“Nice Hotel”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Rosehill
Sydney, Australia
“Nice Hotel”
Reviewed October 2, 2009

I recently stayed in the Parramatta Rydges in Sydney, and I found the hotel quite nice.

The hotel is a few minutes' drive from the Paramatta CBD, right near the Rosehill Race Course. In fact, I get the feeling that the hotel really comes alive on weekends only when there is racing across the road. So much so that one of the restaurants is only open during the week and on weekends when racing is on. The Saturday night I was there it was fairly quiet - no need to book to get a table!

The food was rather inexpensive and really nice. The important thing is to make sure that you have a Ridges Priority Card as the meals are then much cheaper. A meal for two with drinks was only $50 which really is good value. The same food is available on room service, without the discount and with a $5 delivery charge.

The lifts looked as if they needed to be serviced. One of them had a low voltage down light hanging out, and had the floor number indicator flickering. At one stage I called a lift, the doors opened about a foot and closed again and the lift went on its way. Strange.

The room was generally rather good, but it is obvious that the place has been refurbished but needs more. The air conditioner is rather loud, and I would did not find it obvious that I needed to use an unlabeled switch next to the bed to turn it on. The flat panel TV was a nice touch, as was the HDMI and VGA socket allowing me to plug in my laptop. Hint: If you are going away these days, take a short light weight HDMI cable in your laptop bag.

The bathroom was spacious, and the shower was quite good. Unlike some other Ridges, the bath was not overly slippery. The shower head did have a tendency to flop down making showering difficult. This was fixed by tying it up with an old shopping bag. The Ridges Dream Bed was all that I expected it to be. Well worth it! I would have preferred a double lounge to two single lounge chairs, but it was good to have them anyway. Unless you rearrange the room, it is difficult to see the TV from the lounge chairs

The room was on the first floor. Even so, there was a significant amount of howling of the wind audible inside the room. I would not like to try to get a good night sleep on a really windy night.

A hint if you do not know the area... Two blocks away just across the road from the Mercure is a Woolwoth's Supermarket with some fast food stores and small specialty shops. You would not know it was there unless you happened to find it by mistake.

All in all, not a bad little hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
RPAFOM, Front Office Manager at Rydges Parramatta, responded to this review, August 15, 2010
Thank you for your comments, we are glad that you enjoyed the 'Rydges Dream Bed" and the benefits of being a 'Rydges Priority Guest'. Your feedback is vital to the continuous improvement of our service levels and to enhance the great product Rydges Parramatta has to offer our guests.
Kind Regards
Rydges Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Reviewed September 7, 2009

I have stayed here on 3 different nights over August/September 2009. Twice on level 5, Once on level 2.

I have never used their underground parking, But their onsite outdoor carpark is fairly huge. Woolworths, McDonalds, Subway, Pizza shop etc.. Are a couple of blocks down the road or about a 8-10min walk.

I found the staff on each occassion efficient and professional both at check in and check out.

I used the internet on all 3 occassions ($14.50 for 24hr period for Priority members) and it was quick and hardly disconnected when in usage

I have ordered room service on two occassions, Food was fresh and great (Tiramisu is yummy). There is a couple of nice bars onsite, if youd like to wind down fro ma day or have friends over for a drink

My only two hiccups I had

1. When staying on level 2 room. I could hear the flush of the toilet or the washing basin being used in the ajoining room, it was quite loud, as though the walls were paper thin

2. Got a knock on the door for room service at 11.30pm one night, when I already had my room service dinner 4 hours before. Was in a fairly deep sleep, was quite annoying, but mistakes can happen I guess.

Overall, I intend to stay here again. Great nights sleep on their dream beds (these are just the best) clean affordable rooms. Away from any hussle and bussle

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Travelman2500
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay here Rydges Parramatta, and found the staff to be efficient & professional, as this is something we pride ourselves on. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments as we do appreciate all feedback provided to us by our guests, and use this information to develop our staff and product.
Kind Regards,
Melbourne
Reviewed July 21, 2009

If I wasnt so tired on arrival, travelling on business (ie someone else paying) and having few other option close to the workplace I was visiting I would have checked out immediately.

Whilst the staff were pleasant and the restaurants / bars of average standard, to allow a leak to continue through the bathroom wall over such a length of time until the floor was completly wet over a 2m2 area in the corner (the the paint had peeled off the wall and the same problem existed in my replacement room however this time without a soaking wet floor) indicates a management that does not inspect their rooms or maintain any form of standards expected when charging $150+ per night

There were numerous other signs once you started to look around the hotel of general maintainance not being done.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank ARFMJHG
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your stay at Rydges Parramatta. Your comments are appreciated and have been addressed by the Maintenance Manager. Guest feedback it is vital to the continuous improvement of our service levels and to enhance the product Rydges Parramatta has to offer our guests. Thank you again taking the time to share your experience.
Kind Regards
Rydges Management

Travelers are raving about these Rosehill hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rosehill
PARKROYAL Parramatta
#5 of 12 in Parramatta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,177 reviews
Meriton Serviced Apartments George Street, Parramatta
Meriton Serviced Apartments Church Street, Parramatta

Been to Rydges Parramatta? Share your experiences!