“NEEDS UPDATING”

Stamford Plaza Sydney Airport
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Mascot
Reviewed November 18, 2011

Stayed here for one night, rooms are very average. The main enticement was a free bottle of wine and breakfast included, which was far better than the other hotels in the area had to offer. The hotel needs a refurbishment, other than that it was comfortable enough for one night.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
SydAiportManager, Manager at Stamford Plaza Sydney Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2011

Dear RockyBubbles,

Thank you for taking the time to write of your experience at our hotel.

The hotel is currently involved in several exciting projects that aim to improving our facilities and exceed our guests expectations.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.

Reviewed November 18, 2011

Yes it's an airport hotel but it has big clean tidy rooms and it just feels very comfortable. Homely almost, which is weird... The service is great. The views of the airport are great, without the aircraft noise. Where else can you stay and watch a 787 approach over your bed in silence.

The bar is average, although AV8 (tacky) is cool,  the omelets are unreliable and the credit card fee plus internet suck but I still really like staying here... Some hotels have that ability to feel like a home when obviously they are not and this is one of the good ones. Puts London and Auckland to shame to name two...

That said, drop the credit card fee because that's just stupid and annoys everyone plus why not provide free Wi-Fi in the bars? It's free most places now.

Eat/drink at the Newnarket Hotel which is nearby and has way better food.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank StillPhone

Dear Stillphone,

I was pleased that you found the hotel service to be great and the rooms to be quiet – our 8mm double glazed windows make our guests forget they are staying next door to Australia’s busiest airport.

Thank you for your feedback in relation to the internet and the omelettes. We have recently have employed a new Area Chef "Sunny Sia" who is working his magic on our Menus.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our Hotel in the future.

Reviewed November 7, 2011

Stayed with my friend the night before a big international flight, the room was tidy and very quiet and the staff were friendly. The shuttle bus to the airport was super handy. Bit expensive for what you get though...

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mollzar
SydAiportManager, Manager at Stamford Plaza Sydney Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2011

Dear Mollzar,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to share your opinion on Stamford Plaza Sydney Airport.

It has been a pleasure reading your positive comments and experiences whiles staying with us.

We hope we have the chance to become yet another point of convenience for you on your next international adventure.

Reviewed November 6, 2011

The Stamford is easy walking distance from the Domestic Terminal (less than 10 minutes) which is fine for average fitness people and/or those who have limited luggage. Taxi drivers will not thank you for their queuing for a fare for an hour to get a $5 fare to the Stamford! Check-in was at 2245 and was swift although by this time there was not much in catering options left available. The room was a typical hotel room - sizes are worked out scientifically so they are generally about 33-35m2 including the bathroom. Minibar prices were on the expensive side and telephone calls from their 'phone were extravagantly dear - a 10 minute call to the UK can cost you half the price of a room. However, the Stamford does provide a clear statement of charges so you are forewarned, which is more than some other hotels do. Breakfast seems to be averaging at close to $40 a head these days at many business hotels. If you are an airline lounge member, save your company the cost and get a free breakfast at the lounge or buy it in the food hall. Check-out had a queue of 20 people at two desks at 0700 and it was taking a very long-time to get a client checked-out - perhaps the clients were stunned over the other charges. If the company is paying, fine, otherwise use a budget hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Matelot2000

Dear Matelot2000,

Thank you for taking the time to share and express your opinions on your stay at the Stamford Plaza Sydney Airport.

We are blessed with our location and proximity to the airport and we are pleased that we are able to offer convenience and commuting ease to yourself and our guests.

It is disheartening to read that our buffet breakfast did not meet your expectations, and such a concern has sparked the improvement of our buffet breakfast. I wish to take this opportunity to assure you that we have recently revised the price of our buffet breakfast to make it more affordable and attractive to our guests, not only focusing on price, we have had a menu change with the introduction of Stamford Hotels and Resorts new Area Chef Sunny Sai to our hotel.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel and share our new Buffet breakfast with you.

