“Lesson learnt”

Hotel Urban St Leonards
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in St Leonards
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Be very careful when booking with this hotel. Their reservation staff say one thing and you actually get another. Then when you question it you are told there is nothing they can do. Very poor customer assistance when the hotel was at fault. When you book make sure you have a booking confirmation sent to you to prove what room type you have booked.

The reception staff were very friendly as were the restaurant staff. Food was good too. Shame about the management. I would not go back.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Hotel U, General Manager at Hotel Urban St Leonards, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Thanks for your review Lesley F,

We're so glad that you received a warm welcome from our friendly team and enjoyed sampling our delicious Sure Café menu – we often get great feedback about our food and coffee from guests and regular locals.

It's disappointing to hear that there was some confusion with your booking communication. If you would like to contact us at stay@hotelurban.com.au and let us know when you booked we would like to look into this further and find out what information was mis-communicated to you.

Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Visiting a friend @ Mater hospital. Location was convenient but it was traffic noisy. To be expected in Sydney. Staff were more than helpful especially Lucy. Nice atmosphere and clever updates to rooms. Comfy bed. Great toiletries. Milk brand. Will buy them in future. Cheers.

• Stayed: September 2013

Hi AlpenAnnie19,

We're really pleased that you enjoyed our central location and you received a warm welcome from our team and Lucy particularly impressed, we will definitely pass on your feedback. I am sorry that you experienced some noise issues and our staff didn't have the opportunity to relocate you to a more appropriate room. Glad you like the new Milk range.

Thanks so much for your feedback AlpenAnnie,

Reviewed September 7, 2013

My family & I stayed at the Hotel Urban in St. Leonards, Sydney in August 2013. This is an easy walk to Royal North Shore Hospital and also close to train station if you need to go into the city. The staff were very helpful and friendly and we enjoyed a "happy hour" wine tasting before a delicious dinner. They also have "late check-out" which is an added bonus. The room was clean and the rates are very competitive. I would recommend this place to anyone,

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Hotel U, General Manager at Hotel Urban St Leonards, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Hi thompres,

Thanks so much for your 5 star review, we're so glad that your stay ticked all the right boxes, it sounds like our friendly staff made you feel right at home and that you really enjoyed dining at Sure Café.

We would love to see you again some time thompres.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed in Urban hotel almost for 2 weeks on February 2013. We came to Sydney for work and have chosen this hotel as it is located close to the office. For those people who visit Sydney as tourists hotel's location is not convenient, as it is comparatively far from city center, 10 minutes walk along busy and dusty highway to train station and 20 minutes walk to crows nest, where all cafes/bars/restaurants are located.
Another disadvantage - is inadequately high price level with very poor value for money. Setting the price about 300AUD per standard room per night without breakfast, it was a normal practice for hotel stuff not to clean our room if we haven't left it by 11 am, not to replace used wet towels or change 4 towels for 2.
Also we faced real difficulties trying to prolong our stay. Reception guy was assuring us that hotel is overbooked and he couldn't do anything for us, though inet booking sites were displaying a number of available rooms. Also it turned out impossible to stay in our room, so we had to pack all stuff and move to different room, than unpack it back and lose half a day for that. One more thing, we offered on the removal to pay for our room, but the receptionist assured us it was not necessary. Accidently in 2 days we have received a bill, claiming that it was hotel's policy to require payment for each 10 days of stay. Thus, the question is - why did the receptionist refuse us and made billing more complicated and inconvenient to us?
And eventually my very last disappointment - it happened so that I have forgotten my cosmetic bag in hotel's bathroom on departure. It was very important for me as I stored my contact lenses and medicines there. I've detected loss the same day and immediately called the reception describing the situation and how important it was to me that time. The receptionist has not been aware of anything about it and promised me to find it out and return my call asap. In an hour and a half, receiving completely no answer - I had to call hotel again. You know what? The receptionist hadn't yet done anything by that time. After one more hour he eventually called me and sad that I may come next day and take it. I got speechless - 4* hotel that claims to be customers service oriented doesn't even offer to deliver your missed belongings, especially when it is not a teethbrush but health supporting medicines, and stuff member definitely knows that customer is not satisfied with his performance.
Thus, the resume is - hotel facilities are quite good, location is not super convenient but ok, and service level and clients support are very poor and really disappointing.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Hotel U, General Manager at Hotel Urban St Leonards, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Hi Anna L,

Thanks for your feedback and for choosing Hotel Urban St Leonards for your extended stay.

I’ve taken a look at your reservations (we don’t have many people stay that long with us so it was easy to pinpoint). You paid on average for your stay $229 per night. It appears that we were incredibly busy when you were trying to extend your reservation thus the higher room rates for your extension and us finding it challenging to squeeze you in. Unfortunately, when it’s busy and you are trying to extend your reservation you may not be able to stay in the same room as someone else has booked it.

I have passed your feedback on to our Housekeeping department in relation to your room servicing. I do hope that you reported this to the Front Desk as I am certain that our Executive Housekeeper would have sorted it out right away (she’s a bit of a stickler for perfection)!

