“Belligerent Customer Service”

Ibis Budget Hotel Sydney Airport
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Mascot
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Be careful booking online. Whilst booking my accommodation my internet connection was interrupted, so I went back online and tried again, this time with success. Apparently I booked and paid for two rooms and only found out when I turned up at the hotel.

The first person I spoke to was sympathetic and asked his boss to refund me the cost of the extra room. Enter the dragon woman who told me it was entirely my fault, she could do nothing for me and implied I was idiot. Eventually she condescended to moving one of the rooms to a date next month. She made out like she was doing me the biggest favour and it was such an effort for her to do so.

Pity, I always tell my clients a problem (like this) is an opportunity to shine and make a customer love you. She missed a golden opportunity to shine and has alienated a potential loyal customer.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Write a ReviewReviews (2,202)

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Ugly building. Abrupt woman Denise at check-in. Head bangs on shelf above basin when you clean teeth. Ghastly bathroom. No facecloth, no tissues, no tea/coffee making in room, no phone, no curtains, just very ugly blinds, dirty walls. What a dump. Could the rooms be any smaller? Just because it's a bit cheaper doesn't mean it has to be an unpleasant experience.

Room Tip: Stay at the the Airport Hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Dianne B
Reviewed June 26, 2013

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2013

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I think the shower curtin in the bathroom is terrible it clings to you when you shower and the water runs towards the door making it very wet if you need to use the bathroom during the night. The beds were very comfortable and we had a good nights sleep.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Good location within walking distance (if you only have 1 or 2 wheeled-bags) of domestic terminals. Ideal for when I'm on early flights & only require the basic functions of a motel room - bed, shower. Not a place to meet friends or conduct business, but it doesn't pretend to be. Service is minimal, but entirely adequate. Value for money for those on a budget.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We had stayed at the formule 1 hotel previously, as it is fairly cheap and easy to get to the airport for an early flight, and knew what to expect.

Our check in on this occasion was quick and easy, with what appeared to be a lovely husband and wife on reception.

We entered the room, which barely had enough room at the end of the bed to wheel our bag through, but sufficient room in the corner to stow it.

The blind was down, and could not be opened, as it appeared to be somehow built into the window frame, and was not possible to raise (even though many people before me had attempted, leaving it rather tatty and useless)

The bathroom (as I had remembered it) was a wet room, where everything manages to get wet when taking a shower (including the toilet) which meant that clothes could not be taken in with you.

The bed was pretty firm, but sagged in the middle. There was no bedhead, and the bed itself was on wheels, which meant it was constantly moving away from the wall as we layed in bed watching tv (which was way too high up the wall), and also during the night, leaving our pillow falling down the crack. The pillow itself (only one each) felt like a tissue inside a pillowcase, which was ridiculous, and left us both tossing and Turing during the night, attempting to get comfortable (as well as a stiff neck and headache the next morning). And before you ask, we didn't contact reception for extra pillows as there is no phone, and it was a long walk through the hotel in our PJs in the middle of the night, where I didn't really expect any luck (given the budget nature of this hotel).

Overall, probably not my best hotel experience, and I am likely next time to avoid staying at the airport the night before, and instead brave a very early morning train trip, to avoid a horrible night sleep, with the privilege of paying $95.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple