Jim Oliver's Smoke House Restaurant and Old General Store
Ranked #3 of 24 Restaurants in Monteagle
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Buffet, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Open Everyday, 6:30 AM - 9:PM, 10 PM on Fri & Sat. Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. Since 1960, family owned and operated World Famous Jim Oliver’s Smoke House has been serving up delicious and fun Southern Hospitality at the _Restaurant and _shopping at the Old General Store. Menu Featuring Everything Homemade from scrach Famous Smoked Meats such as Pork BBQ Ribs, Beef Brisket, Smoked Chicken, Hand Pulled Pork Shoulder, Country Ham, Honey Baked Ham, Smoked Bacon, Catfish, Frog Legs, Fried Chicken Livers, and all the BBQ and Hot Sauces to go with it; worlds largest selection of sauces all free to taste. Jams, Pickles, Vinegars, Sauces, Desert Toppings, Local Honey, Homemade candy & Fudge, Homemade Fried Pies & Ice Cream, Fresh local farmer Hand Picked Produce featured in all dishes, big all you can eat Buffet & Fresh Salad Bar with homemade Beef-Vegetable Stew and Cast Iron Skillet Cornbread & Bread Pudding. Cast Iron Cooking for many of our items featured. Fresh Hot Biscuits, Cornbread, and desserts. Childrens' menu. Large Beer Selection. _Live Music every weekend by special Nashville Music Artists, No Cover Charge, Bring the Family, food and beverages served during show. Regional Southern cookin’ offering three generations of family recipes on the menu and the daily buffet & Salad Bar, Homemade everyday! The Old General Store has Vintage and Nostalgic merchandise_old fashioned _candies_antiques_homemade fudge_Ice Cream_ Moonshine Museum Attraction, and the_Louvin Brothers _Country Music _Museum. /live music/shopping/lodging/cabins/Sewanee/Winchester/ Cowan/Manchester/South Pittsburg/Tullahoma/AEDC/Nissan/Chattanooga/ Lookout Mountain/McMinville/Murfreesboro/Desserts/Coffee/Full Service_Childrens Menu_Family_Regional_BBQ_Breakfast_Lunch_Dinner
Reviewed February 12, 2013

The food was extremely salty. The atmosphere was cheesy. We didn't want the buffet but saw them serve us food off the buffet. Should've walked out. Don't know why we didn't.

2  Thank Mmmmarilynn
hamper1960, Owner at Jim Oliver's Smoke House Restaurant and Old General Store, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

We have been getting some negative feedback in our community from a newly opened competitor, who is making negative comments about the other restaurants in our area too. This is just inmature and unprofessional.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We went to the Smokehouse Restaurant for dinner. There was pleasant live music and a nice environment. The service was horrible. The server was nice but it seemed that she had too many tables to attend to. We had a difficult getting the server to bring drinks and refills or take our order. She tried to give us 2 other tables food. However, we weren't in a huge hurry and didn't complain. My husband ordered a rack of ribs which had a good flavor. I ordered a stuffed baked potatoe. The plate was made up of 2 small potatoes to look like one big one. Both potatoes were not fresh but it was edible. The restaurant was convenient since we stayed at the cabins next door. Everyone was friendly and the gift shop was interesting to look around. Even with the poor service and mediocre food, the visit was pleasant and we would go back again for the laid back environment.

Thank you for your comments. I remember this night you are speaking about, we were short at least one server that night in the music room, and one out front, and we had a bus of 40 suprise us in the front dining room too, so that made service take a long time and some of the servers got disoriented. Normally, we have very good service and food, just got caught with not enough help for the number of customers that came in all at once and slammed us; can't predict how many customers will come in, nor if employees will call out; every position is necessary to make things go well.

Hope you will give us another try, come stay in the cabins again, see a live music show, and let us show you we are better at this than what you experienced on this visit you reference above.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

I was there the same day that someone wrote a poor review of the buffet - February 5th, 2013 - and I had an awesome meal. I've been hearing about this place from friends for a while, but I usually am whizzing over the mountain going between Atlanta and Nashville, too busy to notice this gem of a place. Finally the stars all lined up and I hit Monteagle right at lunchtime, so I had to go find the Smoke House. It's next door to the Best Western, and you will swear you just stepped back into southern country heritage and back about 50 years when you walk in the front door.

This is real traditional southern food at its best. I could not help thinking they must have an army of grandmothers back in the kitchen, each making their own favorite Sunday pot-luck church meeting special, and each one trying to out-do the others. You can't go north of the Mason-Dixon line, and not many places left here in the south, where you can get a broccoli casserole or a squash casserole as good as what I found on the lunch buffet. The fact that they were BOTH there insured that I was going to eat too much and hurt myself. The fried chicken was not greasy - it was crisp and delicious. The pulled pork was also top-notch.

I was afraid to put the hot sauce on it (when you read the label, you'll understand why) but the "regular" stuff was savory and delicious.

The cornbread was baked in a big cast-iron skillet (the only correct way to do it) and there were samples of fresh home-made jellies and preserves to temp you.

I don't know why it took me so long to find this place, but I won't miss an opportunity to go back!

For real, folks - if you don't like this place, then you just have no appreciation for southern culture and food. A true gem. And NO - I don't work for them. I have traveled around the world and have posted a lot of reviews of both greasy dives and very fancy upscale places.

It's great to read this review. Our wish is that all customers have a simular positive impression with Jim Oliver's Smoke House, everytime; we know this is impossible to achieve, but it's nice to hear the good things too. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Come see us on your next trip over Monteagle Mountain.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

My Cousin and I stopped in, on our way to Mt. and thoroughly enjoyed the food. The hot sauces aren't, plus they contain high fructose corn syrup, which is nasty stuff for your body! But I will definitely stop in again, when in the area! The buffet when I was there, lunch time, was fine. Neat store, and pleasant employees. They were remodeling when we were there. I have no problem recommending it to Friends, and family. Great smoked food! Made a long trip enjoyable.

R. Kimberly

hamper1960, Owner at Jim Oliver's Smoke House Restaurant and Old General Store, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

THANK YOU SO MUCH! for the recent response. We appreciate you stopping by to see us. One point about our BBQ sauces, they don't contain high fructose corn syrup, they have sugar from sugar cane.
Thank you and hope you will come back to visit us soon.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Happened to see your sign on the highway (I-24) from Wisconsin to Florida so I looked you up quick on the internet and we decided to stop in for a late lunch.

Very good and the individuals you have representing you were great!
Kristen was our server but everyone was just as great.

Thank you for a very pleasant and “stuffing” stop. :-)
(Full rack of ribs - leftovers and steak. Both with soup and salad. - - yum! and of course our choice of fudge - double and triple yum!)

J&J Sterr

Thank you so much for taking the time to send in your review, we appreciate your comments. Come see us again on your next trip over Monteagle Mountain.

Travelers who viewed Jim Oliver's Smoke House Restaurant and Old General Store also viewed

Been to Jim Oliver's Smoke House Restaurant and Old General Store? Share your experiences!