“Make the stop”

The Smoke House Lodge & Cabins
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Monteagle
Reviewed August 19, 2014

Pleasant surprise at the "top of the mountain". Large rooms, nicely furnished, very comfortable beds. Attached SmokeHouse restaurant had excellent BBQ, nice buffet. Live local music. Staff was great... that warm, friendly, "down home" welcome you'll only find in Tennessee, USA.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
hamper1960, Owner at The Smoke House Lodge & Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2014

Thank you so much for your review, we appriciate your comments.

Reviewed August 18, 2014

Checked in a 3:45 pm. No towels in room - actually, a couple of left over towels (assume clean?) from the last guest. I mean 1 bath towel and 1 wash cloth was it (for 2 adults). Called from desk. They were OUT/apparently full house night before (lots of excuses but no towels). Left, did some errands, 1-1/2 hours later, still no towels. Two more trips to the office to finally get towels. (And another trip because the door card quit working.) That night, 10:30 p.m. turned in for the night - guess what? DAMP SHEETS!!! Apparently, a problem with laundry. It was COMPLETELY DISGUSTING. I slept on top of the towels (that I finally stood in the office and waited to receive). The hotel is being remodeled. No chain or slide lock on the interior door (so if you are inside, the staff can still come on in with a key...). The room was decent and appeared to be clean - so no issues there but it was SO noisy. There is a laminated floor and apparently the person above me paced, clomped and dropped things - literally all night long (12, 1, 2, 3 - yes all night). There was a glass plate of chicken bones and a take out cup on one of the railings outside that was there when we arrived, and no one cleaned it up (still there when we left the next day). I'm still at a loss over the towels and sheets. Even if a hotel is full, there's no way that every towel in the place (do they not have any extras?) could be dirty at the same time. I assume they rushed through the sheets (why they were still damp to get to the towels). We were on the front side of the hotel (don't do it). The back side looked nicer and seemed to have a bit of a view. But, unless there is a major announcement of a management change, I will never stay there again. I've never been happier to leave a hotel. And, when I checked out, the staff never asked about my stay (though they did ask another person who checked out at the same time). I guess with my three appearances in the lobby the day before, they already knew my answer, however, I sure would have liked to tell them about those funky sheets! But, I guess that's what Trip Advisor is all about. I'm very sure they will provide a rebuttal, but please read "EXCUSES" into what they say. There is NO excuse for this other than they need a staff/management change. Don't do it people. There are other hotels in there area - check them out.

Room Tip: Don't do it! But, if you choose not to listen, then stay in the back side or one of the newer ca...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank TravelingFromTN
hamper1960, Owner at The Smoke House Lodge & Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2014

You are right, there is no excuse for most of these problems, we dropped the ball and our management did not follow up checking the room as should be, and the laundry should have had the laundry done, period. We have plenty of linens, but evidently they didn't follow up on their job. We are very sorry for your experience and are following up on correcting these issues. Thanks for your review and comments, it's customers like you that help us to make correctioins and make for a better property.

Reviewed August 18, 2014

We had a small gathering of buddies on the mountain and quite enjoyed the rooms and back porch at the Best Western. They had very comfy 2-person gliders looking over the beautiful property and we had a great visit.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you so much for your comments, we appriciate your review and your business.

Reviewed August 15, 2014

Don't let the beautiful surroundings or inflated room prices fool you. If you stay here, then you're apt to have a really bad experience, we did for sure. The room looked really nice with its hardwood floors. That should have been an omen to us, because the upstairs has hardwood floors too. Igor above us must have worn spiked shoes as he traversed his room every 90 seconds until about 2:00 AM the first night. The air conditioning made huge noises every time it turned on or off. It also spewed huge amounts of moisture into the room, leaving a musky smell in the room. Lysol spray couldn't overcome the smell. The wet air ended up giving me a cold, and I'm ill even as I write this review. The Smokehouse Restaurant's signature food wasn't very good. I got pulled pork, and it looked like it had been put into a blender and chewed up. It had almost no smoked flavor. I suspect the blender might have contributed to that. I sent it back, regretfully because I enjoy pulled pork that's properly cooked over wood.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
6  Thank Gerald F

Thank you Gerald for your comments and review, we apologize for your less than desirable experiences. We are working on making major renovation changes to the whole property and hope to correct many of these issues you brought up. In the restaurant you did the right thing by sending it back, we do not expect anyone to consume food thay are not satisfied with. We have good food, sometimes it needs to be refreshed or discarded, and obviously someone dropped the ball on your order. Thank you.

Reviewed August 15, 2014

We stayed here when our son came to accepted students and also when we dropped him off at college as a freshman. He loves the Smokehouse Restaurant -- and the big portions! The hotel is very convenient -- only 5 miles from Sewanee, with lots of parking. It is the hotel we always stay at when visiting the college. However, this time the in-room wifi didn't work, and it's somewhat inconvenient that they don't offer breakfast in the restaurant and they were doing a lot of construction which lent the hotel a messy look.. The hotel is very reasonably priced and nice and quiet, offering a good sleep.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you, we appreciate your comments.

Reviewed August 6, 2014

The maid try to steal my iPad had to call police and it was found in between the mattresses ! The police said it never left the room so it wasn't theft and we could have put it there! REALLY DONT STAY Best western is apparently not always the best. Be very aware of this place. Corporate said they would do an investigation and weeks later I still have not been contacted!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Carol G

We have investigated this incident and found no wrong doing here. We have already addressed this comment in previous responses. The suspicisions about the maid are not valid.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

All of the staff were so kind and helpful really couldn't have asked for better . The room appeared clean until I had to wipe up some water from the floor holy molly your white towel from bathroom turned black ! I am not over stating this, it was completely filthy black! It really was a shame, up until that point everything seemed well cared for and clean. I understand the need in having dark wood floors placed in the rooms but seriously mop your floors daily . The only reason I am giving 2 stars is the filth of those floors . Everything else was great .

Room Tip: check for clean floors. oh and also no elevators so if you need a main floor request such when you...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rain6171

Thank you for your comments and review. I will check into this issue and find out why you experienced this problem. We appreciate your comments, they help us improve.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Monteagle
The Sewanee Inn
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#2 of 17 in Manchester
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Manchester

Been to The Smoke House Lodge & Cabins? Share your experiences!