“Relaxing Long Lunch on the Harbour”

Catalina Restaurant
Reserve with
Catalina Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 52 Restaurants in Rose Bay
Cuisines: Seafood, Australian, Contemporary
Good for: Scenic view, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Situated on the shores of Sydney Harbour on Rose Bay, Catalina is a beautiful, airy light-filled restaurant and bar with floor to ceiling glass sliding doors opening out onto a long curved balcony over the water. In keeping with its harbourside location, the menu features beautifully fresh seafood - Sydney Rock oysters shucked to order; house smoked Tasmanian salmon; whole snapper and barramundi, filleted on the premises - but also a wide range of the best meat and poultry Australia has to offer. A fabulous Australian and global wine list (over 600 wines) and welcoming, attentive service, make this restaurant a must-do Sydney dining experience. Come in all day for the full menu - Catalina doesn't close between lunch and dinner - or graze on bar food overlooking the most beautiful harbour in the world.
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Relaxing Long Lunch on the Harbour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

Catalina's is ideal for a relaxing long lunch while overlooking our Beautiful Sydney harbour. Last weekend I went with a friend for a birthday lunch and we both thoroughly enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere.The service is the best, I've had in a very long time. The food was delicious and well timed...and not rushing you out the door, like so many restaurants do these days. I had forgotten what a stunning view Catalinas has of the Harbour,with the afternoon Sun over the water -just gorgeous.They even discreetly organised a last minute, little surprise dessert with candles, which was lovely too. I will definitely return to Catalinas again soon.

Sydney, Australia
“Great on a sunny day for lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

Pricey - but you are getting quality. Eat here a bit and hard to fault. Make sure you ask for a window table and have a finishing drink on the deck

• Visited May 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Good, but did not meet my expectations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

We dine out a lot in Sydney, experiencing the best and most interesting restaurants. We came here for our anniversary because it was in a beautiful location and out of the CBD. The food was as usual in Sydney, expensive, but entrees in particular were as expensive as mains in some cases. The food wasn't bad at all, we both enjoyed it very much but it just wasn't as exciting as I would have expected given reviews I have read and the reputation that the restaurant has.
We also wanted to drink a nice shiraz, and the sommelier pointed us to the three cheapest on their list, expecting that because we are young we can't afford anything else. Again the service was not bad, but it wasn't overly friendly and no one really asked us if we were enjoying the food..or made an effort to talk to us.. which I think is nice when you are spending 3 hours in a restaurant.
Anyway, I think Catalina delivers good food, but there is better restaurants out there with a similar theme. So try it for yourself and see what you think.

2 Thank Lauren W
Judy M, Owner at Catalina Restaurant, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
I am so glad you enjoyed your food on your recent visit. With regard to wine recommendations, we encourage our Sommeliers to let the client guide them with regard to price, rather than upsell, as we feel there is nothing worse than staff recommending just the most expensive wines on the list. I am sorry you felt judged, but I think the Sommelier was simply following our protocol.
Redondo Beach, California
“A table with a view!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

First visit for my husband and I, our two friends live locally, so they had been before. We were there for lunch on Saturday, holiday weekend. Place was busy but not full. Staff were attentive and knowledgeable. Decided to go for main course only. All of us had big breakfasts! Had some wonderful bubbly wet our tongues, and really tasty bread slices to munch on as we waited for mains. Two had the Blue fish, one chose open lasagne Moreton Bay Bugs from the entree menu and I had Toothfish. Now, I hadn't heard of this fish before but our waiter explained that it was similar to Chilean Sea bass, he caught my American twang! Sure enough, it was like the bass. Firm, fleshy, buttery, yum! We ordered sides of green beans and broccolini, and french fries. Not a scrap of food was left on those plates! Everything was so delicious and all washed down with a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc, called, Man O' War! We chose it because of a conversation about a pub in Ireland called, Man O'War! It was a lovely wine and complemented the food beautifully! Looking at the dessert menu, we felt that is was our duty to sample a few! We choose the 5 sample tasting platter. Presentation was amazing! Looked too good to eat! All tasted good, but the only one that really stood out as fab, was the lemon tart.
The view is breathtaking. Watching the seaplanes come and go was an extra bonus for me!

Judy M, Owner at Catalina Restaurant, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments. Glad you enjoyed everything so much, and we hope to see you again soon.
Sydney
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Special occasion lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

My husband and I took a good friend who recently lost her husband for lunch to Catalina's to celebrate her birthday. It was nice lunch. Food was great, service was good but I thought that it would have been even better if someone from the restaurant have wished her a Happy Birthday and made a special occasion even more special, especially when they were made aware of it. Even a simple acknowledgement would have been better then none at all. It is an upmarket restaurant and they were not busy, I felt a little disappointed.