“A Great Suprise”

The Smoke House Lodge & Cabins
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Monteagle
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I was working in Monteagle TN. There ar not a lot of places to stay in the small town. A co worker suggested this place. So I tried them. It is a most wonderful place. They have the regular hotel with rooms, and out back of the hotel they have 1 and 2 room cabins. Very quaint. I was pleasntly suprised and shocked at how nice it was. I stayed in a cabin, it was one room, they all have a kitchenette with a stove refrigerator, microwave,and a dining table, also a whirlpool tub in each cabin( I didn't use mine though). The place was really clean, the bed slept good you can sit on the screened in porch and watch the sunset, it was really nice. I don't smoke, all the cabins are smoking I was concerned about that. The clerk told me it was because of the firepalces in them. She said if it is to much she would move me. It wasn't bad, couldn't smell the stale cigarette smell it was a fireplace smell. Reminded me of my childhood. Not a lot of places to eat there, but the Smokehouse restaurant was pretty good.
I called my wife and told her i was in my little cabin in the woods. She was jealous. I am going back with her soon. There is so much to say about this place,I recomend you go and check it out,you'll love it.

Room Tip: Get a cabin you'll be glad you did.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Rick B

Reviewed July 18, 2012

This is a great motel. The service is very friendly and the rooms are very clean. They are your standard fair for Best Western though, nothing facny. The smokehouse restaurant has a great breakfast buffett. The cabins are the amazing and most even have a porch to sit on and enjoy sunrise, sunset and nature with drink of choice. Easy access to Sewanee and nearby sites including George Dickel distillery.

Room Tip: Get a cabin, they are amazing.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Landman_10
Reviewed July 15, 2012

My wife and I arrived here on a Friday for my Reunion at St Andrews-Sewanee and were promptly checked in by the front desk staff. We were assigned a cabin, as we had asked for and when we got to it we both agreed it was just like we had envisioned “our little cabin in the woods”

The only thing we found wrong was the lighting was a little dim and two of the light fixtures were burned out. A phone call to the front desk brought two maintence men quickly and they immediately solved the problem.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paul B
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Our kids (age 10, 8 and 4) LOVED the cabins.. it was easy to walk to the main restaurant and pool but we felt we were in a little hideaway in the mountains. Very reasonable pet fees and nice staff to boot. Mattresses were a little hard and the whirlpool took forever to fill but the cabins were spacious and had every amenity you could want. The kids thought the "ham-shaped pool" was hilarious, despite being much smaller than expected from the photo. The general store attached to the restaurant was also a great distraction with all sorts of quirky antiques and yummy fudge. We would definitely come back!

Room Tip: definitely book a cabin!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Check in was a nightmare. I am 44 years old. I brought my 74 year old disabled mother to a music conference at the university. I don't live here so I had to spend the night. I made my reservation online with my credit card. We arrived just before a sit-down dinner and I dropped my mother off so she could change at her room at DuBose Conference Center.

I arrived with three forms of id, and my mother's credit card, which I am authorized to use (I have power of attorney and she also wanted to pay for the room since I brought her here). They said I needed a credit card authorization. I suggested they speak with my mother on the phone which they refused. Remember my MOTHER IS DISABLED SO SHE COULD NOT COME BACK TO THE HOTEL. They made me late for dinner because it took an hour to check in. I had to go back to the conference center. My mother had to give me her cash for the room which she was going to use during the week at the university.

They did not give me a receipt for my cash payment. When I asked for one Dawn stated they don't give receipts until checkout, EVEN THOUGH I PAID CASH. This is a shady place.

Each location is independently owned and operated, so they have discretion and could have (and should have) allowed my mother to pay for the room with her credit card. I'm not a 20 year old trying to scam somebody. I gave them every opportunity to make check-in a quick as possible so I could get to dinner. 20 other people were waiting for me. My mother is on the Board of Directors and I was to be her dinner guest.

The carpet in the room was soaking wet.

Dawn was particularly rude and unhelpful.

Thanks for ruining my evening.

S W

Room Tip: rooms on the back are quiet
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

We apologize for the problems you encountered on your visit at the Smoke House, however I must say that your expectation for the approval to use her card, without her being present, is not the norm, and credit card bank companies have rules against this type use; I don't think you or anyone else can expect a desk clerk to accept someone else's credit card with out some reasonable concern on their part, no matter what ID you had at the time.

I can sympathize with you to some extent; I have been in similar situation with my mom also a disabled person, not present to validate a request of this nature. But, we as a policy, don't allow persons to use another's credit card for service here when the credit card owner is not present to sign the voucher; all the credit card companies also have a policy that credit cards are acceptable and payable only when the owner of the card is present with proper identification and their signature approval; transactions without the credit card owner’s signature are not valid; age has nothing to do with our accepting your Mom’s credit card in this instance.

You, a 44 year old man, should plan to use your own credit card or cash, and get reimbursed by your mom from her funds; lack of planning on your part was the cause of your delay and ruined evening. What you did in trying to use someone else's card was the shady part of this evening.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

On Valentine weekend my husband & I reserved a one bedroom cabin at the Smoke House Lodge. It was nice & quiet & we even had a hot tub to enjoy! After a big meal at the nearby High Point Restuarant, the cabin was a great place to sit back & relax!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Wow! We stayed in one of the cabins at the Smoke House. We had a great time after spending the day hiking on the Fiery Gizzard Trail. The lodge folks were nice enough to come and pick us up at the end of the the 13 mile trail and take us back to our car at the trail head. We had the best time relaxing by the fireplace in our cabin drinking the bottle of wine we picked up from the winery across the street. If you need to get away from Nashville for the night, this place is great being only about 1.5 hours away.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Craig H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monteagle
The Sewanee Inn
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#2 of 17 in Manchester
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Manchester

Been to The Smoke House Lodge & Cabins? Share your experiences!