“Inspect room before acceptance”
Review of Metro Inn Ryde

Metro Inn Ryde
Ranked #1 of 4 Ryde B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 14, 2012

This hotel is old and in need a of makeover (or demolition) - inside the hotel looks and feels much older than the google view from Victoria Road. This is one hotel I would not return for another stay. As you walk down the hallway towards your room you get this feeling - what am I doing here. The carpet is very old and repairs are needed to various holes / fittings as you walk past. Once inside your room you feel a little bit better, it appears a bit cleaner and generally ok (but it was dark and the lights were dim). The staff were friendly and efficient on checkout in the morning. (I arrived late and the reception was closed). Parking is in a non secure open area of the property. Do your research first if this is the hotel you want to book and perhaps inspect the room prior to accepting / paying. As a child I lived nearby, and now when visiting friends I stay around the North Ryde / Macquarie University area. If you need to save money stay at one of the local pubs. The more I think about it, this is the worst hotel I have stayed in - its comparison would be some as the old dingey hotels / drug rooms from Kings Cross in the 80's.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere, or inspect room before confirming payment.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank touring1111
There are newer reviews for Metro Inn Ryde

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Bed bugs infection the following day, bed was damp feeling and smelt musty. Room smelt of urine, window broken so wouldn't stay open. Hair all over the shower wall and floor. Everything dated and very obvious not a dollar spent on maintenance since it was first built. Hallways (and rooms also) were dimly lit.

Travel alot for work and this is honestly the worst place I have stayed in six years. Its an overwhelmingly depressing hotel. Feels like a creepy hostel from a horror movie.

Reception staff member lacked any interest or personality. Should have slept in the hire car.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank kittyboo3
Reviewed June 7, 2012

good average stay- nothing out of ordinary- friendly staff made up for paucity of amenities

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank c d
Reviewed May 29, 2012 via mobile

I'll make this short
- bug bomb stink in downstairs hallway
- blood stains on carpet
- skin itching just being in the room
- filthy, filthy, disgusting horrid little hole

This place needs to be demolished

• Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank Followthework
Reviewed May 9, 2012

I wrote a review about a visit that I had to this hotel in January 2012. I recently received notification of a 'thankyou helpful' note from another TA member. On reviewing I note that Stephen Nemetz has responded to my, and many others, reviews on behalf of the hotel. He did this on 29 March 2012, with his previous responses being done on 1 September, 2011. He apparently must not check what is being said about his premises very frequently. Stephen, your reponse that I had been given an extensive list of local restaurants by a male staff member and came back with recommendations for a local Thai is incorrect. I spoke with a female staff member, new to your staff who did not know the area and could not recommend anything. After venturing forth we did go to a Thai restaurant, which was below average and certainly not recommended. I note that you attempt to blame the smell in the rooms, complained of by a number of reviewers, on the rain that fell in January. Trying to use this as an excuse, late in March, is very poor, in my opinion. Lets face it, the hotel is old, in poor condition, overpriced for what you get and in desperate need of improvement.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere
Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank sgtgwh
Reviewed January 28, 2012

We spent one night here recently whilst attending Sydney for a funeral - on enquiring on line found what appeared to be their best price $113, for cash - extra if you use a card. I made a phone call to determine their distance from where we had to go, phone was pleasantly answered by a new employee who did not know the area.
When we arrived the first room allocated smelt of urine, the bed was very well used and furniture very dated as was the whole motel. We were moved to another room without any fuss, the bed here was better, bugs in the room with no insect screens. Bathroom was tiny and very dated. Evening meal recommendation was asked for - "I don't know the area, I only eat here", was the reply. Restaurant menu appeared quite extensive, but expensive for the situation. We ate elsewhere, no breakfast included in price but available at $15 per head.

