“Horrible - never again”

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Mascot
ACT
“Horrible - never again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2009

We booked the accommodation over the internet, and were both looking forward to our stay at what we thought was a reputable hotel. Our check-in encounter was less than expected, with only one employee dealing with all check-ins and enquiries at that particular time. The female employee that eventually served us hardly went out of her way at all to make us feel welcome. There were no instructions on the facilities available or any help with parking our car. We also did not receive any help to carry our baggage, not even any offers. We were then left to figure out which floor our room was on and how to park our car. On subsequent return to the hotel in our vehicle on two other occasions (late at night), we found that the car park gate was shut and we had to make our way around to the reception area to rouse a staff member to open the gate for us. (This is not an easy task if you are in your car down the driveway – possibly just a key to open the door would be easier?)

On arrival at our room, we found that our mini-bar key was not working and there were no bathrobes made available for our use (the information on the internet stipulated that there were bathrobes supplied). Furthermore, the shower pressure was very low, making it difficult to shower/clean oneself.

We were also looking forward to having thorough work-outs in the gym, however found that a lot of the machinery was faulty or broken (two rowing machines, a bike, a treadmill, a chin/dip machine). The air-conditioning appeared to be too low or out of order because it was extremely hot inside the gym. There were no towels and also no cups to have a drink of water. To top it all off, the spa was out of order, and it felt like the supposedly heated pool wasn’t at all heated. Outside around the pool area was messy, with dirty crockery, glassware and dirty towels lying around. Even the bathroom/change room facilities for the pool area were untidy, with dirty towels lying around. The shower cubical in the female change room was very dimly lit and thus posed a very serious risk of a possible slip or fall. If we had known that the advertised facilities were in such a state, we would have chosen to stay somewhere else.

We did not make use of any of the room services or restaurants; however I hope that they are certainly not at a level anything like what the other services and facilities have been.

Upon checking out, we also had an unpleasant experience, again having to wait a considerable time before being served (one staff member on duty). The female staff member was again very indifferent and didn’t even care to ask whether we enjoyed our stay.

Being a regular traveller to Sydney and frequent user of top hotels in the Sydney area, we have found that our experience at Stamford Sydney Airport left us feeling dissatisfied and displeased considering the fact that our expectations were not even that high. Simple customer service is not much to ask for as well as properly operating facilities.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cosmicgirl777

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Korean first
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2009

Gorgeous suite and wonderful service, great location, friendly staff, very tasty and good buffet dinner and breakfast. Will recommend and will be back...5 STARS *****

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Adelaide
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2009

I do not know where to begin. We checked in, the room we were given was not the one we had booked. The room description clearly stated airport view. We went back down to the reception where not only was I insulted by the female staff member but the way she spoke to my mother...it was as if she was speaking to a five year old. She told me that the room description was just a request. Apparently if I paid the full rate, it would have been guaranteed. We were then downgraded to a room on level 3. It was daggy and old. Our "room description" stated newly refubished. If they mean 5-10 years ago....maybe. We booked a double room with 3 guests checked in. We stayed 3 nights, I should have booked us out after the first. Each day we had to call reception asking for an extra towel, an extra cup...the amentities weren't even stocked up every day. We werent given access to the pool and gym even though when we booked it said we had complimentary access. Each day we were locked out of our room, we couldn't even use the lifts! Each time we went out for over 3 hours we had to get our cards reactivated. We werent given access to the minibar. The housekeeper didn't give us milk, we bought some...and they left it there to curdle! A nice way to return to the hotel. The Concierge and Reception staff were rude and unhelpful, Room Service was a joke. We could hear people in other rooms having showers and we could hear the slightest sound. I was really upset over the staff's treatment of not only myself but my mother that I've developed a complex. I will never stay in a Stamford Hotel again. I did it for my mum and it truly ruined our holiday and that can never be redone.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the attitude of the staff
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank christymesa
Wollongong, NSW, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2008

We stayed here because it is close to the airport. This is something that I regret.

I booked and paid for a room with an airport view, so keep that in mind while I go on.

