When I booked this hotel for the stay and fly option (through the Qantas booking engine), I specifically requested a room over looking the airport/runways. I was quite disappointed when I checked in on 30 December 2012 and had a city view room. I spoke to reception, and the man at the desk advised I could move, however would be on a lower floor. I accepted this, and whilst the view was ok, I know other hotel airports have better views if this is what you are after. I also found the second room (#616) was not as nice as the first, lacking some niceties such as a lounge. There was also no compendium in the room, meaning I did not know of the pool or spa, or any other services available. The bed was very comfortable though!
There were also several staff sitting in the reception area casually discussing their lives. Whilst I am all for making work more bearable, it doesn't give a very professional image. Meanwhile to customers, the vibe was quite distant and bordering on cold.
I did find the room to be exceptionally quiet, with just the slightest noise when a plane flew directly over the hotel. I actually noticed more noise from the train line under the window! There was some in-hotel noise, with other doors clicking, but this didn't particularly bother me.
The room service was quite expensive, with most meals (burgers, pasta, salads, etc) around the $25-$27 mark, with steaks on the mid to high $30s. Desserts were mostly $17, with the cheese platter being more expensive. The mini-bar was expensive to the point of daylight robbery, with a can of coke $5 and a 50g chocolate also $5.
I pre-ordered my room service, with almost 2 hours notice. Despite this, it still turned up about 15 minutes after my requested time. There is also a smart phone app to order meals etc, however I could not get it to work (despite having quite reasonable technological skills).
The bathroom was nice enough at first glance, though there was some grime/mould buildup in the corners of the shower. There was also rust on the plug pull-ring. To the hotel, I'd highly recommend you change the towel rail on the end of the shower to a certified grab rail (as on the long wall)- due to the positioning it is tempting to use it to assist you out of the shower and no doubt someone will fall. I also found I had water all over the floor due to the design of the swing-screen. The water pressure was dreadful and the temperature fluctuated a little- not enough to worry me but enough to be of concern if I were travelling with a child.
I was also surprised, given the high rating of the hotel, that it did not include pleasantries such as robes. I can only assume these would have been present in the deluxe rooms. I was also quite taken aback there were no complimentary biscuits with the coffee making facilities as this is something I've come to expect of all hotels, regardless of price point. It also amazes me that hotels continue to charge for wifi- if hostels charging the bare minimum can provide free wifi, why can't a stay setting me back $xxx do the same?!
Look, at the end of the day, it was ok. I did not feel, however, that my expectations were met, particularly for the price paid. I am actually quite disappointed I have a non-refundable stay booked in March, otherwise I would be staying elsewhere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sydney's Best Airport Hotel as awarded for seven consecutive years by Skytrax. Stamford Plaza Sydney Airport Hotel is your best luxury accommodation in Sydney. Located directly opposite the Domestic Terminal and minutes from the International terminal. It's the ideal business base for you to meet or discover all that Sydney has to offer - just 20 minutes drive from the Central Business District, Sydney Harbour Bridge, Sydney Opera House and the Royal Botanic Gardens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Stamford Plaza Sydney Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Stamford Plaza Sydney Airport Hotel Mascot
- Stamford Plaza Hotel Sydney