“Great location”

Holiday Inn Sydney Airport
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Mascot
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 1, 2008

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Sydney Airport one night prior to returning to Canada. This hotel is very convenient to the airport. It's comfortable and has a first class, reasonably priced shuttle service to the international terminal. Highly recommended for anyone needing accommodation near the airport.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank smrlb66
Write a ReviewReviews (1,318)

Reviewed December 27, 2007

I didn't actually stay at the hotel as they had overbooked but I was not happy with how they resolved the problem......

I had phoned the day before and booked the room and at the time told them that I would be checking in late (my flight was arriving at the airport at 10:30pm). At the time of booking I also asked would it be possible to get something to eat and was informed that the restaurant would be closed but I could get room service.

On arrival at the airport I phoned the hotel to check the arrival time of the free shuttle from the terminal to the hotel and they took my name and details.

When the shuttle pulled up at the hotel the duty manager was waiting outside and basically pushed us into a taxi which he had waiting whilst he was explaining that they had overbooked and didn't have a room available but he had booked us into a 4 star in the city and would pay for our taxi there and back to the airport the next morning (as we had an early morning flight the following day).

I wouldn't get into the taxi until I had spoken to him properly and he seemed very anxious to get rid of us as quickly as possible. I asked him details of where we were staying, did he know it, how far away it was and did they have room service (as per my booking the day before this was something I specifically wanted). I was assured it was a lovely place and yes they did do room service.

On arrival at our new destination I discovered it was a block of serviced appartments with no restaurant, room service or even anywhere to get a drink of water. I also don't think it was 4 star as the room was in a poor condition and the bathroom was dirty.

I called the duty manager to inform him that I was not happy but at this stage it was almost midnight so I just gave up and went to sleep, thirsty and hungry!!

I have never been able to get a satisfactory answer as to why when I had only made the booking the day before they overbooked and why when they had both my email address and mobile telephone number they did not contact me when they realised the problem.

I am also not happy that the duty manager either lied to me or did not know what he was talking about.

Obviously I can't comment on the hotel itself as I didn't even set foot inside the door but be aware if soemthing goes wrong you might not be happy with how they deal with it!!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank User_Central_London
Reviewed December 20, 2007

I used to stay at this hotel before it was renamed Holiday Inn - same hotel, same staff - different name is all. The difference was a doubling in their rates. This is NOT a $200 a night property.
I used to be an airline pilot and used to stay at this hotel regularly - over 60 nights a year. It was ok - restaurant is very expensive but there is a little cafe next door which is reasonable where all the Qantas office workers go for their meals. Botany Road is a ten minute walk and there are many hole-in-the-wall restaurants there that are worth walking to. Out at the airport there is nothing to do, though - no nightlife or attractions of any kind, although this property offers convenience. It was great at arrive and get to this hotel after a long flight and crash into bed, so convenience is what they offer - but the rates are too high for the level of quality and they lose me there since it makes no sense to be paying this rate . The train station is a five minute walk and it's easy to go there and jump a train to the city center.
Our rate was A$100 a night, and at that rate it was ok. Their present rates are just nuts! It's also getting worn - carpets are poor, bedspreads need cleaning. The place is either getting beaten to death or simply not being refurbished/maintained.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Pat B
Reviewed September 20, 2007

I arrived on a flight from Darwin in the early evening, checked in and needed to get to Olympic Stadium (now Telstra Stadium) straight away to see a rugby match. I debated about taking a taxi (would cost a fortune) and the desk staff went out of their way to explain how to find the train (the Mascot station is 2 minutes from the front door) and which trains to change to. Their instructions worked like a charm and it was a quick and easy way to get there and cheap.

It's often the little things that leave a lasting impression.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo
3  Thank KentuckyColonel
Reviewed July 29, 2007

To echo the sentiments of previous reviewers, this is a decent, convenient place for a one-night layover. It's less than five minutes from the airport, so it won't take long to get settled in your room, and you can arrive back at the airport in plenty of time for your flight.

Rooms meet the usual business hotel standards--clean and decently appointed.

Checkout is 11am, but you can request to extend it to 12 noon, which is nice if you came in on a late flight and need some time to recover before flying out of Sydney.

The hotel is smack in the middle of an industrial park area, so you won't be walking to restaurants or touristy stuff. The hotel has a restaurant and cafe/bar, and the room service was ok. Take the nearby subway if you want to get into Sydney.

A taxi from the airport to the hotel was AUD $10. You could also catch the hotel shuttle, which is slower but free. Taking the hotel shuttle back to the airport costs AUD $5/person, but the shuttles are convenient, reliable, and frequent, running every 30-45 minutes during peak periods. You'll need to book your place on the shuttle back to the airport--book it either when you check in, or the morning of your flight.

• Stayed: July 2007
7  Thank Happy_Homebody
Reviewed March 28, 2007

Looked around for a comfortable hotel to stay for a night in Sydney before flying to Canberra the next day, some of the hotels around the airport are terrible so I thought I would protect myself by paying a bit more for some where clean and comfortable.

I opted for the Holiday Inn based on reviews from tripadvisor. The shuttle bus took quite a while before it arrived, then we had to sit through the traffic in the domestic terminal before we reached the hotel. The whole journey including wait time took 1 hour 10mins, I would get a cab instead if you decide to stay here.

Check in - quick and efficient

Room - The reviewer in January must have got a more modern room than myself as my room looked old and stale and was crying out for a refirbushiment. Plus side was the room was very large.

Bath room - Very simple and clincally, but once again like the room needed an update, the other major negative was that the sink and the toilet had an eggy smell coming out of it, which required the bathroom door to be shut otherwise you could smell it from your bed. Not nice!

The staff are friendly and offer good advice, but for the price I paid was disappointed, maybe worth paying an extra few pounds and staying somewhere more modern.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled solo
5  Thank Londoner29
Reviewed March 18, 2007

Booked this hotel as my husband works in the area and we just wanted a night away from the kids. From the time I walked in there were problems. I booked a king size room and was told it would be on the top floor, but oh no it was on the first floor, when I complained I was told there were no other kingsize rooms available. Check in time was 2.00pm room was still not available at 3.10, I was then offered a free cup of cofee, which I declined. I was then given free overnight parking and a bottle of champagne but this did nothing to apese the bitter taste in my mouth. I am the type of person I like to get what I paid for not given freebies for poor service. Hotel could also do with a refurbishment. Reception staff were nice and polite in dealing with my problem but it should never have occured. Would not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2007