“Bring an appetite”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Manly
Reviewed June 19, 2012

When you walk up the steps to the first floor you get a sense of what you're in for; the walls are adorned with signed pictures of visiting athletes and rugby players.

This is a meat eater’s paradise and a Manly institution. Food arrives on a wooden board and you are issued with a wooden-handled steak knife ready to carve into the mountains of meat you will receive. You get a few fries (or potatoes) and perhaps some veggies too – but this is all about the steak. It’s from a variety of sources and it all gets explained before you choose. The smallest of steaks is enough and the ribs come with a sticky sauce of your choice and a bib which is very necessary!

There is an amazing view too across the ocean but come early or book to get near the window. If it’s a special occasion there is a private table to one side that’s kind of outside. It’s a bit away from the tables inside and fun on a summers evening.

Is there anything else you need to know? Brilliant steaks, great service.

Word of caution: at the time of writing the restaurant is closed for complete refurbishment.

Reviewed June 1, 2012

My two daughters and I took a once in a lifetime visit to Manly (from St Andrews in Scotland) and was advised to visit Ribs and Rumps. How glad we were!! Having worked in hospitality for many years I was impressed by the efficiency and friendliness of the staff. Even though it was 'winter' when we visited it was still nearly 30 degrees outside and the place was packed. My two 'fussy' daughters quickly found something they liked and enjoyed the novelty of the bibs that the lovely girl serving us brought them. Sorry I didn't catch her name...American I think....Heather? The view is amazing, right on the beach, and the steaks were delicious. My 7 year old daughter wouldn't allow me to try one of her ribs....a good sign that they're nice too.
Thanks for a special evening Caroline and her team....now if only you opened one in Scotland....!

Reviewed April 26, 2012

This is the third establishment we have sampled in the chain (all within Sydney) and I would say that it is the best of the three due to the location and atmosphere of the venue. Far from being noisy, we could chat over dinner without having to shout.

We got there early and were offered a choice of tables. We opted for one that was more open to the outside though it did get a little chilly later on.

I have learnt my lesson at these establishments. Get to know what you like and stick to it. Of all the rib combinations, the pork ribs are the best. They come with chips or baked potato and were served on a wooden board. Everything else is an extra but that's how they operate. Vegetables (like the other establishments) were nicely undercooked, side order of onion rings and garlic bread were nothing special. Other non rib orders on the table were - half a chicken (again with chips and nothing else) and baramundi with chips and a salad garnish. All meals were good though the fish looked a little over cooked.

We saved enough room for dessert this time. Flourless chocolate cake and chocolate mousse - both were tasty. The waitress brought over samples of each on order for us to view, which was helpful. We could steer away from the larger ones on offer.

Wine selection seemed quite broad. Must be something there for most tastes. The beers / ales were also good as were the cocktails which included non-alcoholic varieties for the children.

Included in the above was an irish coffee. Dinner for 4 (2 hungry children and 2 hungry adults) came to $200. That's a bit posh for where I come from, but there were no complaints from anyone. For that price you can walk away full.

Reviewed April 2, 2012

Can you believe a steak restaurant that runs out of onions of any kind - Even the ones mentioned on the limited sides menu. Probably the worst value for money restaurant we have come across in Sydney.

Reviewed March 29, 2012

The locatIon is awesome, but the food wasn't much above average. It might be partly because the Air ConditIoning was so strong that it cooled off the food before we could finish it. On the bright side the portions were huge. I think I should have had the mixed grill, as that looked amazing on the next table.