“Some good, some OK”

Jim Oliver's Smoke House Restaurant Trading post
Ranked #3 of 26 Restaurants in Monteagle
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Buffet, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Since 1960 Family owned & operated Authentic Unique Vintage Nostalgic Restaurant, Gift Shop, Meeting Center, Mountain Lodge, & Cabins. Farm to Table Local Foods. Regional Authentic Menu & Cooking. Smoked Meats BBQ Ribs Brisket Chicken Hams Bacon Turkey. Full Menu & Generous Buffet w/Salad Bar + Skillet Corn Bread & Bread Pudding. Family & Group Friendly. Meetings Reunions Weddings Receptions Groups Indoor & Outdoor 20 acre campus. Large portions fair prices children's pricing. Live Music Fri & Sat nights, no admission, food & beverages served during show, family friendly & room for groups. Vacation Cabins for Couples Families & Groups on 20 acres of recreation. Close to Bluegrass Underground, The Caverns, Fall Creek Falls, South Cumberland State Park, Sewanee, Tim's Ford, Nickajack, Manchester, South Pittsburgh, Jack Daniels, Chattanooga, Nissan, Decherd, Winchester, Fiery Gizzard Trail, Savage Gulf, Stone Door. As seen in Southern Living, Tennessee Crossroads, Tennessee Magazine.
Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here overnight and ate supper at their restaurant. Although a little "over the hill" and in need of a serious update, it's still a charming stop over in the mountains. They have a general store that overwhelms the senses with their canned and bottled goodies. The homemade fudge is very good...recommend the chocolate whisky variety...and u can have a sample of ur choice for free. Jim the pit master had a big pile of smoked pork, beef, and ribs he was handing out as samples. I had a nice conversation with him about his technique. My wife ordered the pulled pork sandwich and i got the Smokehouse Club. She said her pork was very good. She had apples and hash browns for sides and they were tasty. My Sammie was superb. It was served hot and it's not your routine deli meat club. Real thick cut sugar ham, smokehouse smoked turkey breast, and house smoked bacon piled high. They drag it thru the garden if u ask, and there's enough for two...I'd get it again in a heartbeat. I had fried green tomatoes as a side and I couldn't eat them...soggy and greasy. That knocked down the food rating. Our room was clean and quiet...serviceable but not elegant. Staff was excellent and helpful. Good value for the money, but don't go shopping crazy in the store :-)

hamper1960, Owner at Jim Oliver's Smoke House Restaurant Trading post, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Thank you so much for your comments and for your business, we appreciate both. Next time we'll do better on the fried green tomatoes. Our business has been here since 1960, and yes, some things may be a little old, but that doesn't stand in the way of good food and good service. We are renovating and cleaning up a lot of clutter from the years, but leaving all the good stuff that fascinate folks who keep coming back to the Smoke House. Thank you and come back and see us.

Reviewed April 11, 2014

I had read the reviews and really was looking forward to a nice meal, but was disappointed. First, we waited at the hostess station for several minutes with about 6-8 other parties waiting to be seated, two of which left before anyone came to seat us. Then when someone finally came to seat us we didn't even get an apology for the long wait, just a hostess that seemed overwhelmed and ready to go home. Second, the menu seemed over priced, that is just my opinion. The buffet was good, but not for the price. I had the brisket or roast beef, I can't even remember what it was but could not eat it. It was really really tough. Even my husband wouldn't eat it and he will eat about anything. Maybe it was an off day for this restaurant, but not at all what we expected. One good point was our server, she was so sweet and attentive. Best part of the whole experience.

Thank you for your comments, sorry you were disappointed with some things here. We have been very busy this spring break season, and there has been a little waiting in line on some occasions when all tables are either seated or dirty. The buffet price is the same price we've had for 10 years now, and we get very few complaints about the price for the food that is served, we serve 3 meats, 8 hot vegetables, 21 salad bar items, hot soup, cornbread, bread pudding, and loads of accessories. I myself eat at other restaurants all around, and our prices are either in line or below others for same items, our portions are plentiful, we don't skimp. Plus, I can assure you that our food is prepared from scratch, not poured out of a can, or a bag like a lot of others; we use family recipes from many generations in our menu. Our business has been here since 1960 and I can assure you that we didn't get here by being mediocre. Come back and give us another try.

Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

The country store and restaurant are so cute . The food is great never had a bad meal . I love their fried green tomatoes . Mike who does the smoking is a great guy friendly explains how the food is smoked . They sell many rubs and sauces all his recipes . He is a wealth of knowledge with the biggest smile you will ever see . Don't miss out . My son always has me get smoked turkey to take home . And don't forget the fudge . Try it enjoy and you will be back again and again. The entire staff is supper friendly and make you feel at home.

Thank you so much for your compliments about the Smoke House, I will definitely pass them on to the whole staff and Smokin Man Mike at the smoker. Come back and see us soon!

Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

The buffet food was not hot. I ordered a pulled pork plate with Mac and cheese. She brought me Mac and cheese from the buffet at room temperature. The pork was good but the fried green tomatoes were excellent....hot and crispy. The store is awesome. Lots of country jelly and sauces. You could spend an hour in the store. Very interesting.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

What a wonderful experience at Jim Oliver's. We arrived during the lunch buffet, and it was delicious with real home cooked taste. The price was reasonable for the amount of food available. I requested biscuits from our server and he brought a basketful. The restaurant allows you to sample their sauces and jellies which are also for sale in the attached country store. After the long, slow climb to the top of the mountain, it was nice to stretch our legs and enjoy a great lunch. The service was outstanding and we felt like family. We will definitely stop again and highly recommend that other folks do too.

hamper1960, Owner at Jim Oliver's Smoke House Restaurant Trading post, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Thank you so much for your review, I will pass this on to the staff for their appreciation. Its great to hear from you. Thanks,