“Comfortable, close and costly”

Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Mascot
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I stayed that the Stamford Plaza as I had an early flight out of Sydney. The hotel is comfortable with a luxury feel especially in the bar and dining areas. It is also very close to Sydney airport, no more than 500 metres to the Qantas terminal and so you would wonder why they charge guests (who are already paying $200+ a room), around $12 for a return fare to the airport. I also was a little unlucky to be there on Valentine's night without my love, and the restaurant was restricted to those who were willing to pay for the Valentine's banquet meal at $80 a head. The bar was offering only stoggy food and there nearest restaurants are some distance 2-3km from the hotel.

I also missed the early morning shuttle thanks to a guest pushing in front of me to pay his shuttle bus fare, as I queued to pay my hotel bill at 5.55am! I had also hoped to catch that same bus, but... thanks to being pushed to second in line, missed the bus (the interloper made it)... not well handled at all by the front of desk staff. Oh well, got my $6 returned but the walk was a little bit of struggle with heavy luggage! The internet is, as always in Australia, obscenely expensive and a little irritating in a luxury hotel.

For convenience this place is great but it is not the best value for money. Stay there if you have an early morning flight and leave at least 15 minutes to check out if you want to avoid a walk!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank 51KarenH
BenNesbitt, Rooms Division Manager at Stamford Plaza Sydney Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Thanks for posting a review!

On your next visit or stopover in Sydney, please book directly through our Stamford Hotels & Resorts website and we will include the internet for you- complimentary!

See you next time,

There are newer reviews for Stamford Plaza Sydney Airport

Reviewed February 14, 2013

We stayed here for one night as we were flying out the next day. The location was very close to the airport and that was a reason why we stayed here. The hotel itself is very nice and the cleanliness is superb. The hotel is in walking distance to local eateries such as a pizza shop. It isn't very close to the shopping centres and things like that but that didn't matter to us as we were here for the night. All in all a nice hotel and we will be back. It is definitely worth the price. The service was wonderful.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dwdwdw_90

Thanks for posting a review!

We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and many thanks for the kind review of the hotel. I have shared your positive comments surrounding 'hotel cleanliness' with our Executive Housekeeper Suzana Nedic to share with her team.

Many thanks, and see you on your next visit,

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Fantastic room, service excellent and great food down below the hotel (can't remember the name of the restaurant). Rooms very well appointed, would highly recommend if you need a stopover near the airport.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BooandGinger

Thanks for posting a review!

We are so glad you enjoyed your 'stopover' with us! See you on your next visit,

Reviewed February 9, 2013

I wanted to be close to the international airport before my flight next morning and wanted a pool. This hotel was just right. Excellent room with a view towards the city and overlooking the second floor pool. Had a great lunch in the hotel's AV8 Bar, attached to the main building. Couple of wines and relaxed watching a bit of cricket in a nice atmosphere. Room was spacious, really clean and with easy (but 55c per minute) internet access. Good value.

Room Tip: I think they will all be good, but overlooking the pool was good.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank MervRobertson

Thanks for posting such a positive review!

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and we look forward to looking after you on your next visit 'across the ditch' to Australia.

See you then,

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Recently stay over New Year period. Location great for access to airports but generally service of poor standard. Had the seafood dinner meal and service was so poor had to get my own water and ask multiple times for my drink order. and as the meal is self service that's all the staff had to do. Completed a customers feedback form but didn't hear back for some weeks later and then just letter saying will look in to this. Amazed they even bothered by that time. Guess that's why the service is so slow, it's from the top down.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Ziggy R

Thanks for posting a review!

I have shared your review with Toby Glover, our Food & Beverage Manager for his review, I know he shares my disappointment in your poor experience in our Grove Restaurant.

Please feel free to contact him directly on (02) 9317 1525, or provide a contact number, and I know he will be more than happy to discuss your experience in the Grove.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future,

Kind Regards,

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Stayed at the Stamford Plaza one night last year, and then one night recently on my way through from an overseas trip.
It is perfect for just the one night when passing through Sydney. It is soo close to the airport, literally less than 5 minutes.
We found the shuttle bus at the airport which drops you at the hotel, for $6 per person, it is pretty good. We didn't have to wait long at all for the shuttle to leave.
Heading back to the airport in the morning the desk staff recommended just taking a taxi as they will pick you up on their way through to the airport. That was even cheaper than the bus. Best thing is you are so close to the airport you dont need to worry about the traffic or missing your flight :)
I would have given the hotel 5 stars however I did notice a difference between the quality of products and food since our second trip. The toiletries seemed to have changed, and the room service menu, which is what I was most disappointed about. The menu is still huge for room service, however some of the delicious things have gone.

I will definitely stay here again when flying through Sydney.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sparklysuz

Thanks for posting a review!

I am pleased you had so many complimentary comments surrounding our hotel, our product offering and our team's service levels... we are of course, striving for that 5 Star Trip Advisor Rating.

I have shared your comments surrounding the Room Service Menu options with our Food & Beverage Manager, Toby Glover for his review.

We look forward to seeing you the next time you are flying out from Sydney,

See you then,

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Location (next to airport) is the best thing about this hotel (2 mins in cab - 8-10 mins walking). Not that its a bad hotel at all.
Very close to airport and better to stay here and fly out early than stay in city and allow an extra 30 in the morning
Efficient though not necessarily friendly front desk staff.
Room cleaner and fresher than 18 months ago.
Bed very comfortable.
Bathroom very clean.
Work desk a little small for any useful work.
This is a stopover style hotel - and a very good one too.

Room Tip: One side faces the airport and the other looks north - the northside is quieter though with on the a...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank AuTravelots

Thanks for posting a review!

I am glad we have improved since your last visit to the hotel, and pleased you've referred to us as a 'very good stopover hotel'... we are, always, trying to improve our levels of service, and our consistency of delivery, and I will share your review with our Front Office Team for their reflection.

Kind Regards,