“Free Flight Bird Show”

Ranked #2 of 24 things to do in Mosman
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Taking a ferry directly from Circular Quay to Taronga Zoo, located in the suburb of Mosman, is the first unexpected joy of visiting the animal park. Once there, the leisurely trails and opportunity to see some of Australia's distinct wildlife become apparent, as does the striking view of the Harbour Bridge from the seating at the aerial bird show. Advance booking can give you the chance to see koalas up close, or stay overnight and 'camp' in the zoo.
Perth, Western Australia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Free Flight Bird Show”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

I was in Sydney in May of this year and I enjoyed two visits to the Zoo. I returned to Sydney last month for a short holiday. My wife who has never been to the Zoo so we paid a visit.

On my last visit I was not aware that there was a free flight bird show held at the Zoo each day at 3.00 p.m. We half-heartedly decided to watch this show which alone turned out to be worth the price of admission.

The rapport between the Keepers and the birds is touching and the show is totally absorbing. If you like birds this is something not to be missed. Any thoughts that birds are not intelligent will be dispelled by your attendance at this display.

Having paid for admission to the Zoo, this show is free.

Visited October 2012

• Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Shame on Zoo Management”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

Perhaps I'm spoiled by living in a city with a fabulous zoo, one in which the habitat for the animals is as spacious and natural as possible. And a priority.

My husband and I were shocked and depressed by the sad conditions in which the animals of Taronga Zoo live. More in a moment, but first, here are a few words about what I did appreciate about the zoo. It is well laid out with good maps and signage so that the paths are easy to follow. The volunteers and staff are terrific. My husband and I caught bits of the seal show, which was fabulous, and watched a staff member work with an elephant to move logs around. We heard a handler tell us about giraffes as she fed three of them. All of the human/animal interactions we saw, small and large, were a treat. Additionally, whomever worked out the logistics with the ferry system so that one ticket gets you across the water, up the gondola and into the zoo was really thinking.

Beyond that, my husband and I were so dismayed by the bare conditions in which the animals live that we left much sooner than we had intended. What made the situation worse were the automated dinosaurs scattered across the grounds. They were well done, giving us the impression that huge sums of money went into making and placing them. While we could see that children were fascinated by them, all I could think was who made the decision to put in these monstrosities when the money could have been spent enriching the conditions for the animals?

As we walked by the automatons, I kept thinking of the volunteer who handed us a map when we arrived. She made a comment about the dinosaurs that gave me the impression that she was doing her utmost to be enthusiastic about them but was really quite perplexed by their presence. I join her in being confused by their presence but don't have near her tolerance for whomever made that choice. Whatever were they thinking?

Visited November 2012
1 Thank StartingFromSeattle
Taronga_Zoo, Guest Relations Manager at Taronga Zoo, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear StartingFromSeattle,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to Taronga Zoo. The welfare of the animals in our care is Taronga’s highest priority. Our keepers and behavioural scientists work extremely hard to ensure that all our animals’ needs are met and we keep them in the best possible environments. We are sorry to hear that you feel that the conditions do not meet these standards.

As Taronga is a not for profit organisation, all the income that we receive goes straight back in to animal welfare, conservation projects, and maintaining our two zoos. By visiting the zoos, guests contribute to our work for wildlife conservation.
We introduced the temporary ‘Dinosaur’s in the Wild’ exhibit as an educational tool to help convey conservation messages in an interesting and engaging way. All of the dinosaurs have been paired with an animal that is Threatened or Endangered at our Zoos. The intention is to educate visitors on the dinosaur extinction story and to use this help them understand the current threats to animals of today. We encourage them to take action through their everyday behaviour in an attempt help to slow down today’s rates of extinction here and overseas.

Programs such as this help us work towards achieving our overall goals in animal conservation as well as funding critical conservation programs.

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding our staff and way finding, I will be sure to pass this on.

Regards,
Melbourne, Australia
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“My #2 favorite zoo in Australia”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

The reason why I love this zoo is the atmosphere, and the view. The cable car as well as the ferry boat ride is the start to the adventure and the hill that overlooks Sydney that the zoo is built on is lovely!

Animal exhibits are great and they all have large environments and seem quite happy. :)

Recommended completely for any person who visits Sydney.

Visited April 2012
Sydney, Australia
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Lack of service spoiled what should have been a great day”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Arrived at the zoo early to get a park in a surrounding street instead of paying the $6 per hour council rate or $5 per hour zoo car park rate. (all day parking is also available for $7 in the nearby National Park if you don't mind a bit of a walk) I then lined up for half an hour on a non-holiday period Monday to get tickets. There were only two overworked ladies selling tickets! Sadly I then found out that to get a zoo friends pass, I had to go to a different area in the zoo...some recognition of this fact might have been nice on the admission price board! After getting tickets or pass, one then had to line up for another 15 minutes to get admitted through one of two turnstiles operating at the main zoo entrance. Come on Taronga! The entrance price is quite expensive so it might be time to cross train a few staff to work at the entry points in busier times. I also found that most of the drink and ice cream kiosks were closed and all food outlets were understaffed. Otherwise, the animal exhibits were great, and there are some fantastic views to be had of Sydney Harbour, the Bridge and the Opera House. The zoo is very stroller/pram friendly. The seal show and the birds of prey show were both excellent. If Taronga wants to be considered a zoo of international standing, they need to fix the areas where they are deficient in service...perhaps the money spent on animatronic dinosaurs could have been better spent (although they are pretty cool!)

Visited November 2012
Dear BobandWendy151,

We would like to apologise for your experiences at entry to Taronga on Monday this week. As you noted correctly, this is normally a relatively quieter time for visitation. Unfortunately on Monday we were taken by surprise –the recent opening of our “Dinosaurs in the Wild” exhibit and the state public holiday in Victoria meant the Zoo was much busier than we, and our catering partner, had expected and so at opening we did not have sufficient resources in place to provide the highest levels of service. We were able to move and add resources to address the situation during the morning. We also appreciate your feedback regarding a Zoo Friends pass; the possibility of signage at ticketing will be explored and we will explore options for visitors to purchase a membership at Ticketing.

We do strive to give all of our guests a unique and memorable experience and are disappointed when a Zoo visit does not meet this usually high standard. However, we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the rest of your visit, including our bird and seal shows and the Dinosaurs in the Wild exhibition. All three of these experiences are part of our goal to help educate and inspire our visitors to take positive action to help protect wildlife. As a not-for-profit organisation, by visiting the zoo, guests also contribute to our work for wildlife conservation.

Kind Regards,
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Truly Unique!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

We visited Melbourne and Sydney but opted Taronga Zoo over Melbourne Zoo for its cable car experience, to see Sydney, its Opera House, Harbour bridge etc. from a different angle. The mode of transportation to get to the zoo is already an experience we and our son enjoyed, the ferry boat ride and the cable car, but the various shows that thought us more of what made certain animals special made it a truly unique experience.
Tips to travelers:
1. If possible, choose Sunday to go to the zoo as it would save you $ from your budget; only $2.50 for a Sunday Funday ticket - whole day of unlimited travel in public ferry, bus and metro. However, arrive early to avoid the crowd.
2. Book online to save you time and money; just don't forget your printed tickets
3. Allocate whole day for this itinerary and schedule shows to visit as it is definitely worth it.
4. Encounter with koalas sold out early, so be ahead of time to experience it.

Enjoy! ;)