“A spectacular way to arrive for lunch”
Review of Sydney Seaplanes

and up
Sydney Northern Beaches Scenic Flight by Seaplane
Ranked #2 of 13 things to do in Rose Bay
Reviewed December 8, 2014

I booked a Fly & Dine package as a surprise for my partner’s birthday. Sydney Seaplanes offers a number of different packages, from short scenic flights to longer trips including lunch, or dinner and an overnight stay. I opted for the lunch package at Berowra Waters Inn, which included return flights and a seven course dégustation lunch (drinks extra).

Booking was easy. Packages and costs are clearly explained on the website and can be booked online; I booked over the phone (Sydney Seaplanes also took care of the restaurant booking), and received an email confirmation within minutes.

The flight itself was wonderful, all the more so as we had a glorious sunny day. Departing from the site of the former international flying boat base at Rose Bay, we headed out over Watson’s Bay and South Head, over Manly and Shelley Beach, following the coastline along the northern beaches before heading west over Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park, and finally descending below the wooded ridges to land on Berowra Creek.

After a sumptuous and relaxing lunch, the seaplane returned to collect us for our flight back to Rose Bay; retracing our path over the coast, with a final scenic loop overhead the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House before landing.

The flights were smooth and comfortable, and we felt quite safe. The journey was about 15-20 minutes each direction, cruising just 1,000 feet above the coast. The aircraft was a high-wing Cessna, affording largely unobstructed views to the side and below the plane.

Of course, this is a relatively expensive excursion, but I could not fault the professionalism of the pilots and other staff or the overall experience. For a special occasion, this was a memorable and worthwhile treat.

Sydney Seaplanes’ base at Rose Bay is adjacent to the Rose Bay wharf, and is easily accessible by ferry from Circular Quay.

All reviews
in 10 reviews
"an incredible experience"
"berowra waters inn"

Reviewed December 6, 2014

What a " Sydney " experience! These people at Sydney Seaplanes are very good at keeping surprises. We flew on their 12 seater Cessna Caravan with 10 passengers and our pilot Jarrod, of which 2 people including myself had no idea where we were going and we had to wait to the very end before all was revealed. What a terrific experience. We had just hit the skies and flying over the Opera House the young man sitting behind me proposed to marry his girlfriend. She said "yes"! We landed at Palm Beach and 6 passengers disembarked and we went onto Hardys Bay were we hopped onto a water taxi to be greeted at the jetty by our transport to Bells at Killcare. Everything was just so well taken care of and I can not recommend Sydney Seaplanes enough for that very special occasion.

Reviewed November 24, 2014

Not cheap so save up for that very special occasion. Must book well in advance, perhaps incorporate a lunch at Jonah's or Pete's Bite or The Boathouse at Palm Beach.

Reviewed November 22, 2014

I took my wife for her birthday on a flight from Rose Bay to Cottage Point for lunch and then returned. The staff were excellent from start to finish. Our pilot DJ was friendly, professional, helpful and informative. Matthew who we spent some time with after the flight was also very helpful and friendly. I can't think of anything negative whatsoever. To top off the experience we stayed in Sydney and organised a water taxi via Sydney Seaplanes. This was also a great experience in itself and we didn't have the additional hassle with parking as we left the hotel.

I would strongly recommend this package for a special experience. The harbour is spectacular and on a lovely day it is a faultless experience.