“Best restaurant very well priced”
Review of Gloria's Cafe

Gloria's Cafe
Ranked #12 of 65 Restaurants in Petersham
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

I live in the area and for years/ is it decades my partner has been hassling me to go there. It had great reviews years/ decades ago when it opened. In the meanwhile we did lots of travelling (and travel reviews) and I needed a hip replacement. I spent a week at a Petersham rehab hospital and was very impressed with a nurse, Gloria, who spoke with what I thought was a Sth American accent. She told me she was Portuguese and I joked "Gloria's Cafe". She said "I am Gloria". At that point I thought if her restaurant is as good as her nursing, I have to go there... Finally. Now when I think of eating out, I think of Gloria's. The first night we had the chicken schnitzel dish (with chips and salad) and the pork, tripe and white bean casserole. We shared a glass of sangria, and shared the orange roll dessert. $54 - fantastic food, wine and price. Service was great. Bit of a wait for the main course. But that convinced us it was freshly cooked. Second night we had tapas dishes - bravas batatas (fried potatoes with sour cream and a hot sauce) white bait fried individually rather than the lump of fried fish some restaurants serve, sardines - crisp and fried in a light batter, chorizo and broad bean casserole. Again we shared a glass of sangria. Another delightful meal. $54 again. For more food than we could possibly eat. Doggy bags both times. I cannot speak highly enough of Gloria's. Very clean and comfortable with air con and a sidewalk eating area. I will be eating there again and again, and am kicking myself that it took me so long to get there. I needed to meet Gloria in her new career as a nurse. Her son runs the restaurant now, and it is excellent. Don't take any notice of the few negative reviews up there.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

I had heard about Petersham being the little Portugal of Sydney and being from Brisbane where Nando's is the closest thing we get... I decided to venture out to see for myself.
As soon as we walked in, I knew we were going to get authentic Portuguese food.
The soup tasted just like my Grandma's. Mum had a prego and she said it was delicious.
We polished it off with some pasteis de nata. They were great!
It was just a pity we had to leave room for a wedding dinner or we would have had more!
Everything about this restaurant reminded me of Portugal. I will be back and I will make sure I have enough room to eat some bacalhau!

1  Thank brizzie_backpacker
Reviewed December 13, 2013

We went to this cafe recently as a group. The staff were delightful and very helpful. But the "food" left a lot to be desired.
we shared some plates of tapas style plates...small servings and everything was salty. The broad beans and chorizo especially were tasteless. The tapas arrived at the table fairly quickly.

We all ordered a different main meal....which might account for well over an hour's wait...other newcomers who arrived after we had finished the tapas food all received their food very quickly, while we all waited and waited. Eventually I ordered the white bean "stew" reputedly with smoked pork, chorizo and tripe...sounded great...how wrong I was...this was not a stew as such...stews usually have meat in them...not as follows. What I was served was an extremely large serve of white beans in some sort of sauce...ONE piece of chorizo and 2 very small pieces of smoked pork...with 5 small pieces of a very tender tripe...could have done with more of that. This "splodge" covered most of the plate and the space left was filled with rice (boiled with a few scatterings of parsley) That was it. It not only looked yuk, but mostly tasted of salt...I am not that familiar with Portugese food...is salt usually in such evidence ?

We did not remain for a dessert...wasn't an exciting choice from what we saw others get.
We were disappointed in the meal as we had hoped for a fun night.

Once again staff were so good...pity the place was so let down by the food.

2  Thank autumn19
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I had heard good things about this place from friends so i thought i would go down there with my partner and a friend couple to try it out on a saturday night. The place was half full at 7pm so we got a table since we didnt make a reservation and just as well we got in at 7pm because 1 hour later the place was packed.

We decided to order some tapas and main courses to share. For tapas we ordered the stuffed calamari ( stuffed with chourico, bacon and rice ), portuguese prawns ( slightly chilli with lemon sauce ), Meatballs ( home made meat balls in a tomato based sauce abd batatas bravas ( fried cubed patatos with a home made spice sauce). We absolutley loved the combination.

For mains we where recommended the Pork Alentejana ( pork peices with fried cubed patatos and vongolies ) Feijoada ( red bean casserolle with chourico, beef and pork )and Rojoes ( Pork peices cooked in red wine.

Overall we where extremely happy and stuffed for the main courses are huge.

Also i highly recommend the sangria but be careful for its very addictive. lol

Will come back for sure. Highly recommend.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Bad experience at this restaurant confirms why there were plenty of free tables at 8pm in a Saturday night. The seafood stew I ordered was sat in a deep film of oil, the fillets of fish tasted like salted cod with heaps of nasty hidden bones. My partner ordered the pork and clam stew which didn't get served until after I finished my meal. Why they can't get meals out at around the same time was blamed on an inexperienced waiter even though he very meticulously took down the order. Never again. Avoid and book some place that looks like it turns over many happy customers.