Jim Oliver's Smoke House Restaurant and Old General Store
Ranked #3 of 24 Restaurants in Monteagle
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Buffet, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Open Everyday, 6:30 AM - 9:PM, 10 PM on Fri & Sat. Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. Since 1960, family owned and operated World Famous Jim Oliver’s Smoke House has been serving up delicious and fun Southern Hospitality at the _Restaurant and _shopping at the Old General Store. Menu Featuring Everything Homemade from scrach Famous Smoked Meats such as Pork BBQ Ribs, Beef Brisket, Smoked Chicken, Hand Pulled Pork Shoulder, Country Ham, Honey Baked Ham, Smoked Bacon, Catfish, Frog Legs, Fried Chicken Livers, and all the BBQ and Hot Sauces to go with it; worlds largest selection of sauces all free to taste. Jams, Pickles, Vinegars, Sauces, Desert Toppings, Local Honey, Homemade candy & Fudge, Homemade Fried Pies & Ice Cream, Fresh local farmer Hand Picked Produce featured in all dishes, big all you can eat Buffet & Fresh Salad Bar with homemade Beef-Vegetable Stew and Cast Iron Skillet Cornbread & Bread Pudding. Cast Iron Cooking for many of our items featured. Fresh Hot Biscuits, Cornbread, and desserts. Childrens' menu. Large Beer Selection. _Live Music every weekend by special Nashville Music Artists, No Cover Charge, Bring the Family, food and beverages served during show. Regional Southern cookin’ offering three generations of family recipes on the menu and the daily buffet & Salad Bar, Homemade everyday! The Old General Store has Vintage and Nostalgic merchandise_old fashioned _candies_antiques_homemade fudge_Ice Cream_ Moonshine Museum Attraction, and the_Louvin Brothers _Country Music _Museum. /live music/shopping/lodging/cabins/Sewanee/Winchester/ Cowan/Manchester/South Pittsburg/Tullahoma/AEDC/Nissan/Chattanooga/ Lookout Mountain/McMinville/Murfreesboro/Desserts/Coffee/Full Service_Childrens Menu_Family_Regional_BBQ_Breakfast_Lunch_Dinner
Franklin, Tennessee
“Yum”
Reviewed September 2, 2014

Jim Olivers is always one of our must go-to stops when in Monteagle, TN. The only reason that I marked this as a 4 instead of a 5 star is that if you are looking for vegitarian or a healthful meal, you may be dissapointed. However, you will never be disappointed in the home cooking you find here! You can order from a menu or select their all-you-can eat buffet witch includes soup and salad along with entrees and sides. Yes, there are vegatables. However, they are likely to be cooked with ham or bacon as a seasoning. Yum! The evening we were they had wonderful fried chicken, pulled pork, and chicken and dumplings on the buffet. Be sure you try the samples of their sauces, jellies, pickles, fudge, and other products while you are there. Tasting is free. Yum! Also, don't forget to take home one of their fried pies for later!!! You really must try this place. The pace is slow on the mountain, so be ready to just relax for a leisurely meal.

• Visited September 2014
hamper1960, Owner at Jim Oliver's Smoke House Restaurant and Old General Store, responded to this review, September 15, 2014

South Jordan, Utah
“Excellent Southern Food”
Reviewed August 27, 2014

My husband is a Southern boy and compares food to how his Mother and Grandmother prepared it. He thought the food here was excellent. Especially the fried chicken and fried green tomatoes. The breading was awesome. Daughter thought the cheesy grits were the best she'd had on this trip to the South. Would definitely recommend this restaurant. Order from the menu, not the buffet. Server was wonderful!

• Visited August 2014
Those grits are a house favorite! Thank you so much for your review and we appreciate you taking the time to let folks know what you think about our place. Come back and see us whenever you can. Thank You.
Midway, Utah
“Buffet Breakfast”
Reviewed August 27, 2014

Very average buffet breakfast, nothing special but filling if you are hungry. Wasn't even offered a coffee refill.

