All reviewspacific highwaytrain stationroad noiselane coveroom servicethe ground floorgreat coffeecomfy bedcrows nestfree wifisecure parkingovernight stayterrace roombusiness tripstandard roomdefinitely stay here againnorth sydney
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I stayed one night for a business trip nearby. The hotel is located very conveniently to the Hospital precinct (Royal North Shore) and is ideal if attending meeting there.

The room was well maintained and the bathroom, whilst a little on the tiny side of things, was quite nicely refurbished.

I was facing the Pacific Highway, but noise was not a problem.

The attached Cafe serves quite satisfactory breakfasts, and dinner was enjoyable also, with enthusiastic and attentive restaurant staff providing good service.

Overall, a functional, safe and clean place to stay for quick trips.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Hotel U, General Manager at Hotel Urban St Leonards, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Hi hcorn,

We're so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay whilst on business – we really do aim to make our hotel feel like a home away from home.

Our fresh and delicious food and coffee at Sure café often receives many compliments, as do our staff – it sounds like it hit the spot with you too.

We hope to see you again on your next business (or pleasure) trip to Sydney.

Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

All OK on my overnight stay. Staff were friendly and helpful and my room was comfortable and had everything I needed. Based on other reviews I was a bit concerned that my room on the Pacific Highway would be noisy but it was on the third floor and I hardly heard the traffic.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Tas_traveller_26

Hi Tas_traveller_26,

Thanks for your review, we're glad to hear that you had a comfortable and peaceful stay.

Our friendly staff hope to see again some time soon.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

Stayed here recently while partner on course at RNSH. We usually stay at a 5star in town and as this is less than half the price I wasn't expecting much but was so pleasantly surprised. We arrived late at night after long flight delays and It was lovely to walk in to a friendly greeting and a quick check in. Our bedroom was clean, quiet although not huge it was all we needed. The air con quickly cooled a hot room, it had great toiletries and the bed was divine. The bus stop is almost outside the hotel for a 10 minute trip to Chatswood for a productive shopping day. Less than 10 minutes walk to the train to go into the city for the nightlife. All the staff we met were very relaxed and helpful. I'm sure I'll be back.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Hotel U, General Manager at Hotel Urban St Leonards, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Hi Liciloo55,

Thanks so much for your kind words, we're so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and made the most of Sydney's great shopping too.

Our super comfy Urban Snorer beds with triple sheeting and micro-fibre underlay are the perfect way to rest after shopping up a storm. We also get loads of great feedback about our delicious smelling Evo haircare products – we really do try and think of the little extras to make your stay more than your usual hotel experience.

Our friendly staff look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Amanda Cottome,

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights, based on TA's reviews. I had a 2 1/2 day course at RNSH starting at 8am, hence the need for a conveniently located hotel.
The good:
friendly staff, excellent breakfast (poached eggs, bircher museli, good coffee), spaciously configured room, comfy beds with wool underlay, duvets, AC in room which is remote controlled.
The bad:
no free wifi, usually a must for me. You can hear every car pass by on Pacific Hwy, I had a room overlooking Bellevue St, but still could hear it. Blind in bathroom does not come to the sill, which would be an issue on a lower floor, in terms of privacy, dodgy tap (hard to close).
I didn't sleep all that well the first few nights, probably not due to the above issues however.
Staff seemed genuinely interested in their guests, saw them greeting repeat customers warmly and the breaky and dinner was tasty, good service.

Room Tip: Rooms at back are larger and probably quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Hotel U, General Manager at Hotel Urban St Leonards, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Hi sewexciting,
Thanks so much for your review – we always love to hear from our guests. We're so glad to hear that our warm and helpful staff contributed to a mostly positive stay and that you enjoyed our uber comfy Urban Snorer bed with triple sheeting and microfibre underlay.

It certainly sounds like you enjoyed a taste of our delicious Sure Café menu too! We're so sorry to hear that you didn't find your room to be super quiet. If you would like to contact us at stay@hotelurban.com.au and let us know what name you booked under, our maintenance team will check the blind and tap are up to our high standards.

Thanks again sewexciting for posting your feedback.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

The Urban is a semi-regular for my infrequent stays in Sydney, and it's picked for convenience to where I need to be rather than for the hotel itself.

Not that it's a bad hotel - it's clean and up to date and the staff are great - but it seems that everything in Australia is more expensive than you'd expect and being $200+ per night without breakfast or parking, a room at the Urban is no exception.

I've had bigger rooms previously, but this one was fine for a single occupant with a king sized bed, arm chair, flat panel TV and long run of desk space. But, strangely, no power points above the desk - they were all underneath which is annoying given that the Urban is not a carry over hotel from some forgotten age when the only electricity you could generate was of the static kind! I resorted to unplugging a light next to the bed to charge my iPad because the cord is too short to reach up to the desk top.

The bed was comfortable but the rooms are not whisper quiet. Someone in another room had a shower at 6am and the high pitched whoosh of the water was sufficient to wrench me from sleep, and chattering in the corridor carries into the room with ease. Fortunately, the lifts don't "ding" when they arrive so at least you are spared that little torture if your room is near them.

My curtains did not overlap where they meet to close, so I had to jiggle them around and even then there was a gap toward the top. And the aircon/heating unit took me right back to my many visits to the SpringHill Suites in Eden Prairie, being one of those in-room boxes on the floor that you control with a remote. Great for short term use to quickly cool/heat the room (and presumably better on the planet), but they don't hum quietly in the background. When they kick in you know your air-con is working from the thrum.

My bathroom was small, packing toilet, shower and basin into pretty much the minimum space possible. That's OK. The damp smell when I opened the shower door was less so. I've stayed in rooms with far larger bathrooms - and even baths - before, so if you need such facilities they can be had.

The Urban has a little restaurant in the lobby and breakfast at least is good but it's à la carte, not a buffet. The menu tends to the gourmet style of cooking; I've had their muesli before but this time I tried eggs and it was fine.

Now the staff at any hotel can make or break your trip, and the Urban has great staff. I've not encountered anyone surly, haughty or generally ill-suited to the hospitality game during any stay. They are friendly, pleasant and efficient, which is all I ask for in my hotels.

So, the Urban is a nice place to stay, but it's not close to any of those landmarks you visualise when you think about Sydney so pretty much it's a hotel to choose when you need to be in the immediate area.

Room Tip: The rooms on the highway side a noisy.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Hotel U, General Manager at Hotel Urban St Leonards, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Hi Tghu V,

Thanks so much for your comprehensive feedback all the way from Hong Kong and for choosing us as your regular place to stay when in Sydney. So glad to hear that our super friendly and helpful staff make your stay a pleasant experience, guests often comment that our service is of an exceptionally high standard.

Sorry to hear that the curtains in the room didn't meet your expectations. If you would like to email us at stay@hotelurban.com.au and let us know what name you booked under we can check the specific room that you stayed in. We will also consider your feedback about the positioning of our powerpoints. Our guests love their mod cons (as do we) so it's important to us to accommodate this.

Thanks again, and we hope to see you on your next trip.

Kind Regards,