of labyrinthine charming community. Nice breakfast and friendly manager/housekeeper/cook. Junky ambiance, full trashcans, old newspapers and coupon mags.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank nashreader
Reviewed May 4, 2009

The Edgeworth Inn is a great place to eat and visit but the the bed was from the 1800's not sure the mattress has ever been replaced. It had a serious slope in the center. The bathroom was tiny to say the least. If you don't mind staying in a place where modern conveniences don't exist than this is the place for you. The walls are paper thin. We could hear everyone's conversations. The area and houses surrounding are beautiful and well worth walking the bridges and area. The food was very good. Dinner was a bit pricey for what it was. We stayed in the Chataugua Suite(which is located next to the gathering area and dining area, not a good choice!!!! If you do decide to stay, try another room.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank saavytraveler50
Reviewed February 27, 2009

I stayed at the Edgeworth Inn and it is a lovely B&B but not for business travelers. There was no wireless internet access. Also, I found that I was a little lost and called the Inn several times between 6-8 pm and no one answered my call or called me back after I left messages. What if I had a genuine emergency? When I arrived, there was just a note with my room number, no key for the outside door which as a woman traveling alone did not sit well with me...I don't think it was locked all night. The bed was comfortable and the breakfast decent in the morning.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monteagle
The Sewanee Inn
Motel 6 Monteagle
Motel 6 Monteagle
#5 of 6 in Monteagle
Monteagle Inn & Retreat Center

Been to The Edgeworth Inn? Share your experiences!