“Service was a let down”
Review of Rydges Parramatta

Rydges Parramatta
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Rosehill
Reviewed March 6, 2011

When we arrived there was a senior staff member speaking to the (only) counter staff. they did not look up to acknowledge us til the manager had stopped talking.
the counter member asked if i was checking in without greeting us or smiling. i gave my name and she basically recites to me what I had booked as well as the room service I had ordered. she gave me a slip of paper with my details on it to sign and confirm my address. while I was reading it she begins to ask me various questions. How was I meant to write and read and listen at the same time?

I try to concentrate on both and mumble my yeses. then she asks me for my credit card and shoves me another bit of paper 'for credit card confirmation' - i notice she had charged $1 on to my card. At this point I was already upset and bewildered. Then she asks us about the shuttle service, 'the shuttle service goes at 6.40 or 7.05 which one do you want?' she stands there waiting for me to reply and goes 'you have to be on time or else it will leave without you' I say 'the seven one' and she shoves us 2 keys and passes and says 'you HAVE to tell the bus driver you've paid, or else he will charge you again' 'When do you want your room service that you ordered?'
I go 'umm now?'
then we get a blank stare and 'elevators are to the left'

after signing in. we head up to our room. it was dark and stuffy. I notice the various spots in the door frame that are missing spots of paint.
the bathroom seems clean enough. one tile was a very different colour to the rest of the room (but only I would notice that). there was no clear button for the air con and I eventually find it next to my bed after 10 minutes. I open up the folder on the tray on the bed that says 'entertainment schedual' and in it to my dismay I find a copy of the sunday herald's tv guide.. folded in half.

after 20 minutes the room service was still not there.
After about 30 minutes i hear a tap at the door, I ask my partner to check on it. and sure enough it was there. I thought we were going to get a nice box, what it was was 9 pieces of lindt balls on a plate.... so that was a let down plus she ruined the surprise for my partner by asking me about them when we signed in.

after the concert we order room service and we specifically asked on the phone whether there was an additonal charge and were told that there will be no tray charge incurred (tub of ice cream = $12 and tray charge = $4).

In the morning after breakfast we get a knock at the door, the housekeeper asks if she can check our minibar, she lets herself in and goes 'ok so thats one white wine?'
I say 'errr no we didn't have anything'
she points to a space in the fridge and says 'well thats where the wine goes'
and I repeat myself and go 'we didn't have anything from the minibar'
'ok i won't charge you anything' then she leaves

when we check out the next morning I get asked again 'did you have anything from the minibar?'
why do you get someone to check our fridge only to have to ask us again???
I got told by the same senior staff member, that my total comes to '$13.50'
I ask her why this is and she says to me that we had ordered room service for food for $9.50 and there was a tray charge for $4... I couldn't be bothered arguing with her so simply paid and left.

I know it's no 5 star hotel but we paid over $300 and the service was the main factor to my dissatisfaction. staff members do not know how to talk to customers appropriately and I felt like I was being greeted by junior staff at a fast food joint. clearly they do not care about their jobs or their customers. I won't be going back there again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Linksta
ParramattaManager, Front Office Manager at Rydges Parramatta, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments regarding your stay with us, your feedback was very much appreciated. Please accept our apologies for the concerns you have expressed in regards to your stay at the hotel and the level of customer service. We would like to apologise for the response you received when you checked in at reception, your comments have been addressed with the Front Desk Team, we are very disappointed that you did not receive the warm welcome that we pride ourselves on. Thank you for all your feedback, it is vital to the continuous improvement of our service levels and to enhance the product Rydges Parramatta has to offer our guests. Kind regards, Rydges Parramatta Management

There are newer reviews for Rydges Parramatta

Reviewed February 16, 2011

We stayed in a panorama suite and were very disappointed with the room - well overdue for refurbishment and the air conditioning was noisy and very temperamental (on a very hot day it struggles and needs to be replaced).
On the positive side - racecourse is a short walk across the road, police and security presence after the race is extremely impressive (so you had better behave!) and the staff were very courteous and attentive. We complained about our air conditioning after the first sleepless night and they did their best to adjust the system - which thankfully worked overnight - but returned to tantrum mode in the morning!
Both restaurants were quite good - Steeds provides the extra quality and service you would expect for the price.
Overall ok - but will be better value if the air conditioning is replaced and the rooms are refurbished.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
ParramattaManager, Front Office Manager at Rydges Parramatta, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2011

Thank you for your valuable comments from your stay at the Rydges Parramatta. It is through feedback that we can constantly improve our service and product. We apologise for the issues you have expressed in regards to the air conditioning unit in your room, and are endeavouring to have these noise issues resolved. Thank you again for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Reviewed January 24, 2011

I would agree with one of the reviewers in that this hotel is a little old, as in from the 80s, but it was simple, clean, and an OK value for your money. It is about a 2 minute walk to the Rosehill station if you're a fit Australian or a 5 minute walk if you're a somewhat out-of-shape American. Boo to the fact that the train only comes one per hour on the weekends and holidays. I don't recommend this hotel if you're going to make daily trips to Sydney, but I would recommend this hotel if you're at least going to the Featherdale Wildlife Park or the Blue Mountains.

