“Great day!”

Ranked #2 of 23 things to do in Mosman
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Taking a ferry directly from Circular Quay to Taronga Zoo, located in the suburb of Mosman, is the first unexpected joy of visiting the animal park. Once there, the leisurely trails and opportunity to see some of Australia's distinct wildlife become apparent, as does the striking view of the Harbour Bridge from the seating at the aerial bird show. Advance booking can give you the chance to see koalas up close, or stay overnight and 'camp' in the zoo.
Reviewed June 3, 2006

We loved this zoo. Traveling with young adult children it is not always possible to find something that we all enjoy but this was it! Not only were the animals in full view for the most part but the setting is incredible. You cannot touch the Koalas here but you can get up real close for a little extra money.

2  Thank Pumpduster
There are newer reviews for Taronga Zoo

Reviewed May 14, 2006

I had a brilliant day in Taronga Zoo and can honestly say it was a perfect day out, even for those without kids. My friend and I went on a lovely sunny day in May and I must say that Autumn is the perfect time to visit as it is not too hot and the amimals seem to be enjoying tthe comfortable sunshine without the energy sapping effects of summer heat . If you are short of time and want some good photos of|Sydney this is the place to go. We took the ferry which gives great photo opportunities and the cable car ride to the top of the zoo which is included in your ticket price and its a brilliant way to start your day. Because the kids have gone back to school there was a lovely leisurely feel to the zoo no queues for anything. I used a 20% discount coupon from one of the free infomation leaflets that you find everywhere in tourist areas in Sydney which worked out cheaper than the combined ferry zoo pass, however I think at busy times of the year the zoo pass would probaly get you ahead of the queues so it would be worth buying. We loved the free flight bird show , and the Koala encounter(you cant hold a Koala anymore in NSW as its illegal but you can have your photos taken and just gently pat one. We had a really nice and reasonabley priced lunch with a chilled glass of white wine in the Treetops cafe which has stunning views over the harbour and viisting Kookaburas who sit inches away from your table in the treetops. All in all a brilliant and very reasonabley priced day out compared to UK prices and one I would very much recomend as much for the lovely views as the zoo itself.

6  Thank Dreaming_of_Elysium
Reviewed April 25, 2006

Great ferry ride over - good views of the Opera House. Well laid out zoo, get there early to catch the animals awake before it gets too hot.
Hated the sea lion show - very commercialised and contrived. Excellent information next to each exhibit about habitat, conservation, life cycles etc. Good restaurant facilities. Excellent views back over Sydney Bridge, Opera House and harbour area.

4  Thank JoLondonUK
Reviewed March 4, 2006

Having previously visited San Diego Zoo but hearing all the hype about Taronga, we were really excited to have the opportunity to visit. We visited the zoo on a hot day in February and were mildly dissappointed!

As commented previously, the ferry ride over to the zoo is great, as is the view. However, there was a distinct lack of animals available / out to view and the zoo certainly wasn't a patch on San Diego.

The bit we did enjoy was the bird show and I would urge anyone visiting to make time for this.

I recommend taking drinks / food with you as we paid over $3.50 for a 600ml bottle of diet coke! I would also recommend getting the combo zoo ticket / ferry ride (with Captain Cook) as if you get fed up with the Zoo (as we did) you can continue on the Ferry to Watsons Bay for great Fish and Chips!

If you haven't visited any big zoos before, I'm sure you will enjoy the whole experience. However, expect to be dissappointed if you have visited other, larger zoos!

5  Thank SallyLJ
Reviewed February 12, 2006

This zoo has to be one of the prettiest in the world. I had a fantastic time visiting with children. While it is on the expensive side in relation to other attractions it is well worth the money.
It is in the middle of some construction work at the moment in preparation for the new elephants but the impact is minimal.
Kids love this place and adults will love the views from various points along the walk.
The best way to see the zoo is to get the ferry across, then catch the cable car up to the top (it is built on a hill) and then make your way to the bottom, where you can catch the ferry again. I also recommend getting a map and deciding where you want to go and what shows you want to see - go early for the seal show as you may not be able to get seats.
I had a fantastic time on my second trip.

7  Thank canberragal