“Met expectations for an airport hotel”

Holiday Inn Sydney Airport
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Mascot
GreenLeadersSilver level
Australia
“Met expectations for an airport hotel”
Reviewed April 26, 2010

We overnighted at this hotel after arriving late evening. We had arranged a very good rate so it worked out to be great value. We walked here from the airport (approx 10-15 min walk) so didn't have to worry about queuing for taxis or waiting for the shuttle bus. It was easy enough to walk along the footpath once we had sorted out where we were. The hotel and the room were bright and clean with all the facilities you would expect. Our room appeared to have been recently renovated although I think the bed was a double (unexpected but no big deal). It is very quiet considering the location. The bathroom has a good layout and the shower was clean and relaxing. The room wasn't huge but it was ample with a desk, chair, flat screen tv and wardrobe. No extras were included (eg very basic toiletries, no bathrobes) but none were expected so this wasn't a let down. There was a short wait at check out while some people disputed the bill - there were other staff milling around so it was a bit frustrating waiting while they did other things. Overall - I'd recommend it.

2 Thank NW28

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Indonesian first
New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed April 23, 2010

I booked this hotel as a secret hotel with Wotif. Every time I have used Wotif, the check in staff acknowledge my special requests, but not this time. We like to stay on as high a floor as possible and requested this. The reception proceeded to check us into a room on the 1st floor. We had just flown for 22 hours and couldn't be bothered objecting.
The room itself (number 122) was small and uninspiring, but clean. We noticed that there was a plastic bag tied tightly over the smoke detector - probably from a previous guest who wanted to smoke undetected in the room. A bit of a safety issue, we thought, but, being tired, just wanted to collapse into bed and get a good night's sleep.
When we pulled back the doona, we found that there was no top sheet - just the bottom sheet and the doona. A European custom, I would have thought, not an Australian one. We absolutely hate having no top sheet, but managed to sleep reasonaby well as the bed itself was comfortable. We appreciated the pillow menu.
On check out, we informed the counter staff of the plastic bag and lack of a top sheet and stated that we probably wouldn't choose to stay there again. Staff were most polite and told us they thought there should have been two sheets as well as the doona.
We found both the Mercure (some rooms with opening windows) and the Stamford (total comfort) to be better choices for a Sydney airport hotel.

1 Thank Oga1
NT
Reviewed April 21, 2010

I was a bit concerned that I would be unhappy with my selection to stay here, but I was so pleased with my stay that I promised myself I would review as soon as I completed my trip.

I had a forced overnight at SYD airport due to flight connections to the US from my hometown in Australia. I booked a room on WOTIF for a great rate (hint 1 of the mystery airport hotels was this one)

The check-in went smoothly, but I had a wait a while as I arrived just after a shuttle full of people checking in and there was only 1 person on the desk. After about 5 minutes. 2 more people came out to help and it went much faster.

My baggage was delayed and the front desk clerk kindly sent up a bathrobe for me to sleep in and the sign in the bathroom said that they would have provided tooth brush/paste, razors, etc... if I had needed those as well. Dinner in the bar was quick and good, My luggage was sent up once it had arrived. The buffet breakfast was well presented and a good value.

The rooms seemed to be recently renovated. The only downside being the ugly 1970's side tables next to the bed and a small rust ring around the tub. Really those are minor complaints and I was struggling to find any faults. The bathroom was sparkling clean and white and the amenities were nice. I had a great sleep, (pillow menu is a nice touch) and there was a nice view of the airport.

The location is perfect if you need to catch a flight but probably not a god choice for taking in Sydney sights.

I checked in and printed out boarding pass from the biz center. The front desk also transferred a call to QANTAS baggage services from the lobby for me.

Thank you for my pleasant stay!

Tip: was to ride the cab from domestic terminal (cost me 9$ and no need to mess around with the shuttle) but reserve a seat on the shuttle to the International terminal for 6$.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
5 Thank NewtoAustralia
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 19, 2010

This hotel was the only affordable option I could find that had rooms available on New Year's Eve. Since I was coming straight from the airport I figured it would be convenient, and I had made sure that I could get downtown easily on public transportation. As it turned out, the Mascot rail station is only a few short blocks from the hotel, and from there only a brief ride to central Sydney. The trains ran most of the night on New Year's Eve and were full of people, so the ride back was easy and safe. While the surrounded neighborhood is bland (mostly full of nondescript modern office buildings), the hotel is comfortable. The buffet breakfast in the hotel restaurant was delicious. And best of all, when I arrived, exhausted, from my overseas flight at 8 am, well before check-in, the friendly receptionist found me a room! Smiling, she said, "Welcome to Sydney!"

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank knickertraveler711
Sydney
Reviewed April 18, 2010

We stayed here the night before an early flight. The hotel is 200 metres up a slight hill from Mascot train station. A taxi to the international terminal was $15.

Check in was simple, friendly and efficient. The room was clean and well equipped. We had a good view of the airport. The bed was very comfortable with lots of pillows. We both slept well.

Check out was a mirror of check in. This hotel is a good example of what Holiday Inn does well. We will be back.

1 Thank Wolin
Hawaii
Reviewed March 30, 2010

The hotel was ok but nothing more. Although they call it an airport hotel, it takes a while to get between hotel and airport. The web site says "a nominal fee applies" to the hotel shuttle. In fact, for two people, the shuttle was more expensive than a taxi. When we checked out and asked if there was a taxi at the front of the hotel, the man asked why we didn't take the free shuttle. When I said I was told there was not a free shuttle (I had called before we left on our trip), he seemed surprised.
The hotel is ordinary and not convenenient to anything.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
HISydneyAirport, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sydney Airport, responded to this review, April 21, 2010
Dear bombaymeister

Thank you for sharing your feedback. The Airport Shuttle service is at a charge of $6 per person and services the entire airport precinct. In regards to convenience of the hotel, I apologise you were not informed the hotel is located only 200 meters from the train station which will take you to the heart of Sydney within 10 minutes.

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback it is through opportunities like these we can continually review and improve our services. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Sandra Kloprogge
Derby
Reviewed March 18, 2010

Booked in advance so got quite a good deal. Had booked a family room. When we got there given room key to find room had one double bed, when explained to reception they explained they had run out of family rooms & quickly upgraded our room to a king sized executive room & helped move all the luggage. Can't complain at that.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank time0ff
Dear timeOff

Thank you for feedback and choosing to stay with us at the Holiday Inn Sydney Airport. We pride ourselves on our customer service and I am happy that we were able to rectify your situation to your satisfaction.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Sydney Airport in the near future

Sandra Kloprogge