Visited August 2014
Thank you so much for your review and we appreciate you taking the time to let folks know what you think about our place. Sorry for the lack of service on your coffee refills. Next time try our breakfast menu, you'll find more choices there than the Breakfast buffet. Come back and see us whenever you can. Thank You.
Mount Vernon, Illinois
“Road Weary and Hungry? Stop here.”
Reviewed August 24, 2014

We have driven through Monteagle for years, but had never stopped until now. We are glad we did. The decor of Jim Oliver's Smokehouse takes you back to a simpler time. We were greeted by friendly staff in the general store and directed to the restaurant. We were asked if we wanted to view the buffet before deciding on our order. We declined and opted for menus. Our tables were near the window in the main dining area. It was Friday night and a band was playing in the bar. We ordered pulled pork dinners and sampled many bbq sauces. I can't tell you which was my favorite because they all were good with different characteristics. I do wish the menu had pork chops because I think the raspberry sauce would be perfect on pork chops. The pulled pork was excellent and could stand on its own without any sauce. Too many bbq stands rely on the sauce. This is not the case at Jim Oliver's.
Even though we were stuffed, we could not pass up the opportunity to try a fried pie. My husband and I split one. One is definitely big enough for two. We had the coconut fried pie with coconut ice cream: delicious! Their coffee is very good as well.
Our waitress, Chelsea, was very friendly, informative and helpful.
The country store has bottles of sauce, rubs, and jams for sale as well as fudge and other various items.
We returned a week later and found the same level of food and service. We picked up some bbq sauce.
My 2 negative experiences were the temperature of the dining room. Most of the women who were dining were wearing sweaters and hoodies because the restaurant is cold. The other is the cleanliness of the bathroom. It wasn't gross, but there was a great deal of paper towel and toilet paper on the floors. Also, the soap and paper towels were low in quantity. I would suggest having someone service the restrooms more often.
I would go back again. I highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited August 2014
I think we need pork chops too, and we are looking into that. Thank you so much for your review and we appreciate you taking the time to let folks know what you think about our place. Come back and see us whenever you can. Thank You.
Franklin, Tennessee
“Would not go back”
Reviewed August 21, 2014

Crossing Monteagle, my wife and I decided to grab something to eat on our way to Barnsley Resort (which is awesome, by the way) in Adairsville, Georgia. We like to avoid fast food chains and try to seek out local places. In this particular case, we should have hit Hardee's.

The place certainly tries to be funky, however, it comes off as junky. The place is very dark and is filled with, and decorated with, all means of crap, little of which is interesting. There were cats roaming the restaurant (maybe charming to some, creepy to me).

The restaurant has an all you can eat buffet, and if you want to put on the feed bag, I suppose this might be an option. My wife and I were just in the mood for something on the lighter side. When we tried to get some information out of our waiter about some of the items on the menu, he was not very knowledgeable...said he was a yankee, as if that excused him from knowing anything about working in a Southern restaurant.

My wife ordered the open faced smoked turkey sandwich and I ordered the pulled pork BBQ sandwich. My wife's sandwich in no way resembled what was described on the menu. It looked and tasted artificial. We both agreed it was gross. She sent it back and asked for a BLT. My BBQ sandwich would rate a 5 on a scale of 1-10. The service was inattentive...I had to get up 3 times to find the waiter to ask for things and this was at 3 in the afternoon...not exactly prime time.

The manager came over to "apologize" about the turkey sandwich, but did so in a manner that indicated she disagreed with our assessment of the quality of the product and which made us feel we must me wrong since it was from a turkey that she assured us had "just been smoked that morning." After over 45 years of working in the restaurant business, I think I know food quality by now, and this item was not at all appetizing.

Long story short - Do yourself a favor and don't drive past other restaurants to get to this place if you are expecting an outstanding, memorable (or even average) dining experience.

1 Thank Bruce L
hamper1960, Owner at Jim Oliver's Smoke House Restaurant and Old General Store, responded to this review, August 23, 2014
Thank you for your response, we appreciate feed back, we apologize for your experience. This kind of response is rare, we usually get rave reviews about our food and atmosophere. Your negative comments about our vintage and nostalgic atmosophere leads me to believe that you are not fond of antiques, homemade anything, crafts, BBQ sauces, jams, pickles or nothing else we have,; and that is what we are all about, you should have known that when you walked in the door. Not everybody loves the Smoke House, nor the food, and we cannot be 100% on every plate of food that we serve, no one can; we apologize for that and don't expect customers to pay for food they don't eat or food that isn't worth the money. Granted, the server could have given you better service, we apologize. Obviously we cannot change what we are or who we are, so you would be better served to stop at another business. If in fact you've been in the food business for over 30 years, your response doesn't indicate that.

Travelers who viewed Jim Oliver's Smoke House Restaurant and Old General Store also viewed

Been to Jim Oliver's Smoke House Restaurant and Old General Store? Share your experiences!