“Great Location.....Disappointing Service”

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Mascot
Brisbane, Australia
“Great Location.....Disappointing Service”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Person on check in was great, but when we got to the room....no soap, a small thing but first impressions count! Ordered room service and the fruit platters were a big disappointment....if we were from overseas I would be expecting more of a variety and far better quality. No taste and two grapes. When asked at check out how my stay was I said average....the guy on check out must only be trained to deal with excellent, as he didn't ask for details, and just said he would pass it on......I doubt it.
Great location but would not make a good impression on overseas visitors, and those of us from interstate.

Room Tip: If location is not an issue......look elsewhere.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Queenslander902
BenNesbitt, Rooms Division Manager at Stamford Plaza Sydney Airport, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thanks for posting a review!

I have shared your review with our Food & Beverage Leadership Team and Area Executive Chef, Sunny Sia along with our Front Office Manager, Manjil Dhungana for their review and action accordingly.

I was pleased the Check In was great, but we are about consistency at this hotel, and that needs to flow all the way through until Check Out, so we will certainly spend some time assessing what we need to do better in this area.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future,

Stamford Plaza Sydney Airport

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Korean first
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Late night flight into Sydney, unable to make a connection, so hotel needed. Of those at the airport, the Stamford is a good -- possibly the best -- option. Good sized rooms, although the bathrooms are starting to look a little tired.

If flying from the domestic terminals, be aware a taxi fare is probably cheaper than using the hotel shuttle.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for posting a review, and we are so glad we could accommodate you, however briefly, before you flew back home to Canberra after missing your connecting flight.

We appreciate the review, particularly from a Senior Contributor with over 40 reviews!

See you again on your next visit to Sydney,

Sydney
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I had to stay in Sydney overnight before catching an early morning flight.
Despite the hotel looking tired and dated the check in was quick and friendly, the room and bed were comfortable, the room service quick and the transfer to the airport timely (albit with a cranky driver)
This is a good travel choice

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thanks for posting a review!

"Quick & Friendly Check In, Room & Bed Comfortable, Room Service Quick, and a Good Travel Choice"...

We can't ask for much more then that! We are glad you enjoyed your stay, see you next time,

Vic
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I have stayed with Rydges all over Australia, nothing but glowing recommendations but.........
Unfortunately this place made me feel I had "time warped" to a different dimension.
Great location if your a transient looking to get away on early flight, (International & Domestic)
Arrived 10.00am, 29th September after "booking & confirming" early check in only to be told room was not yet vailable. They have a communal room available for you to shower and rest with Tea & Coffee making facilities, including TV; while your room is made up. But after being told seven times our room would be ready in half an hour (just waiting on Linen) We gave up and decided to sit in bar watching very poor reception of AFL Grand final. Eventually accessed room around 5.30pm (over 7hrs later). Room was pleasant but no view to speak of. Keycard constantly failed to work and we made at least 12 trips back & forward from reception the first day of stay. Dined in Restaurant Sat night (service atrocious) we watched as more than half the patrons complained to a rather apologetic Maitre D about food being cold and left in disgust.
We got our first look at waitress 35min after being seated. The food when it finally arrived was rather average and not very hot. Can't believe I left 10% tip. Following evening dined in bar with pretty much same results, service simply non existent. Gave up and cabbed it into city for sanity and food. Would not recommend dining facilities in any way. 5 more trips before keycard would work and whilst the reception staff were extremely professional in understanding my frustrations they could not fix problem.
All in all not one of the best experiences we have endured.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for posting a review!

It absolutely seems that we dropped the ball on this occasion, and unfortunately we did experience some significant operational issues on the weekend of the AFL/NRL Grand Finals.

We have however, put appropriate measures in place following the events of this weekend, and I have shared your review with the entire Management Team at the hotel for our review and learning.

I encourage you to give us another go, and should you ever need accommodation around Sydney Airport, please contact me directly on benjaminnesbitt@spsa.stamford.com.au and I will ensure we look after your stay with us.