The front desk staff were helpful when I asked questions regarding what was around the neighborhood regarding services like the post office.

The breakfast buffet at the restaurant was pretty decent. Beware of that contraption that spits out pancakes. It's actually pretty tasty for something that comes out of a bag.

My number one issue was the expensive internet. I mean, c'mon Australia, internet is cheap! If third-world mountain cities with no multinational corporations in the neighborhood like Ayacucho, Peru can afford to charge internet to teenagers playing WoW at one Sol per hour how can a first world country like Australia not throw in free internet for people staying in hotels? Heck, $38/night Motel 6s here in the US throw in free internet sometimes! Jesus H. Christ on a pogo stick!

Otherwise, Rydges Parramatta is not a bad place to stay. Next time I'm in Sydney and I want a value hotel for the price, I'd stay here again and allow plenty of time to go to Sydney proper.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
ParramattaManager, Front Office Manager at Rydges Parramatta, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback regarding stay at Rydges Parramatta. We feel it is very important for us to hear your comments and have the opportunity to rectify any deficiencies, and work towards providing improved service standards and product.

Reviewed January 8, 2011

stay once a year at Rydges Rosehill with my friends when we visit Sydney and we will always do....despite the hotel is getting old and tired but the STAFF are the highlight of my stay.
Reception staff are very friendly and welcoming especially the handsome man with the olive skin...he has a very cute smile this was the first time I see him so he must be new. I did ask for his number but he said no :( felt little bit rejected but I assume he was acting professional. The restaurant staff are very friendly as well especially the pregnant lady and Amy the waitress; although she talks a lot but she is funny and amusing.
One negative point: PLEASE change the air-conditioning system in the rooms it sounds like plane taking off when you first turn it on and absolutely noisy during the night.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
RPAFOM, Front Office Manager at Rydges Parramatta, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback regarding stay at Rydges Parramatta. Please accept our apologies for the concerns you have expressed in regards to the bed in your room, and the issues you had with your room key. Your feedback regarding staff attitude has been addressed with our Front Desk team. It is very important for us to hear your comments and have the opportunity to rectify any deficiencies, and work towards providing improved service standards and product.
Rydges Management

Reviewed January 4, 2011

This hotel isn't going to set the world alight. It's not great, but it's not awful. It's just mediocre.

Their official website states that "we have recently changed our beds to the luxurious and exclusive Rydges Dream Bed". These beds are probably really comfortable for one person, but if there are two of you it transforms into a bouncy castle. The slightest movement from your partner could have you bouncing out of the bed!

Don't forget to use the Do Not Disturb sign. We found that the cleaning staff can be a little over-zealous. We were woken one day at 07:30 and another day at 08:00.

Our room was a reasonable size, with a nice view over the racecourse toward Sydney. The location would be great if you wanted to go to the races. It's about 25 minutes walk to Parramatta CBD and the ferry wharf. Rosehill train staion is 2 minutes away, but the trains only go once an hour during the holidays and weekends. There's a small retail area with a Woolworths, McDonalds, KFC and pizza place about 5 minutes walk away which is handy.

The staff attitude came over a bit "meh" too. On New Years Day, both of our room keys stopped working, so we had to go all the way downstairs to get them reactivated. No apology from the reception staff - it seemed to be a matter of routine for her. On the day we left (January 4th), there was still a giant sign facing the road advertising their Christmas Day lunch special.

All in all, it;s not a great hotel. It would probably be good for racegoers, but we'll try somewhere different next time.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
RPAFOM, Front Office Manager at Rydges Parramatta, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2011

Reviewed November 16, 2010

- furniture needs to be updated
- overpriced
- no free Internet
- I was so tired when arrived that I asked for someone to take my bags to my room and was told that I had to take them to my room myself.
- nothing suggests that that this hotel is a 4 star hotel really
- staff were rude when I checked in but dealt with the nicest when checked out.
- all in all not going back to any Redges branch no matter what

• Stayed: July 2010
RPAFOM, Front Office Manager at Rydges Parramatta, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2010

Please accept our apologies for the concerns you have expressed in regards to your stay at the hotel. We would like to apologise for the response you received when you checked in at reception, your comments have been addressed with the Front Desk Team, we are very sorry that you did not receive more understanding customer service, as this is something we pride ourselves on. Thank you for your feedback, it is vital to the continuous improvement of our service levels and to enhance the product Rydges Parramatta has to offer our guests. Kind regards, Rydges Parramatta Management

Reviewed October 16, 2010

Traveling often, the rydges is normally a safe bet, but this hotel while clean, good staff etc the room was noisy from traffic and the banging of bathroom pipes from at 5am.
Staying at rydges throughout the country 4 times in the past month, this was a dissapointment, and would be a last resort when returning in the future to paramatta in a few weeks.

• Stayed: October 2010

We are glad that you found the hotel to be clean, and staff at Rydges Parramatta friendly. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments as we do appreciate all feedback provided to us by our guests, and use this information to develop our staff and product. Kind regards, Rydges Parramatta Management.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rosehill
PARKROYAL Parramatta
Mantra Parramatta
Mantra Parramatta
#5 of 12 in Parramatta
Meriton Suites Church Street, Parramatta

Been to Rydges Parramatta? Share your experiences!