“Awful. Avoid.”

GreenLeadersBronze level
UK
“Awful. Avoid.”
Reviewed March 1, 2011

I cannot begin to put into words how awful this place is. I have stayed in many hostels and various types of accomodation and my experience here was utterly terrible. The staff are awful and don't care about anything apart from getting your money, the rooms/kicthens are disgusting (infested with cockraoches) and it feels like you're staying in a messy teenagers bedroom because the majority of people here are living in (which would be fine if there was any room/cleanliness....but there wasn't).

Please please please avoid this place, stay anywhere else in Manly as you will have a horrific experience if you stay here.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank rachelpips

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed November 13, 2010

So the reviews below are true, this place is pretty dilapidated and not taken care of and yet, it's always packed. Cab ride from Sydney Airport is about $85 (!). Young travelers from all over the world are staying here, three minutes from the beach and it's CHEAP. If you're over 25 you won't want to stay here, it's loud all night long. I didn't venture into the common area or kitchen. My 6-bed room was relatively clean but I was on the top floor (also, pack light - there's no elevator). It's nice as a crash pad though and the kids staying here are pretty cool as long as you're open-minded and laid back. Book a surf lesson at the famous Manly Surf School. The staff is not too terribly helpful but I didn't expect they would be. If you need a bath towel ask for one at the front desk (they dont provide it to you in the beginning). The wireless internet is consistent and very cheap. Must wear your flip flops in the shower but you knew that already. Overall if you're low maintenance you'll be ok here.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Comptche, California
Reviewed November 12, 2010

We recently stayed three nights at the Manly Serviced Apartments run by Manly Backpackers. We were in Sydney mostly as tourists, but I did a bit of work too. We paid AU$357 for the three nights. There was also an AU$30 key deposit that could only be recovered between 9:00-10:00 on the morning of departure. I didn't quite grasp the consequence of this rule at the time, since the instructions were snippily fired at me upon our arrival by a seriously hostile receptionist. Since our itinerary called for an early departure, our room rate was effectively raised by AU$10/day to about AU$130/day total. Since the main (only?) appeals of this place are location and price, I put it into perspective by checking on the rate for the nearby Novotel, which came in at about AU$300/day. Our room was spacious enough, with a brand new TV, but no phone. It wasn't exactly clean, and had some very questionable features such as the leaky taps and the almost painted two-by-four roughly nailed to the floor as a shower water barrier. The curtains (both window and shower) were decidedly frayed, one of the chairs wouldn't be accepted by any respectable thrift store, and forget any pictures or other adornments. The kitchen was pretty well-equipped, with a microwave, fridge, and toaster, plus silverware and crockery. There was also an ironing board and iron. The internet is wifi, free, and unlimited, as far as I could tell. Unfortunately, I missed out on it for the first day because the receptionist couldn't tell me the password. A sign suggested that calling an 800 number would reveal the password, but I was never able to get through to that number, which always came up disconnected or out-of-service. Despite promising signs such as "A towel on the floor means 'Please Exchange," our room wasn't ever fully made up during our 3-day stay. On the first day, the trash was emptied, but no towels were replaced and nothing was cleaned, nor was the bed made or the soap and shampoo replaced. On the second day, the trash was emptied again, and all the towels replaced, despite only one having been left on the floor. Again, nothing was cleaned, the bed not made, and no soaps were replaced. The sketchy maid service (or perhaps there wasn't supposed to be any - this wasn't clear either) was a particular problem on the first day because we left the window open during a sudden storm and ended up with drenched bed clothes. Not just damp, drenched! There was no hair drier so we dried them using the ultra grubby fan, which was truly disgusting. I would really rather have not have needed to touch it, frankly! Our neighbors partied from roughly 2-4 am, but were quite otherwise. Overall, this place has two strong positive features, price and location, and it's steeply downhill from there. That LonelyPlanet still recommends it shows they too are asleep at the wheel. Next time, I'll seek out something a little more pricey and less likely to make my skin crawl and get my hackles up. I guess you get what you pay for, or rather you don't get what you don't pay for?

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Manly hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 11, 2010

Me and my girlfriend booked a room in Manly Backpackers after looking at their website. It looked good online, so we thought it would be a good deal. 160$ for two nights in a double.

Not at all.

The staff was blunt and didnt come of as very helpful or nice. The halways were smelly (stench of urin and old shoes), the walls and ceiling havent been repainted for the last 50 years, the "FREE INTERNET" was three computers from the stone age, and only free for 30 minutes.
The showers and toilets didnt look like anyone ever cleaned them, yellow dried up stains on the rims, and something that looked like boogers and blood on the walls. The ventilation looked like something that might come down any second, with rotten/rusted valves hanging down
All the soap dispensers in the mens room were broken. The staff's solution: Some old powerade bottle that got filled up with soap daily. Really seems nothing ever gets fixed or taken care of in this place!
In our room, we had a double plus a single bed, yellow stained matresses, broken drop down in front of the window (torn and looked like something that had been picked up at the dump), plus it wouldnt stay down whatever we did. The floors were really dirty, and the parquet were broken under the bedpoles. The paint were coming off the walls as we watched, and the room itself was humid and cold - which means that the stingy old pieces of carpets they gave us didnt keep us warm. (and besides, they were covered in long black hairs). The doors and walls were so poorly isolated that we heard the talking in the reception and the partying in other rooms (!) as if it were right next to us.
We didnt even bother to check out the kitchen and common room, we just stayed out as much as we could.

Seriously, we're not picky. But this place was really a dump. Do NOT go there unless you only want a 25 dollar-a-night dirty matress in a dirty building. Period.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NorwegianAlex
brisbane
Reviewed June 12, 2010

This has to be the worst hostel I have ever had the unfortunate opportunity to come accross. Sadly I believed what the website said and paid for 7 nights accommodation. Upon seeing the actual state of the hostel I was mortified! It was sooooooo dirty! The window in the room was broken, the plase was filthy, just terrible. I was then informed that there was no chance of a refund and I should have read the signs behind reception. Please, whatever you do, DO NOT stay in this terrible place, it is truely horrible.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank newzealand009
new zealand
Reviewed April 28, 2010

stayed for three nights, saw regular cleaning and it was clean enough for me. the place was quite mellow and laidback which was nice (i.e. no strict rules about not eating and drinking in bedrooms which other places usually have). also free internet was super handy! location was fine and staff were friendly enough.

• Stayed April 2010
Utrecht
Reviewed March 3, 2010

I made a reservations by their website and left my creditcard.
I didn't get a confirmation that my booking request was accepted. To be sure I called them and they said it was completely full because of Mardi Grass, Chinese New Year and an AC/DC concert that weekend. So I went to a different hostel.
But they did charge my creditcard and won't refund my money!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo