“Won't be back”

Ranked #2 of 24 things to do in Mosman
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Taking a ferry directly from Circular Quay to Taronga Zoo, located in the suburb of Mosman, is the first unexpected joy of visiting the animal park. Once there, the leisurely trails and opportunity to see some of Australia's distinct wildlife become apparent, as does the striking view of the Harbour Bridge from the seating at the aerial bird show. Advance booking can give you the chance to see koalas up close, or stay overnight and 'camp' in the zoo.
Reviewed November 19, 2011

As a Sydney-sider, I came here a multitude of times with school and friends and more recently, to show the sights to overseas tourists. I was embarrassed with the entry fee and the actual sights. Over the past 2 years, I've been there for weddings, 2 work functions and to see the animals... EVERYTIME, there is some significant closure of an attraction... And I mean the larger animals which people want to see. The last 2 times, the chimp enclosure was closed, before that, the lions... I understand that repairs and upgrades are required, BUT leave a sign out the front so people know before they pay their money of which enclosure is closed so that they don't waste their cash if they want to see a specific animal... Better still, put it on the net which anals are unavailable... Make sense. Other than that, found the staff at the top food counter rude as well as some others when asked to move when a family member was smiling in the top open area... Try putting signs up... Will return one day but only when you advise people of enclosure closures.

1  Thank Dave L

Reviewed November 1, 2011

Taronga is an excellent zoo. For something different and because we had an American tourist visiting we went a different way to what we normally would, we went via the Aussie animals.

Very enjoyable day. I like that they had reasonably priced healthy foods as well as the usual deep fried options.

It is an expensive entry fee however I think most people would agree it is justifiable.

Reviewed October 30, 2011

Lovely zoo with all the native australian animals. The cable car ride in the park made it special for my children. The variety of animals is great and facilities are very child friendly.

Reviewed October 27, 2011

Really one of the best zoos I have been to. The exhibits are very well done and the flow/path really great. Getting there could not be easier as the Ferry drops you off basically at the front steps. I was shocked at the price, but we certainly got our money's worth - spent the entire day strolling around. Don't try to be quick, because you'll miss so much. I LOVED the aviaries and the very interactive design. Got some great pictures just inches from some of the animals. Certainly go, but don't be shocked at the ticket prices! :)

Reviewed October 23, 2011

The best thing about the zoo was the Australian animals. I think it is worth lingering over these areas, like the koalas, kangaroos, other marsupials, platypus, and the excellent reptile house. I really liked the snakes. Also it is good to wander slowly through the bird enclosures and have a look for them. The African animal area was shut when we were there which was a shame but I have seen this elsewhere anyway.

Some people have complained about the lack of food stalls but I must say I quite liked the fact there wasn't a heaving busy fast food outlet on every corner.

It is expensive so I took my time and got my value for money, I think! Arrived just after 11am and stayed until 4.