Reviewed November 5, 2011

This is a great hotel located right next to Sydney domestic terminal.We had one night stopover before our connection after a long international flight. Front desk staff were very nice and super polite. Our room was very clean and had two double beds.It is a little dated but it was a stopover so i am not really fussed. The room was amazingly quiet. we faced the airport with a train line right outside our window and we couldn't hear a thing at all. Even in the morning i was amazed to pull back the blackout curtains and see it was morning and traffic everywhere and we couldn't hear a thing. Very soundproof.
Breakfast buffett was included and was good-all the usual. A shuttle took us to the airport in the morning for $6 a person.
We were very impressed with the service that evening from the nearby AV8 bar. we had ducked in there to get a meal at around 8:30 pm and ordered two Medium steaks. unfortunately the kitchen must have been in a hurry to get home because they came out rare-borderline blue. I usually have no issue with even eating medium rare but this was beyond that. Add to the fact we were exhausted and surrounded by a bunch of loud drunks we decided to get a refund for the meal and head up to our room. The server was amazing and so apologetic. If we weren't so tired we would have been happy for him to cook then a bit more but we had to lie down. So he not only refunded us but ensured the room service we ordered, we were given a discount for their inconvenience. Not something they needed to do but its the little things like that, that can make a place shine. Would stay here again

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank natski81

Dear natski81,

Thank you kindly for taking the time and sharing your experiences whilst staying with Stamford Plaza Sydney Airport.

It has been a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our motto of exceptional service is serving us well.

Thank you kindly for your understanding and comments regarding your meal at AV8 Bar. Travelling certainly takes it out of you and I hope you enjoyed your quite night in with your Room Service.

I will pass on your positive comments about the our staff to the team .

I hope we have to chance to welcome you back to the hotel and introduce you to our new menu.

Reviewed November 2, 2011

It's hard not to come across as cynical based on this review.
The Stamford Plaza Sydney Airport is a typically grim airport hotel.
Perhaps it had a genuine five star feel during the Sydney Olympics in 2000, but now it's a transit hotel.

ROOMS
This is a five star hotel; the rooms feel like any airport hotel. For context, the Brisbane Stamford Plaza feels much better.

FACILITIES
The restaurant used for breakfast is grubby. The seat coverings are caked in grease and need instant replacement of upholstery.
Breakfast was poorly managed by the kitchen with little attention to detail or the guests. Porridge was watery and inedible. Service quality was poor.
Dining area was dark and dingy. Coffee was either black or black. Not a coffee machine of barista quality in sight.
The dining area was opressively dark, I couldn't wait to leave.

WOULD I RETURN?
I would only return to this hotel due to the location and convenience for getting to Sydney airport.
Cost versus quality is prohibitive.
Mr Ong and Mr Foo could do with giving this hotel some botox of the good hotel variety,

Room Tip: I stayed on the 11th floor.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank talktwojohn

Dear talktwojohn,

Thank you for taking the time to write of your experience at our hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies as I read about your experience at the Hotel.

Stamford Plaza Sydney Airport is a hotel that lives by the motto of exceptional service and it is my sincerest apologies that our facilities during your stay have not fared to our service qualities and standards.

The hotel is currently involved in several exciting projects that aim to improve our facilities and exceed our guests expectations. To provide a little bit of a sneak peak to these exciting projects happening within the hotel; we have recently introduced Area Chef Sunny Sai to the property bringing with him years of international experience and a brand new menu to our A la Carte dining and our buffets. With many more large exciting projects to further improve our product we hope to have the opportunity to share these new improvements with yourself.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to our Hotel under better circumstances.

Reviewed November 1, 2011

Let me say first off that I have stayed at this hotel on many occasions, sometimes for over a week at a time. We are plane geeks and this hotel used to have the best airport view combined with excellent customer service and reasonable pricing.