Room Tip: Don't expect tooo much and you wont be disappointed.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank sgtgwh
MIR_00, Manager at Metro Inn Ryde, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2012

Thank you for reviewing our property. I would also like to thank you for mentioning that the staff that you dealt with was pleasant, I do take appreciate it when the staff at the property are given the recognition of their efforts.
I do apologize for the smell as you entered the room, I can assure you that it was not urine. Our place is extensively cleaned daily and linen is changed very regularly. The smell that you may of smelt was from the extensive rain that Sydney has experienced in the past 2 months. I am working with the owners to resolve this moisture issue.
I have spoken to the staff member that you have spoke with regards to the restaurant he informed me that you where given a extensive listing of restaurants in the area and come back with recommendations of a thai restaurant. Thank you for also mentioning the $15 Full Hot buffet breakfast available every day of the year.

I would like to thank you again for the time you have taken in reviewing our property and do hope that next time you stay with us that your stay is of a pleasant one.

Reviewed January 5, 2012

Dont ever stay here. The Motel was really Dirty,the two rooms we stayed in smelled catpee and got a stinky smell from the aircondition.Lots of cockroaches in the bathroom,specially at night(keep the lights on if you somehow HAVE to stay here) We made a last minute deal before we vent to Sydney because of dobbelbooking at another Hotel.We arrived an early morning and the first thing we noticed was of course the nasty smell besides the poor poor cleaning of our room, almost throwup after the crappy breakfast which we also had to ask for more bacon and eggs and they came back with bacon that was not fried and warm juice and milk aswell.Absolutely awfull for 15Dollars a head,when i came back in to the room i noticed the bin in the bathroom were full of tamponges and other sanitary itmes from the last guest:( and if possible it got even more smelly:( :( :( we unfortunally had to stay there for 10 days and the poor cleaning countinued through out our stay.No vacuum cleaning or change of bed during these ten days:( even when we took the sheets of the bed and put the please make up my room sign on the door. We also got Milk which had past the expire date with over a week. The unpolite Manager said that it was fine to drink???????? And speaking of unpolite some of the staff made comments of what my girlfriend was wearing.Exept from one guy in the reseption who where nice and service minded this was the absolutely the worst service I have ever got in hospitality business.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Patrick M

I would normally appreciate and thank you for your review, as a Manager I find that this is a good way to gain feedback from our guests.
There are several issues I have with your review being incorrect.
1/. The room does not smell of cat pee, as only registed assistance animals are allowed on the property. The smell you may of smelt was from the extensive rain that we have had in Sydney in the last two months and I am working with the owners to resolve this issue.
2/. There are not lots of cockroaches in the motel. The motel is serviced professionally normally on a quartly basis, though due to the extensive weather we have had we have been servicing the property on a monthly basis.
3/. The rooms are not poorly cleaned, the housekeeping staff work very hard to clean these rooms on a daily basis and change the linen on long staying guests every three days. Except when guests have a Do Not Disturb sign on there room where fresh towels and rubbish bag are left at your door.
4/. I did not say to you that it was fine to drink expired UHT milk, I did appolige to you and informed you that it the milk was a “Best Before” not a “Used By” as it is Ultra High Temperature milk, and that this was 2 days from “best Before” not over a week as mentioned, This was a error from our supplier and I have new procedures in place that this will never happen again. I also thank you for bringing this to our attention and I reversed off all the breakfast that you had when you where staying with us, and you said that you where impressed with this generous offer.
5/. I don’t understand your comments of the breakfast is crappy and you almost throw up, The Full Hot Buffet Breakfast is cooked fresh daily and you had the breakfast on several occasions during your stay and nothing was ever mentioned.
6/. I do really take offense to your comments about my staff making comment with regards to your girlfriend. All of my staff have been working here for many years and we are very friendly to ALL our guests, and we treat everyone with open arms, this is a very friendly family run motel.
The only issue that I find correct with you review was that my housekeepers accidently left a rubbish bin in the room from the previous guest. Normally this would have been checked prior to you arriving but we wanted to allow you in the room early as you where waiting. I am truly sorry for this. I do hope that your next stay at our friendly motel is of a more pleasant one

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ryde
Comfort Inn West Ryde
Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde
Novotel Sydney Olympic Park
Novotel Sydney Olympic Park
#2 of 4 in Sydney Olympic Park

Been to Metro Inn Ryde? Share your experiences!