“This is the most disappointing stay of my life”

Red Star Hotel West Ryde
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Ryde
Reviewed September 27, 2010

What a place, this motel is about 30 years out of date, but it is promoted as a best stay 3 star accomodation. The resturant is not open on a Saturday night, they don't provide shampoo or a toaster. The rooms are old and tired and linen is of questionable cleanliness.
We booked a family room for four, the room had a double, a single and a sofa bed. The sofa was made up but nor folded out and the sheets looked like they had been used. The pillows were in the cupboard and again looked dirty. For $160.00 we could have gotten better quality nearby ata four star motel. Never again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank bunyapine

Reviewed August 23, 2010

Stayed for 3 nights - absolutely no sleep - terrible road noise - window in bathroom is open - cant be closed - makes the traffic noise even louder - road close to room - NOT RECOMMENDED! The management dont care - they know it is noisy - even acknowledge other complaints - but dont do anything about it! Will NOT stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lmt2010
Reviewed March 20, 2010

I should have realised that this motel would not be suitable to my needs at the time of booking but I needed to stay close to West Ryde. Normally I stay in larger hotels closer to Parramatta but I took a risk this time.

The motel is a motel and cost about $110 per night. I stayed there for 5 nights however when I tried to check out I was informed that the last night was an extra $20.00 becuse of an ACDC concert nearby. I said "What ?" and showed them my confirmed booking "an email printout (made 5 weeks ago) They told me that was a mistake and I had to pay the extra $20.00. Crazy.

The room was basic but the AC was very noisy. I had no coat hangers, iron or ironing board. I was told I need to go upstairs to a communal wash room if I wanted to use an iron.

I asked for wine glasses and two bowls so I could prepare some food in my room (7.30pm) I was told the dining room was closed and I could have them tomorrow.

I have learnt the old lesson "you get what you pay for"

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank KennyLarkin
Reviewed September 22, 2009

Stay here two nights during Sep09. Our room was tired and worned out. The ensuite restroom was cleanish but had traces of mold.

The room itself is spacious enough. Parking is just right at front door of our room. If you arrive late don't bother with the night bell no one answers that.

On our trip through Australia this was the worst place we stayed. The big downside is the noise as the place is located right next to Victoria road which is a 3 lane main road, so the traffic noise is constant rthrough out your stay. Since it is single glazed and doesn't fit air tight and the road soooo close, the tarmac noise is loud. Didn't really sleep during our stay! So quote "Quiet room" is meant for the deaf only.
Also stated that their room has a hair-dryer, but we couldn't find it. By which time we gave up as it didn't want to bee seen as trouble makers. The front desk closes at 9pm.
The staff were friendly but didn't credit my Choices card (and didn't tell me of any problems with the card!) and knowledge of getting round the area. I wouldn't stay here again. There seems a quite a few hotel/motel's around the area down the Victoria Road that offer ~AUD100 and have a quiet location and have much newer facilities.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 18, 2009

Dropped in off Highway. Plenty of rooms available. But got shoved upstairs anyway. Great for the Bad Back.

Looks old and tired.

Clean to a point a bit grimy with age

Very Noisy. Heaps of Traffic. So were the workmen on the roof at 7am the next morning.

Tea and Coffee terrible. Tasted off.

Staff Member friendly, no deals for off the street check in.

Have friends in the area so stayed near them to go into the city next day. Will look for something beforehand off the highway.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed December 4, 2007

Stay here one night during Nov, 07. Our room so much looked tired and worned out. The ensuite restroom was not that much clean and have trace of mold here and there.

The room itself however, is spacious enough for us travel in couple from abroad and having 4 big baggages. Free parking is just right at front door of our room.

The big downside parts of our stay is the hotel is LOCATED JUST A FEW FOOTSTEP TO VICTORIA RD. and it's the main 3 lanes road. As a consequent, the TRAFFICNOISE IS VERY LOUD EVEN AT 2AM! We can't sleep at all during our stay! So their quote of "Quiet room" for room description in their website is only a joke.

Also as state in their room description the room would come with a hair-dryer, there's no such one we've found. Walk to the frontdesk at 10PM to request the hair-dryer, and only found out the FRONTDESK ONLY OPEN FROM 7AM-9.30PM...

Althought the staff was friendly and knowing what's going on around the area much, I would never stay here again! There's a quite a number of hotel/motel around the area down the Victoria Rd.that offer ~AUD100 and has a lot more quiet location and has much newer facilities.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank techtwo
Reviewed October 2, 2006

Sydney hotels are expensive, and sometimes you can pay quite a bit and be very underwhelmed with what you get. The Comfort Inn in West Ryde was not bad at all, it was around $90 for a Friday night. It is very handily located on the main road through West Ryde, walking distance to many eating options and the train station, and very handy to Homebush.
Heaps of parking, and although it was packed full the night I was there, the walls seemed to keep the noise out quite well. It was clean, and the fittings were not worn and horrible, they seemed to be in quite good condition.
The reception staff were very easygoing, friendly and helpful. One had a Maltese puppy helping out!
Biggest surprise though, is how the hotel faces onto a very busy suburban road, but the view out the back from the room window (huge) is over a golf course! Very pretty and tranquil.
I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ant100
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ryde
Ibis Budget Sydney Olympic Park Hotel
Ibis Budget Sydney Olympic Park ...
#4 of 4 in Sydney Olympic Park
Ibis Budget Enfield
Ibis Budget Enfield
#1 of 2 in Strathfield South
Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde

Been to Red Star Hotel West Ryde? Share your experiences!