A friend of mine was flying in from the USA a few hours ahead of the time we could be in Sydney due to work and living on the South Coast. For several reasons, I wanted the payment for the room and any hold on a credit/debit card to be placed on *my* account. I emailed the hotel in advance to check the procedure for this and was told I needed to fill in a form and scan both sides of my credit card and send it back to them, which I did. I was told notes would be placed on the system.

When my friend arrived at the hotel, nobody there knew anything about the form I had filled in, and they demanded to swipe my friends credit card. They placed a $650 hold on the account! $450 for the accommodation (which I was more than happy to pay) and $200 for incidentals (highly excessive, in my opinion). Due to his credit card being from the US, there were also going to be a bunch of fees and charges and currency differences, so in total the hold placed on his account was nearly $700.

This was exactly what I wanted to avoid, and what I went to so much trouble to sort out in advance. Especially after reading reviews here re the holds they put on accounts.

When I arrived at the hotel and discussed it with the duty manager, a verbal apology was all that I was offered. That really didn't do a lot for me. Even worse, I had to explain what had happened several times because it did not seem like the person was listening to me or understanding what I was trying to say, especially about the extra fees and charges.

They were unable to reverse the hold on my friends account as it was a weekend (I had also foreseen that being a problem, which again was why I tried to fix it in advance) and told my friend that in order to have it reversed on Monday they would need a fax number for his bank and all his bank details. Unfortunately Monday here is still Sunday in the US, so faxing the bank would do no good whatsoever.

It also seemed like reservations and the hotel itself do not communicate as the room was set up for one person and three of us were staying in it. The booking confirmation I have clearly states 3 people.

Sadly, this hotel is looking extremely tired. There was paint peeling from the cornices, there were chips of paint and chips of marble missing in the bathroom. My favourite plane spotting chair was not present in the room at all.

There was some unknown white mystery substance dripped all over the bedhead and wall. I won't say what I suspected it might be, but it was bad enough and made me uncomfortable enough that I cleaned it off myself.

Lucky for us we were only using the room as a base for somewhere to sleep and plane watch in between day trips. But we could have made a base for ourselves across the road at Formule 1 and as long as we brought our own pillows and a floor mat for the bathroom (see my review of that hotel for an explanation of that!) we would have saved ourselves a bunch of money.

On top of all that they wanted to charge us $20 a night for carparking. Carparking used to be included at the regular room rate, which was what we were paying.

On check out I paid for the room with my credit card, as planned. The total was $456 ($6 for the one way shuttle bus my friend took from the airport).

When I complained once again to the completely different duty manager re the hold placed on the account and my friend was giving him the bank details, I requested that the car parking not be charged to us. Note, it was not *offered* to me, I had to ask. The duty manager did agree to not charge us for the carparking. Given the inconvenience for my friend who was unable to access a large amount of his funds for several days (two days later the funds still are being held as I write this), I would have thought they would offer to remove the $6 shuttle bus fee as well, but they did not.

I have to say I am truly disappointed that a hotel which has always been so reliable customer service wise and facility wise has allowed themselves to go downhill at such a fast rate of knots. It was always my first go to hotel when I needed to stay near the airport but now I will have to look elsewhere.

The view is still first class. That is something the hotel has no control over whatsoever, though! :) And the things they can control they are epically failing at.

Room Tip: Ask for the airport view.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank MixedNut999
SydAiportManager, Manager at Stamford Plaza Sydney Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2011

Dear beedoo747,

Dear

While we aim to present exceptional service to each individual guest, the incident that occurred during your stay is not one that is representative of the high standard that we have set.

I can ensure you that this is an isolated experience and as you have said ” best airport view combined with excellent customer service and reasonable pricing” from your previous stays.

Please be assured that I have spoken to all employees and we are reviewing our procedures to avoid this situation in future.

I hope we would have the opportunity to welcome you back to our Hotel under better circumstances and I would be happy to personally look after your books in the future.