All reviewspacific highwaytrain stationroad noiselane coveroom servicethe ground floorgreat coffeecomfy bedcrows nestfree wifisecure parkingovernight stayterrace roombusiness tripstandard roomdefinitely stay here againnorth sydney
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Finding this little gem in such a great location for patients at the royal north shore hospital i was so excited! having stayed twice and having had such great service from the staff in the cafe and the coffee was fantastic however there was a downfall. I was not informed that the cost of the room $211 would be frozen on my card as well as the hotel taking the same amount for the cost of the room on check out. if i had not noticed this i would have lost my money. I rang the hotel on the saturday and was told the money would be in my account monday morning. monday morning came and no money. I rang the hotel again to be informed that as i paid with a different method on the same card a letter had to be faxed to the bank for the money to be released back into my account. If the staff had of communicated the policies more clearly this would not have occoured. so sadly my husband and i now need to find another little gem for our trips to sydney for his check ups at the hospital.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
sasrowlands, Marketing at Hotel Urban St Leonards, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2012

Hi mels_84,

We're so sorry to hear that you weren't told about the pre-authorisation process when you arrived at the hotel, it’s disappointing to hear that this issue caused you so much difficulty. We have only this year overhauled our policy in relation to pre-authorisations due to guest feedback via Trip Advisor. We have stated what our policy is on our confirmation letters and have also implemented that every guest is told this policy on their first stay with us. After reading your concerns we are now investigating having this policy written on our registration cards.

As discussed over the phone, I strongly suggest that you do not utilise debit cards for pre authorisations as they do physically hold money that is yours on your account and this can be problematic if you are relying on access to these funds.

I apologise for any inconvenience caused to you and am sorry that this incident tarnished your otherwise enjoyable stay with us.

Kind regards,

Amanda Cottome

Reviewed April 27, 2012

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this hotel. I was in Sydney for 4 days as my first stop on a 2.5 week trip Down Under and wanted to find an affordable, comfortable and safe hotel without breaking the bank while simultaneously being convenient to Sydney's most famous attractions. This property hit the mark!
Location: I arrived very early from the U.S. and a room was not quite ready; however, I was able to store my luggage with the front desk staff, freshen up in the 1st floor ladies' room, and head out to the train to explore Sydney. An easy 10 minute walk to the train and you are only a couple stops from Circular Quay. The hotel is adjacent to a hospital and is not in a particularly noisy area. In addition to the coffee/tea/munchies available in the hotel lobby (at the usual elevated hotel price) here are a few places (sandwich shops and such) to grab a bite on the short walk to the train.
Room: Super-comfy bed, lovely tea kettle and teas, and a modern, clean bathroom made this stay more than satisfactory. Sydney can be an expensive city to visit- I highly recommend this hotel for those who would like to visit this amazing city at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
sasrowlands, Marketing at Hotel Urban St Leonards, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2012

Hi girlsonaglobe,

It’s great to hear we could hit the mark and meet all of your needs during your stay in Sydney. Our comfy Urban Snorer beds are a big hit! We hope you enjoyed the remainder of your time in Australia, although not as much as in Sydney ;-)

Thanks for your review.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

This is the second time we have stayed at this hotel due to its excellent location within walking distance to st leonards train station. This time around we discovered the hotel gym on level one.
The rooms are normal style hotel rooms, however the bathrooms are lovely and modern. Parking was included. The only downsides are lack of eateries close by, due to it being a more business district, however the cafe doenstairs does stay open for dinner. Also we could hear a lot of noise from the room next door, but I don't recall this problem last time.

• Stayed: April 2012
sasrowlands, Marketing at Hotel Urban St Leonards, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2012

Hi Kathiiy,

It’s great to see that you have come back to stay with us, we do love familiar faces! Next time you stay if you experience a noisy neighbour or two please let our friendly front desk team know and they will take action right away!

Thanks for your review. We look forward to seeing you next time :-)

David Social Media Coordinator

Reviewed April 21, 2012

Arrived after a LONG flight from Canada on vacation and found the staff very welcoming with everything in order for a requested early check-in. The rooms are clean and well-appointed, and indeed the beds ARE very comfortable! The wireless internet, though a low-cost option, was reliable and very fast. I really don't have anything but good things to say about my stay there, it was a very pleasant and hassle-free experience - plus a great value, especially for the Sydney area.

Well done, Hotel Urban, St. Leonards!

Room Tip: I had a room on the street side of the hotel, which I've noted some have said are noisy. I noticed no significant noise, at least that would have any impact on the comfort of my stay.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo

Hi Gary_Hyslop

We love that you only have good things to say about your stay, it makes us feel all warm and fuzzy :-) We're glad you loved your bed - our Urban Snorers are very popular. The only problem with them is that it can be tough getting out of such a comfy bed the next morning!

Thanks for your review.

Reviewed April 16, 2012

I was in the city for a regional law conference and I chose Hotel Urban based on a recommendation from a friend.

I stayed in the urban king room which was more than ideal for my needs, just a short say but if I was staying on leisure or for a longer period of time I would probably upgrade myself to one of their larger rooms.

Bed was really comfy and so couldn't fault the stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
sasrowlands, Marketing at Hotel Urban St Leonards, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2012

Hi LondonClaireH,

Thanks for taking the time to leave your positive review. It’s great to hear that you listened to your friend’s recommendation, they must have fantastic taste!

We look forward to seeing you again.