“Noisy and overpriced”
Review of Rydges Parramatta

Rydges Parramatta
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Rosehill
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I stayed when Sydney had a lot of events. Due to this, the ridiculous notion of paying double for a room applied (over $400 ). Whilst highway robbery, I understand common practice. The least you can do is provide a room that you can get a nights sleep in. I was placed in an interconnecting room so had the privilege of hearing every word that the room next door had to say - glad they stayed up all night talking. Not their fault, their choice, but as a hotel provide a sound reducing cover over the 20mm gap at the bottom of the door would have resolved this issue. I complained throughout the night 3 times and security was sent the first time - did nothing but make them talk louder. The next times the receptionist just called their room - again nothing but enjoyed listening to their phone ring. I can put up with 80's decor, high prices as long as you provide a basic room that is quiet. Never again and will spread this as far and as wide as possible.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank CeciliaBlewitt
ParramattaManager, Manager at Rydges Parramatta, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Hi CeciliaBlewitt,

Thankyou for your feedback on your recent stay. We were disappointed to hear that you didn't enjoy yourself on a weekend away, and would love to be able to chat to you in person to discuss your concerns. We have tried to contact you and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights and it was well worth the stay. I was upgraded by the Manager to the King Deluxe and was very well rested at the end of the stay. Thanks for noticing my platinum GHA.

Here are the usual pros and cons.

Pros:
- Excellent in room service menu: just a suggestion, you might want to combine your salad menu and steak menu together or at least put it onto the same page. I missed the salad page altogether until I got my steak :)
- Excellent manager who takes notice of the general atmosphere
- Excellent buffet breakfast : Send my regards to Sam the Chef who cooked my omelet for me with a smile.

Cons:
- Swimming pool might need more chemicals.

Room Tip: The further away from the club side, the less noisy when you open the windows.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Jasper H
ParramattaManager, Manager at Rydges Parramatta, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Hi Jasper H,

Thanks for your feedback on your recent stay. It's great to receive comments from our GHA Discovery members, and we're glad you enjoyed your time with us. We have definitely passed on your comments to Sam, which will also keep him smiling.

We look mforward to welcoming you back soon, and maybe utilising any Local experiences you may have!

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Well presented in the usual Rydges manner. Helpful staff, nice ambience. very convenient for the travel reason. easy to get to from the motorway. On site parking was good, at no cost. Good Sydney bus service to Parramatta.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
ParramattaManager, Manager at Rydges Parramatta, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Hi Luke W,

Thanks for your feedback on your recent stay. It's great to hear that our guests are getting what they need out of their time with us. We love that you love our parking facilities, and the M92 bus runs regularly into Parramatta from right out the front of the hotel.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

We came up to Rydges Parramatta to attend a wedding nearby. We chose this place purely on location and we were able to get a good deal online. The rooms itself are dated and initially had a slight musty smell about it, but it really wasn't something to worry about.

We had a room on a high floor and so had a view overlooking Parramatta.

What really impressed us was the service and dinning facilities. They had onsite 2 bars and 2 restaurants. We attended the buffet breakfast which was awesome. And the bar across from the main reception had drink specials on each day which was a bonus. All the staff were really friendly and always greeted us with a smile and hello.

In addition there is a pool and gym facilities. The gym facilities are limited to 2 bikes, 1 treadmill, 1 rower and a weights multi station.

Rydges is right across the road from the Rosehill Racecourse and to get to inner Parramatta would be a 5 to 10 min drive. Car parking is onsite and free to all guests.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view on a high floor are always nice.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
ParramattaManager, Manager at Rydges Parramatta, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Hi Starfysh,

Thanks for your great feedback on your recent stay. It was great to hear that you loved the buffet breakfast and the staff were friendly and always smiling. Champs bar is not the only food and beverage outlet that has specials that change daily - make sure to check out all out other options next time you're here.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

Booked an event package for 2 adults and 2 children through Rydges Parramatta which was over $500 for the one night which included accommodation overnight, breakfast and transfers to the ANZ stadium.
The room was TINY with a double bed and pullout sofa bed. With the sofa bed pulled out there was no room what so ever to get around to the other side of the bed or access the curtains. Also there is a big office chair that doesn't fit under the desk which juts out into the already small space.
The pool is small and enclosed in a small area so once there were a couple of kids playing around it got unbearably noisy also there was only one chair for all adults to sit and watch their children.
Buffett breakfast was ok nothing spectacular although I must say my omelette was delicious!
We ate dinner at the "pub" underneath the hotel it was full of rude old men who treated the staff horribly and demanded attention immediately when they wanted a bet put on. All the tables where you had to eat had used ashtrays on them and people smoking around us while we tried to eat. Would not recommend eating here with children.
But I must say the reception staff are wonderful and if it wasn't for them our stay would not have been as enjoyable!
I usually stay at the Novotel Homebush but it was booked out. The rooms are larger, cheaper and closer to ANZ stadium.