The reason a letter was sent to your room regarding paying off your account was because you’d hit our credit limit, I apologise that you found this an inconvenience. I’m glad that we found your toiletry bag. We are always happy to assist with mailing such items via Express Post, I’m sorry that this wasn’t communicated to you over the phone.

Thanks again for your feedback.

General Manger

Reviewed September 1, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Urban for a Friday and Saturday night (23/24 August 2013) for a school reunion and business meeting on the Saturday morning. I was most impressed with not only the service, room and "vibe" of the hotel, but also the honesty of the night manager on the Friday night. Holding a kebab and trying to pay a taxi driver after a big night out, I managed to drop my wallet on the road outside the hotel. This caused great distress the following day, however I most pleased to have received the wallet back intact including cash and cards. I would have accepted my licence and perhaps some cards back, but to have this result was well beyond my expectations.
The weekend deal was at an unbeatable price, the service in the café on the Saturday was most professional and I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone looking to get a little out of the city whilst being around 800m from St Leonards railway station.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Hotel U, General Manager at Hotel Urban St Leonards, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Thanks so much for such a wonderful review Tlocantro.

It's wonderful to hear that our helpful staff minimised what may have been a stressful situation by ensuring your wallet found its way back to you safely in the morning – we are always on the look out for our guests and ways to keep their stay nice and smooth running.

We hope you had fun at your school reunion too!

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Just had an enjoyable 2 nights at the Urban for work. My meetings were in Richmond and down south in Appin along with a day at a trade show, so I needed a car, but a central location was not critical. In fact, I'd hate to think what I'd racked up in concierge charges if I'd stayed in the CBD. The hotel was easy to find and parking the car (Avis had upgraded me to a boat of a Holden Caprice) was not a problem. The carpark is large enough and there were no issues navigating the twists and turns and the spots were large enough to park a large car.

On the first night I ate in and room service was fine. The menu was a little limited, but the food was good and very fresh. The next day I took advantage of a take away coffee and made my way to the St Leonards train station for a cross town navigation. Given I'm from Melbourne, I've always struggled to find a good coffee in the CBD, but this coffee was fantastic. I took a number of trains to the trade show, but for something different I thought I would try and take a ferry from Circular Quay to Greenwich and then walk to the hotel.

I had a day travel pass and spoke with the Sydney Ferries and they assured me there was no way I could get from Circular Quay to walking distance from St Leonards. I didn't want to pass on the opportunity to take a ferry, so I phoned the team at the hotel and they were great confirming the options. Only a 2.5km walk or around 30mins up hill.

Positives
The friendly team, in particular Victoria and Lucy.
Sure cafe's coffee and food
The location
The parking

Negatives
No free internet

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Hotel U, General Manager at Hotel Urban St Leonards, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Thanks for the fantastic 5 star review HighHorse!

We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were keen to explore the North Shore.

We really do try and make our guests feel welcome and right at home, it sounds like you experienced this. We will be sure to pass on your feedback to Victoria & Lucy – they will be delighted to hear your feedback. Not only do our guests love the delicious coffee and seasonal menu at Sure Café, but many of the locals who pop in to make their regular order too!

Thanks again for your review HighHorse, we hope to welcome you back again next time you are staying in Sydney.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed there for 3 nights in winter. We booked there because everything was full in Central Sydney (near Circular Quay)

Positive:
We got a great deal on internet using a hotel booking platform. Rooms are modern, spacious and clean. We loved the decoration of the hotel: modern style.

Negative:
- Location not so good if you have no car. (not central) It is located in North Sydney in St Leonard. You have to walk to St Leonard train station: 20 min walk. From there you have to take one or two trains to get to Circular Quay.
- Rooms: The room may be subject to traffic noise on Pacific Highway depending on what type of rooms you have booked.
- Prices: the restaurant is expensive for what you get. A bottle of water in your room costs 6 AUD. That's just ridiculous.
- Staff: The receptionist seemed arrogant maybe because we arrived looking as backpackers.
- Atmosphere: Restaurant and cafe downstairs are not comfortable and cosy. In winter it was cold outside. My wife and I hoped to drink our coffee in a warm place. Nonetheless the restaurant has a big window always open. Also there is just a small separation between the main entrance and the restaurant. Results: it is cold and you have no privacy. That's a shame. They could have done a really nice cosy place.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel U, General Manager at Hotel Urban St Leonards, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

Hi snaessens,

We're pleased that you managed to secure a great rate for your stay and enjoyed our modern designer style.

It's really disappointing that you perceived our staff member to be arrogant, as we get loads of comments about how friendly, warm and welcoming our staff are. If you would like to email us at stay@hotelurban.com.au and let us know when you stayed we will certainly look into who was working at reception during your stay. I am sorry that you didn't enjoy the modern bright and airy style of Sure Café which has become a favourite with locals and guests alike.

Transport tip! Try the bus stop straight outside of the Hotel. It only takes 22 mins to get to Wynyard bus terminal and then a short walk down to Circular Quay.
Thanks for your feedback snaessens.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Leonards
#5 of 10 in North Sydney
Comfort Inn North Shore
Comfort Inn North Shore
#1 of 3 in Lane Cove

Been to Hotel Urban St Leonards? Share your experiences!