“Old in need of major upgrades”

Manly Sea Life Sanctuary
Ranked #7 of 50 things to do in Manly
Australia
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Old in need of major upgrades”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2011

First visit to ocean world and will be my last, the prices charged are crazy for the size and age of this place, just go to Sydney aquarium!!

Visited January 2011
3 Thank mikejh225

• Korean first
Clovis, California
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“not wheelchair accessible”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2010

For any travelers that are disabled or need wheelchair access, please be aware that this venue is not wheelchair accessible, and has many stairs to get to the different levels to view. If you are thinking about purchasing the Sydney Explore 4 pass, which includes admission to the Sydney Aquarium, Sydney Wildlife World, Sydney Tower, and Oceanworld Manly for 49.99, be careful. We purchased ours from the Sydney Tower, and was surprised when we got to Oceanworld, and was told it was not wheelchair accessible. We were advised to go back and get a refund, but the lines were so long, it wasn't worth it.

Singapore, Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not a good time to go there now”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2010

The place is on repair and changing its look. But the people there is very helpful in telling us the different kind of sea animal. You can stop anyone there to ask and they are most willing to help to you.
I think with the people there, it will be a great place to visit when it is ready.

Manly, Australia
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Best for the kids”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2010

As a resident of Manly I never planned to visit oceanworld as I saw it as a tourist destination, though when my sister was doing the Shark Diving I got invited to go take pictures.
When I arrived at Oceanworld there were kids running around everywhere using the outside water slides while their parents sat at the cafe and were having coffee. The kids seemed to be having the best time, all screaming and yelling and laughing.
The prices aren't expensive, but for what you get I would reccommend just going to Sydney Aquarium.
Before the dive I spent some time looking in the gift shop, which has some really cool souveniers. The fact boards are interesting about Australian species etc.
The actual Aquarium was very small, just one round room with tanks of all the species- fish, sharks, eels, crocodiles etc. I looked at everything and it only took 10 minutes!
Then I went downstairs to the shark diving sector, which is one of those walk through aquariums. The species in this were really interesting although again it only would take 10 minutes to walk through.

All in all I think it was quite boring and small, but of course was really entertaining for the kids and entertaining for my sister as she did the shark dive and said it was well worth the $500 they spent (her boyfriend did it aswell). For myself and what I reccommend for anyone taking tourists or an actual day trip is to visit a bigger centre such as the Aquarium at darling harbour or Taronga Zoo.

1 Thank navindt
Los Angeles, California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“this place is a sad dump”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2010

This is a beat up, smelly and practically empty old aquarium. I wouldn't visit this place again if it were free. (Fortunately we bought the 4-pack of tix from the Syd. Aquarium/Wildlife Park so it practically was free). The tanks are all dirty and the place smells of old water and mildew. If you like aquariums (as we fish geeks do), stick to the Sydney Aquarium - a great visit. If you are a real scuba diver (as we are), don't bother with this expensive shark dive - save it for a real one out in the ocean, not in a smelly old aquarium tank that's not all that big anyway. Throw me in a cage and chum the water! (We didn't do the dive, but considered it - soooooo glad we didn't waste the money!) Hopefully this place will get some much needed funds and attention. Manly is the cutest place, well worth the visit. Hope the local aquarium lives up to the rest of the town someday.

1 Thank janed0ugh