I went in with an open mind given some other negative reviews about this hotel, and looked forward to a 5 star experience. I'm sure this hotel was once 5 star, but it is not anymore.
We booked a Wotif deal which had an upgrade to a deluxe room. I emailed ahead as deluxe rooms only seemed to have one king bed and deluxe rooms also include a free full breakfast according to the website. The staff member said that we could have an additional rollaway bed for $30 to which I replied no, that we would share the king. She also said there was only one free full breakfast per room and a second person would have to pay extra.
When we arrived the man at reception said we had a superior room as it had two beds. I said no, I asked for a deluxe room that we would share and this was then arranged. I then asked about the complimentary breakfast to which he said the upgrade is to a deluxe room but does not include this! I pulled out my email from his colleague and he agreed to one free breakfast.
Deluxe rooms are also supposed to have complimentary bottled water and fruit on each floor. There were empty bowls by the lifts and no fruit in sight. There was also no bottled water apart from what was in the mini bar. There is an ice machine on each floor and an ice bucket in room. Our room also only had one robe. The compendium in room was missing pages and on the index had page numbers crossed out and rewritten. The drawers in our room were broken as was the hairdryer in the bathroom. The view from the room was great, as was the digital aircon, do not disturb and make up room controls. The room was clean and we liked the nice big bed and the armchair and footrest. Other reviews are right in that there is no airport noise whatsoever. We never heard a plane once!
In terms of room service the food was expensive. We walked down Robey Street to some shops in Mascot and found some great eateries, liquor stores and cafes (we recommend Thai Mascot, cheap and yummy!). We got an in room movie but found that there were no prices on the system for the movies. Luckily it was only $14.95 on checkout.
We had buffet breakfast in The Grove restaurant. This is very average! We would have much rather eaten at the airport! The scrambled eggs were in chunks, the tomatoes were tough, the pancake machine didn't work! However the continental breakfast was GREAT! Lots of muffins, pastries, fruit, toast, etc.
The concierge are great. Prompt with opening doors and taking bags for you, as well as organising taxis. Taxis seem to wait right outside. We caught a taxi to the international airport for $11.80, so if there are two of you this is a bit cheaper and more convenient than catching the hotel's shuttle.
Overall this stay was ok, but when you are paying for 5 star, you expect 5 star! We will not return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sydney's Best Airport Hotel as awarded for seven consecutive years by Skytrax. Stamford Plaza Sydney Airport Hotel is your best luxury accommodation in Sydney. Located directly opposite the Domestic Terminal and minutes from the International terminal. It's the ideal business base for you to meet or discover all that Sydney has to offer - just 20 minutes drive from the Central Business District, Sydney Harbour Bridge, Sydney Opera House and the Royal Botanic Gardens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Agoda, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Stamford Plaza Sydney Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Stamford Plaza Sydney Airport Hotel Mascot
- Stamford Plaza Hotel Sydney