I hope to hear from you,

Perth, Australia
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We arrived after 9 pm from Perth and had to leave Cessnock for the next day via rental car. This hotel is super convenient to the domestic airport, and we were able to get a package that included parking. Be warned -- the car park is a real maze and very awkward to navigate. I've also never come across a car park where they double up the bays! The HUGE rock pillars are a dent waiting to happen for anyone who isn't careful.

The room was lovely (we were on the 12th [top] floor, supposedly a 'deluxe suite' upgrade -- maybe it was a deluxe room, but NOT a suite, and to be honest, it just looked like an ordinary room to me). The shower was good and hot, though -- just what you need after a longish flight. However, the water pressure in the shower was a bit lacking.

The bed was very comfy and there was a choice of two pillow types on the king-size bed.

TV choices were lacking -- the room had all the free to air channels, of course, but only a few cable channels and their picture quality was appalling. A lot of Asian channels, so I suspect they were getting a satellite feed from an Asian satellite as versus the local Foxtel.

I didn't ask about internet access, but I suspect it wasn't free. We didn't use any of the restaurant or bar facilities, so I can't comment on those.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for posting a review!

We are glad you enjoyed our new beds and pillows that we have just had installed as part of the hotels multi-million dollar refurbishment, and we are pleased you enjoyed the convenient location of the hotel as part of your Park & Fly Package.

We look forward to welcoming you back again sometime soon on your next visit from Perth,

See you then,

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stayed here in October 2012 for one night on business as an alternative to returning home to Outer Western Sydney from meetings in the City, only to return the next morning for an early morning business flight.

Some of the furniture in the rooms was a little worn (eg. timber on the desk was loose and could rip clothing), though the important things like the bed (comfortable) and bathroom (clean and functional) were still good. The room was clean and smelt clean - always a good sign.

Being located across the road from the Sydney Airport Domestic Terminals is a huge bonus. It is a 10 minute walk to the terminals. If you had too much luggage, or had young children with you, you could catch a cab to the airport. I'm not a light sleeper, but not a heavy one either. So, the fact you can barely hear the planes when you are inside your room is good. My room overlooked the train line and, again, the noise insulation in the rooms was so good that it wasn't a problem.

The other bonus is the ability to park your car in the underground car park for $20. I parked from 5.30pm one evening until 7.00pm the following evening. Parking at the airport right near the terminals is $56 per day, so I would have ended up paying $112 for parking (it seems you pay for a whole second day, even if you don't park for a full day). Take that off the cost of the room and it makes the night's accommodation very reasonable.

Dinner was a club sandwich in the bar. The food was good and the prices are what you would expect from an international hotel. $9 for a glass of Sauvignon Blanc, however, was a bit steep. I paid for the breakfast buffet option with the accommodation. It is the usual, standard fare - lots of choice and all fresh.

I'd stay here again. And, I'd also consider it an option if I had an early weekday morning international flight and I wanted to make sure I was in close proximity to the airport rather than chance getting stuck in the (inevitable) Sydney traffic on the M4 or M5.

Room Tip: Pay for your parking on checkout and prior to your early morning flight out. Then, when you return f...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thanks for posting a review!

I think we all feel the same way about the 'Sydney Traffic' you mention!

Thanks so much for posting such a positive review about the Stamford Plaza Sydney Airport, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel before your next flight out of Sydney,

See you again soon,

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We've stayed here a couple of times now because the last flight out on a Sunday to Adelaide leaves too early.
It's a fantastic hotel. Always polite staff and always a comfortable nights sleep. It is surprisingly quiet at night time given it's position.
Room service is good & has a good selection.
The only down side is the hotel becomes quite noisy very early in the morning with people getting up to catch the first flights out. No fault of the hotel though.
Parking can be a bit of a nightmare and you do have to pay for it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Thanks for posting a review!

We are so pleased you've become a return guest at our hotel! And we look forward to providing the same great service on your next trip to Adelaide,

See you then,