It took us 20 minutes to check in because they lost our booking. We got no help with our luggage. We went up to the 7th floor and I opened the room. The first thing that hit me was that the room was already occupied by someone else! Luckily they were not in there but their personal possesions, phones, laptop and everything were out, all for me to take if i was like that! The room didnt even over look the airport!

I hailed down a porter and told them who didnt seem interested and told us to go back down to reception. We were given another room and I asked if it overlooked the airport and the answer I received was yes. Well when we got to the room it didnt, so I was lied to.

I went back down to reception. Waited again and expressed my displeaseure. I said that I booked a room with airport views, the first one i got was someone elses room with no airport view, the second was empty but with no view and was lied to that it did have one! He then said that he will move us to a delux suite.

I then went back to level 7 to get my wife, then to level 12. Opened the room and hey presto, it had a view of the airport. I dont know about delux suite, it was exactly the same as the other two rooms but with an airport view.

The service here is terrible. How can you give out someone elses room!

Even thought its close to the airport i wouldnt stay here again.

• Liked — The View (eventually)
  • Disliked — The very very bad service.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank cba81
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2008

We stayed one night in November so that we could be close to the airport for an early morning flight.

The staff at reception are wonderful. Very helpful, professional and accomodating. The room itself was OK, no major complaints, but a standard hotel room with reasonably good quality fittings. For our purposes for one night it was completely fine.

The food in the hotel is a bit substandard. The menu didn't offer a great variety of choices and it seems the preferred option is the buffet, but if you are pregnant (like myself) then buffets aren't great. The food was overly expensive for what it was and the service at the restaurant was a little below expectation - when travelling with a child and giving a childrens menu it usually helps to advise if any of the listed options are not available PRIOR to leaving the menu. Of course our 3 year old was set on having pizza only to be told that they couldn't do it. This is not a big issue in itself but anyone who knows what it's like to manage the expectations of a tired 3 year old will know what I'm talking about!!

Anyway my only other complaint was that the sheets were so OVERLY starched that they made a huge noise every time we moved in bed. This probably sounds bizarre but I've never come across this before and I spent the whole night trying not to move so that I didn't wake up my husband or daughter!!

We got an excellent deal for the room on Wotif.com so for what we paid it was perfect. The location next to the airport was great and within easy reach for the shuttle bus which took literally a few mintues to get to the airport. The noise from the train and the airport was actually very minimal and our 3 yr old was very entertained by watching the planes landing and taking off.

All in all if you need to stay next the airport this is an excellent option, just don't eat at the hotel and make sure you shop around for the price!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The food
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank chrissyy71
HOUSTON, TEXAS
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2008

OK if your staying overnight to catch a flight. For the price, you get an average room for this class. Front desk is helpful and business like. Fast transport to domestic and international terminals but $5 charge. We stayed in one of their "upgrade" rooms which included breakfast. By 8 am the buffet was cleaned out with several items missing, over 1/2 the tables in the dining room had yet to be bussed and the staff seemed to care less. There was also a charge for using one of their computers which could have been included in the higher "upgrade" room rate.
Overall, it will do fine for just a night but have stayed at much better airport hotels.

• Liked — Airport location
  • Disliked — Sullen staff
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank THEPOW
Canberra
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2008

We stayed here 1 night before heading off O/S. I choose the hotel for its location - the closest to the Domestic Terminal - and cause it looked the nicest place to stay in the area.
The room was your average hotel room - a decent size, reasonable fittings and furniture. Huge marble bathroom. Usual array of toiletries. everything was usual.
the hotel was having a Malaysian Food Festival and the buffet was all themed - so we had that dinner and really enjoyed it.
The one problem with this place - everything is expensive. The room was expensive, the dinner buffet, pay for the internet, and we used the valet parking option and that was $15 - all for your usual business hotel.
The room is mostly insulated from the noise of the airport and surrounding roads and the freight train line - mostly!

• Liked — location closest to the domestic terminal
  • Disliked — the price
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple