“Good value but overheated!”

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Mascot
Melbourne
“Good value but overheated!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stay regularly at the Stamford on business stays when I fly to Sydney and find it to be the best value near the airport. It is possible to walk from the terminal, but there is also a shuttle bus that I use for $6 which departs from the designated bus zone. It is clean and pleasant and the airport noise does not intrude. The higher floor rooms are a little nicer and some have been renovated. The restaurant and bar/bistro are both OK, if a little expensive as are most hotel restaurants. There is a delicious Asian specialty. There is also a little cafe and a convenience shop outside at ground level which can be handy. I have had good experiences with staff and service - once they even found some tinsnips for my suitcase lock when I took the wrong key! Our organisation sometimes has the meetings in the business rooms, which makes for a very efficient trip for me. The only real negative is that I find it very warm without AC, and the AC cannot be set lower than 18 degrees, which for a Melbourne person is a warm night! With no alternative to the very cosy bed cover, I usually wake overheated.

Room Tip: Higher floors seem to be better rooms and I like the airport side to watch the planes!
2 Thank ptilotus
BenNesbitt, Rooms Division Manager at Stamford Plaza Sydney Airport, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thanks for posting a review!

I am so pleased you continue to use our Stamford Hotels & Resorts for your business purposes, and that we provide that convenience for you when travelling to Sydney from Melbourne, at the Stamford Plaza Sydney Airport.

On your next visit, simply ask on of our friendly reservations team to ensure your room is serviced providing alternate sheeting, and that should ensure a smooth night's sleep.

See you again soon,

Stamford Plaza Sydney Airport

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Korean first
Penrith, Australia
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed here over night before traveeling interestate. Lovely quiet rooms which hid the fact that you were in a very busy area. We ended up in a superior room which was large and well appointed. It took 5 mins in a taxi to get to the domestic terminal in the morning which gave us the extra few minutes sleep we neede for the 6.55am flight.

Room Tip: Superior rooms are on the top 2 floors and are very quiet and very comfy
1 Thank ICRC
Thanks for posting a review!

Like you, many of our guests like the close proximity to Sydney Domestic Airport which is only a 2 minute taxi, a 5 minute shuttle, or a 10 minute walk away!

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon,

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We booked a Park and Fly package that included accommodation in a higher floor deluxe room, up to seven days parking and return airport transfers. When we arrived for check in our booking was recorded as a one night accommodation only. Fortunately I had a copy our booking confirmation and the error was corrected (this took about 10 minutes in all). The Front Desk check in person then generously offered us an upgrade to a higher floor deluxe room - yes they were offering exactly what we had booked.
We have stayed at this Hotel before because it is convenient to the airport. The rooms are pleasant, comfortable and have reasonable amenities. Unfortunately they don't provide cotton wool pads and cotton buds which are always useful for us ladies in removing make up or applying facial lotions.
Noise is an issue at this Hotel. It is possible to hear your neighbours turning on a switch. A baby crying many rooms away from ours was heard very clearly. We joked about the tissue paper doors and walls but solid core doors and some sound insulation is very much needed.
All in all the hotel is comfortable but lacks atmosphere and warmth and provides fairly sterile efficiency. If you're a business traveller that may be what you want.
A hint for dinner - bypass the Hotel's restaurant, ring the nearby Graphic Arts Club and arrange for the Courtesy Bus to pick you up and return you to the Stamford. The Graphic Arts restaurant has greatly improved since our last visit.

Room Tip: Try for an Airport view room on the higher floors.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer F
Thanks for posting a review!

We are pleased you took advantage of our '7 Day Park & Fly Package' and enjoyed our sweeping views of Sydney Airport.

See you next time,

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed April 6, 2013

the point of an airport hotel is convenience for travellers. Missed early morning call, reception phone unanswered for a long time (eventually with a hello, no introduction, bordering on rudeness). Rooms a little tired, cafe fairly basic.

Room Tip: All have excellent sound proof. Ask for one with a view to the airport.
1 Thank Lankylee
Thanks for posting a review and providing some Room Tips!

Our regular travellers certainly like the Airport View (it's the best in Sydney!) and our soundproof windows!

See you again on your next visit,

Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Staff very courteous and helpful. Good range buffet breakfast. Room clean and comfortable. Good value hotel close to airport but no noise from aircraft. Recommended for overnight stay before flying out,

Room Tip: Had room on 10th floor facing north.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Barb T
Thanks for posting a review!

"Excellent Hotel, Close to Airport"... short, sharp, succinct and to the point!

Glad you enjoyed your one night with us before flying out- see you again soon!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed April 3, 2013

within a 5 minutes of the train station by foot, I was greeted at the door by the F & B attendant, I was saturated, he offered a towel and hot coffee as the reception desk was hectic with arrivals, he handled my check in whilst I thawed and I was quickly off to my room to get ready for dinner. The room was good and tidy with a generous King! I enjoyed a cold lager at the bar and was seated for dinner. I enjoyed fresh oysters with Cloudy bay sauvignon and followed these with a Lasagne that was excellent. The staff were good and smiled! They just went the extra mile for me and I was impressed. I recommend the Stamford north Ryde and management should be proud, after staying in too many hotels to count over the years this experience was a highlight, not to mention the japanese garden and pools and friendly staff.

Room Tip: I suggest calling ahead with your preference as the staff will do there best to accomadate
2 Thank Jake O
Thanks for posting a review!

But I think you've posted your review to the wrong Stamford Hotel- not to worry!

I have forwarded your review to the team at Stamford Grand North Ryde, and I know the hotel's General Manager, Leon Wood, has shared your glowing review with his team.

We look forward to your next visit, at any one of our eight Stamford Hotels & Resorts around Australia.

See you then,

Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed April 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed for 1 night between a domestic and international flight. We were very disappointed. The staff were not particularly friendly or helpful. The room was pleasant enough, but the restaurant was terrible. We were tired when we arrived in the evening and wanted a quick meal. It took us nearly 3 hours thanks to forgotten orders and slow service. Then we needed to leave early the next morning, but the restaurant wasn't open at the advised time because the staff were still setting up. We ended up being very rushed getting to our flight. Surely a hotel located at the airport needs to cater for travellers who are tired or have a flight to catch??? We won't stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Erkimi
Thanks for posting a review!

I was extremely disappointed to read your review regarding our Grove Restaurant, and have shared your review with the Director of Kitchen and Food & Beverage Operations Manager, Sunny Sia for his review and action. Should you wish to discuss this with Sunny personally, please feel free to call him on his direct line of (02) 9317 1650 or via sunnysia@spsa.stamford.com.au.

I know he shares my disappointment in your review, and we would love the chance to welcome you back to the hotel.