All reviewspacific highwaytrain stationroad noiselane coveroom servicethe ground floorgreat coffeecomfy bedcrows nestfree wifisecure parkingovernight stayterrace roombusiness tripstandard roomdefinitely stay here againnorth sydney
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Great accessible rooms, lift, parking. Warm and friendly service. Not near shops but has great cafe for all meals and coffee anytime. For north side stay hard to beat. Great value.

Stayed: April 2012
sasrowlands, Marketing at Hotel Urban St Leonards, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2012

Hi G C,

Thanks for your great review. We love being able to make your stay as carefree and enjoyable as possible.

We can’t wait to see you again.

David Social Media Coordinator

Reviewed April 3, 2012

A business trip to Sydney and a stay at the Urban Hotel in St Leonard’s awaited.

The first thing that impressed me occurred before I even arrived at the hotel and that was that the taxi driver not only knew where the hotel was without referring to his GPS but that he could also hold up his end of an interesting conversation without having to refer to those taxi cab staples of AFL (or in the case of Sydney; rugby), the weather or how my trip was.

Once safely deposited outside I was greeted by a young and delightfully friendly receptionist. Now I know that it is hard to maintain your enthusiasm when you spend your entire day saying “Welcome to Hotel Urban, how may I help you today?” but not once did she give the impression that she just wanted me to go away so she could go home. I could not help the smile on my face as I took my key and meandered over to the dining area for some dinner.

It was here that things briefly slipped off the rails. After being shown to an empty table I was promptly forgotten about and it was only half way through the complimentary Financial Review that the waitress realised that, that poor chap sitting on his lonesome reading a paper might actually want something to eat.

Her apologies were plentiful and she seemed genuinely mortified at this little faux pas. Having previously worked in the restaurant industry I know how sometimes things can get a little hectic during service time so apologies were given and accepted and my order handed over to the kitchen.

Food wise, everything was in order. Steak was ordered and arrived medium rare along with a nice Shiraz. So replete and with the restaurant closing I went off to bed resigned to staring at the ceiling for a while cursing that thing called jet lag.

The room itself was delightful. It wasn’t the largest I’ve been in but it was certainly the most well thought out. Often you play dodge the inappropriately placed chair or lets thread our way between the 20cm gap between bed and sideboard but not once did this happen to me here. You had the feeling that whomever came up with the layout of the room made sure that everything had its place and there was a place for everything, including, joy of joys, plenty of space to put your luggage.

The bathroom was also a clever example in packaging and the humour on the complimentary toiletries was appreciated.

The bed itself was also right up there. Firm but not back breaking and the pillows were the best I’ve ever experienced. Sadly however no blankets, just 19 or so sheets of which half ended up on the floor and the other half promptly tried to strangle me once I feel asleep. I can appreciate laundry expenses etc but I’ve stayed at hotels that provide proper blankets. Is it really that hard?

I awoke refreshed the next morning, thanks to what I assume is double glazing on the windows which blocked out most of the noise from the Pacific Highway. The only thing that troubled me was that it must have been a cold and humid night as the bathroom smelled decidedly musty/mouldy. From what I can tell the Hotel Urban, despite regular renovations, is reasonably old and at its core I think the plumbing must be showing its age. Not a show stopper by any means, more surprising if anything else.

So, before I waffle on too much more I will say that in balance my stay at the Hotel Urban was a positive one. Despite a few little hic ups the staff were friendly, attentive and polite. The food at the restaurant was good and the facilities nice. Would I come back? Yes I would. Would I recommend it to others needing to stay in the area? I think so. You could do a lot, lot worse.

Room Tip: Don't panic if they give you a room facing the Pacific Highway. The rooms seem to have good sound insulation as traffic noise was hardly audible.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Hi Sven W,

It’s great to hear that you had such a positive first impression of our hotel, our staff members love making guests happy and feel like they are right at home. We're sorry to see that your initial experience in the restaurant wasn't fantastic but we're glad we could turn it around into an enjoyable dinner.

The evo products in the bathrooms are a big hit, as are our comfy Urban Snorer beds. We just keep getting great reviews on both :-)

Thank you so much for your review and we look forward to seeing you again at Hotel Urban St Leonards.

Reviewed March 16, 2012

We regularly travel to Sydney with our child to visit family, and prefer to use public transport to get around. So finding a reasonably priced hotel, near transport and close enough to the CBD is a challenge. Hotel Urban is one of the best we've tried at a reasonable price.
The bed was the best we've ever had. We stayed in a balcony room at the back of the hotel and it was very quiet. The staff and service was terrific. The cafe is in a very pleasant location and tasty food at a reasonable price. My son loved the fact that he could use the iPad in the cafe for free. Our only issue was the lack of fresh air in the room. It was a sultry Sydney weekend and too hot in the room. We did not want to leave the balcony door open to mosquitos and using the enormous airconditioner in the room was like having a car idling next to our bed. However, we would still use the hotel again, especially in the cooler months. Sunny

Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
sasrowlands, Marketing at Hotel Urban St Leonards, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2012

Hi there,

Thank you for such a glowing review - we are so glad to hear that you had such a nice stay with us. We take pride in every aspect of our hotel, from the tasty and fresh food in Sure Cafe, to our super comfy Urban Snorer beds, to our friendly and smiling staff members.

It's also great to hear your son was easily able to whip out his iPad and connect in Sure Café, and isn't it nice when things are free!

We love to think of our hotel as a home away from home, so we look forward to welcoming you and your family back with open arms.

Reviewed March 2, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel for the first time as it was nearby for an early meeting the next day. When I entered my room I was worried about the highway being so close and the potential noise. However, the windows are double glazed which keeps the traffic noise to a minimum andthe bed was one of the best I've slept in for a long time.
I ordered room service which was very quick and the meal of a high standard at a reasonable price. Be aware that the closest (that I'm aware of) shops, ATM's, etc are about an 800m walk to the train station area. For most of my trips to Sydney the location isn't ideal but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to stay in the area.

Room Tip: There are two rows of rooms that run parallel with the highway, so presumably the ones at the back would be even quieter and should have a better view.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business

Hi Mark W,

We're glad that you had such a comfy and quiet nights sleep, how great are our Urban Snorer beds?!

The food from our room service menu sure is tasty and fresh, our chefs are very speedy at whipping up a delicious bite to eat.

Thanks for such a lovely review and we look forward to welcoming you back when you're in the area again.

Reviewed February 28, 2012

This is a nice boutique hotel within 10 minute stroll of St.Leonards railway station - from where there are frequent trains taking you to central Melbourne in about 15 minutes. Cost of the train is AS$4.50 (return).
The hotel has parking at around AS$25 per day which makes it cheaper than CBD hotel parking.
There's a small restaurant and an adequate gym.
Rooms are a reasonable size and modern.
Internet access is costly and priced per MB rather than time required.
Overall. A good place to stop if on a business trip or a short break to Sydney

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms have a terrace. Some of the rooms higher up had balconies.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
sasrowlands, Marketing at Hotel Urban St Leonards, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2012

Hi Ameglio,

Thanks for your review! We look forward to you stopping by again during your next business trip or visit to Sydney.

Kind Regards,