• Stayed: October 2013
ParramattaManager, Manager at Rydges Parramatta, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2013

Hi jo2680Australia,

Thanks for your feedback on your recent stay. Whilst iit is always great to hear that our reception staff are wonderful, it was disappointing to hear you were not happy with the rest of your stay. As you have mentioned, the Entertainment Package does include breakfast for everyone, as well as transfers, which makes the price an all inclusive one, and if you had not booked that package, the cost of the room would have decreased, but there would have been the added costs for breakfast and transfers. Our superior queen rooms can accommodate up to 4 adults with the sofe bed, but we do have a number of other room tyoes available, which would make the night that little bit more comfortable.

It is unfortunate you didn't enjoy your experience in our Winning Post Bar, as it is a relaxing atmosphere and a nice place to sit outside during the day.

We do hope you will consider us again for any furute events, and thank you for your feedback. It's always great to receive feedback from senior contributers.

kind regards,

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Although the Rydges at Parramatta did provide a roof over my head last week, I believe it was an absolute rip off. The rooms were very 1980's and were the bare minimum...dripping taps, scruffy interior etc... which would be OK if I didn't have to pay $400+ per night.....I admit I booked late for the conference, and if I had booked earlier could have stayed for $190/night, but it is difficult to commit to these events until just before the start time especially if you work for private industry where work commitments are so high and subject to change. While booking over the phone the day before the in-house event started, I was told of the rates, but that the booking rep would look at discussing with the 'manager' and she should be able to bring those rates down closer to the other event delegates rates of $190/night. Ha! when it was time to settle up after 3 nights, the full rates were charged and no amount of pleading by me would sway her mind. Pay up!! She then had the cheek to offer a 10% reduction on my next visit! NEVER will I stay there or any other Rydges hotel...Ever....

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank fromsa2013

Hi fromSA2013,

Thanks for your feedback on your recent stay. It is disappointing to hear you were unhappy with your stay, due to the rates on offer. As you had mentioned, we did have a special rate for your group which unfortunately did expire a few weeks before the date of the conference, and unfortunately the second night of the conference was a very big event night at Homebush, which does affect the local area in terms of rates. Our guests do have a number of restaurants and bars to choose from in the hotel, as well as our pool and gym. We would also have loved to have been able to take care of the issues with your room at the time of your stay.

Once again, thankyou for you feedback.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

I agree with Kathleen, and the front desk staff were very helpful. Beyond that there was not much that warranted the room rates. The air quality in the room was terrible, due in part to the air conditioning not working. The shower head did not attach to the wall mount, which made it difficult to take a shower.

One night wanting a good meal I went to the resturant and asked for a table for one. The hostess asked that I wait at the bar while she rearranged tables. She said it would take about ten minutes. I was asked if I wanted a drink and ordered a dry gin martini. The girl did not know how to make one so I asked that she give the gin on the rocks. Fifteen miuntes later I asked a staff member if I could have my check and to cancel my table, although the hostess never came back to seat me.

Being hungry I ordered something at the resturant near the lobby. twenty five minutes later finally received my food. Never did anyone from the resturant come and explain why I could not be seated in the main resturant, althought the original hostess passed by me several times.

The hotel did not live up to the impression given on the web site. Very overpriced and staff did not project a desire to provide more than customer service. Customer Satisfaction would have been refreshing.

The breakfast buffett at 29.00 is extremely overpriced.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Ronald S
ParramattaManager, Manager at Rydges Parramatta, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Hi rsegura,

Thankyou for your feedback on your recent stay. We were disappointed to hear about your concerns and have passed those on to our Food and Beverage Manager who has since contacted you in regards to these.

We hope your flight home was smooth and that you're not missing the weather here!

The Rydges Parramatta Team.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rosehill
Mercure Sydney Parramatta
#5 of 12 in Parramatta
Novotel Sydney Parramatta
Novotel Sydney Parramatta
#8 of 12 in Parramatta

Been to Rydges Parramatta? Share your experiences!