“Good couples get together location”
Review of Dave's Modern Tavern - CLOSED

Dave's Modern Tavern
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 3, 2014

Dave's has something for every appetite, large or small. Ask when the fish and oysters arrived, and get them if they are fresh within the last two days. Great burgers, good steaks. Try the outside seating in the summer or fall. Its undercover so if it rains, no problem. Also Dave's has the best beer selection on the mountain.

Reviewed August 27, 2014

Dave's can be great and it can be disappointing. I have had really good brunch more than once, dinner is just startlingly inconsistent. The Crabcake Benedict and Club Benedict are both pretty good and my guests have always enjoyed their brunch. The dinner service seems to be the issue. I'm a steak lover and I just can't order a steak at Dave's. If you serve a strip Med Rare or lower, you shouldn't serve a strip. They seem to end up inexplicably greasy as well. Stick to burgers if you can't be bothered to watch the grill. On a very positive note, if you need a place for good appetizers, a good beer selection and a better than average wine selection, you can do a whole lot worse than Dave's. Cool outdoor space is also a plus. The service is also a bright spot, we have always been well cared for by the staff. Bring your wallet. $$$

2  Thank JRockTN
Reviewed August 22, 2014

Place has a decent atmosphere. Nice outdoor deck area and bar. My server was very good. However, I have eaten there several times in the past couple of years and the food continues to decline. The prices are relatively high, too. It just feels that all of the food is packaged and heated up quickly in a pan or microwaved. I have no proof of this, just feels that way. I had BBQ and, to me, is pretty hard to make BBQ that I don't like. They managed to....it was swimming in water; whether it was off the BBQ or the coleslaw, it was very unappetizing. Other recent visits with other dishes have had similar results. I will go back there again....but only for beer.

2  Thank osceola84
Reviewed July 18, 2014

We tried Dave's first a few years ago for lunch. It was OK, and I loved the creme brulee but it wasn't so good that we became regulars. We went back again this year for Sunday brunch, had the Eggs Benedict and again the creme brulee, and loved it. However, when we returned a few weeks later for dinner, we were dismayed. The steak was overcooked, greasy and tough, the seafood dismal, and the creme brulee was broken, grayish and bitter. As much as I wanted to like it, I just kept thinking that there are plenty of other places within a 20 mile radius of this small rural community where we can get food that is 500% better and 50% cheaper.

2  Thank S J
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Apparently at the highest elevation between Chicago, Illinois and Atlanta, Georgia it was a great spot to stop for lunch....Well maintained and decorated modern tavern, with still a very much Mountain flair to it..The service was excellent, kudos to Lauren, ...the menu was varied and delightful...wine list was superior...would definitely stop again, hopefully next time for dinner..