“Not disability friendly”

Ranked #1 of 24 things to do in Mosman
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Taking a ferry directly from Circular Quay to Taronga Zoo, located in the suburb of Mosman, is the first unexpected joy of visiting the animal park. Once there, the leisurely trails and opportunity to see some of Australia's distinct wildlife become apparent, as does the striking view of the Harbour Bridge from the seating at the aerial bird show. Advance booking can give you the chance to see koalas up close, or stay overnight and 'camp' in the zoo.
Reviewed December 18, 2013

I love the zoo, it has always been a favourite attraction, however on a recent trip I had broken my foot and found access to shows and the animals was very limited. The paths are steep and uneven and facilities for those with limited mobility not user friendly. This started with not being ble to access the skylift even though I had a pass for it through to no seats in the bus to the top although the bus driver was very helpful. Very disappointed.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

I must begin by saying this is not a review for the zoo itself, as the zoo is great. This is entirely based on our experience of the 'Roar and Snore' evening which describes itself as much more than it actually is. Be warned, the staggering cost of the evening does not match the experience at all. To keep this review short, I shall just say that the evening started well with snacks and breathtaking views of sydney harbour at sunset but went downhill from there. The meal was average but we were happy enough with it. The supposed 'night tour' consisted of too many people so unless you were pushing your way to the front, many of the animals couldn't actually be seen. It was much easier to see them in the zoo the next day with less people around. The tour guides were good but all very keen so kept cutting in on each other with new bits of information, so surely smaller groups with a single tour guide would please everyone? So the three of us and many others spent the night tour looking at the back of other people's heads. The tour was then taken back to camp and told we had to be having breakfast at 6.30am. I have absolutely no problem with early mornings, I get up at 5.45 for work, however the tour guides remained in the 'refreshment tent' with other loud guests until well after midnight. We could then hear the old guests spending a long time getting ready for bed which kept us all up much later than we'd anticipated and we'd all got upset at the situation which resulted in hardly any sleep, not to mention the three of us had paid the exact same amount per person to be there but we had an extra bed squeezed into our tent so there was barely any room to move. So if you do decide to do this, only go as a pair! We are not horrible people and we do not mind people staying up late and having fun at these sorts of things (two of us are on our 20's), it just seemed unfair that the 'refreshment tent' was a) a tent and not a solid structure which would be much better for sound proofing or b) that it is not directly in the middle of all the sleeping tents. Our total lack of sleep and frustration completely ruined the next day when we were again upset to see that we were separated into groups for the early morning experiences, yet they didn't think of that the previous evening. As we were so exhausted, we ended up leaving the zoo much earlier than expected the next day so we had to miss out seeing some of the animals but we couldn't hold our eyes open!

I wasn't going to write this review as I had heard some good things about roar and snore, but I have written TWO e mails to the taronga zoo team since our stay and have had NO REPLY from the roar and snore team which I find the most shocking and rude thing about it all. A company and an evening that bases itself on caring aspects etc and they can't even be bothered to reply to my polite e mail suggesting improvements for other people so they don't have the let down experience we had. As soon as they have your money, they don't care.

Bottom line: TOO EXPENSIVE FOR WHAT YOU GET. NO DIFFERENT TO JUST GOING TO THE ZOO. DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY AND TIME.

8  Thank Amy L

39  Thank Amy L
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Throughly enjoyed visiting the zoo, it is extremely well laid out, exceptionally clean. The keepers/volunteers were genuinely happy to take the time to answer any questions of just have a chat. Food is extremely pricey, so suggest taking snacks or a picnic lunch. The views out over the harbour, the perfect backdrop. We spent the best part of the day there and still didn't see everything, which is a good thing, as we are definitely coming back.

1  Thank Jan C
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Taronga Zoo was recommended to me by a work colleague. At first I was not interested, however I decided to check it out. Wow!! What a great place to visit if you happen to be in Sydney. Be sure to purchase the zoo and round trip ticket from Circular Quay. The sky tram at the zoo was great...it allows you to easily walk down and check out the various animal attractions while getting a spectacular view of the Sydney harbor at the same time. This is a great way so spend a half-day or more and you get to see a wide variety of animals.