“Manly dive”
Review of Dive Centre Manly

Dive Centre Manly
More attraction details
Owner description: Dive Centre Manly is situated closest to Sydney's best dive sites. Being a multi-award winning PADI 5 Star Instructor training facility, we offer a complete range of dive courses from Discover Scuba to Instructor level and beyond - including Sydney's most talked about Learn to Dive course.Our fun and unique skilled based training programs, have continually produced better divers - when you finish a program with us, you will have gained the confidence and skills necessary to enjoy a lifetime of diving - we guarantee that you won't be able to wait to jump back in the water again. And learning to dive has never been easier - we have Learn to Dive programs starting up to 5 times a week and are taught by some of the most experienced dive staff in Australia including 2 PADI Course Directors, Staff Instructors, Master Scuba Diver Trainers and Divemasters.
Sark, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Manly dive”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Great Padi dive training.
Professional and above all very patient.
if you wish to see the bigger wonderful world below the surface go and learn.
Puffin

Visited January 2014

York, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Disappointing Birthday”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Was supposed to dive at Magic Point on Saturday (for my birthday) however the conditions were too bad for us to be able to get out there. Obviously this is beyond the control of the dive centre however, the boat skipper did say that the conditions were predicted but the dive was not cancelled. Instead the skipper had to make a decsion 10 minutes into the journey to take us to an alternative dive site. The first dive was the worst dive I have ever been on as we saw nothing and spent the entire time waiting for other members of the group to catch up after taking photographs. The group was too large for the dive master to manage in the poor visibility so we spent a lot of time waiting around and consequently we lost 2 members of the group and had to abort the dive early. The second dive was at the same dive site however we went in a diferent direction and did see a few cool things. This dive was better as it was decided before we descended that we did not need to keep together as a group and if we did split up we could continue the dive without needing to locate the dive master.
I strongly believe the dive centre should be more proactive about judging the conditions earlier and chosing an alternative location to dive. The sole reason we did this dive (and paid so much money) was to dive with the sharks, if we knew it was so common that the conditions prevented us from getting there and the alternative dive site would be so poor, we would not have booked and spent the money (a couple of other people in our group have tried to do this dive on a couple of other occasions and the conditions have prevented it).
On a positive note, the dive equipment was excellent, everything was brand new and in great condition - the best I've ever had. The staff are all very nice, friendly and helpful and it is a professional operation. The skipper was obviously very experienced and handled the boat extremely well in the rough conditions, he made it clear that safety was of the utmost importance and this was very reassuring.

Visited December 2013
3 Thank HandMTravelling
Easton, Pennsylvania
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Shelly beach dive was a pleasure!”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

My wife and I recently visited Sydney. One of the things we wanted to do there was Scuba dive. I found Dive Centre Manly online and shot 'em an email. Chris replied back promptly, and answered my questions. When we finally visited, we took the ferry from Circular Quay to Manly Wharf. Dive Centre Manly is just a block down the road from there. We hauled our luggage there from the hotel since we had to check out by 10am and we were catching our cruise after diving. They were happy to let us store our stuff in the back of the shop while we dove.

We did 2 shore dives at Shelly Beach. Our dive group was small--myself, my wife, and a fellow from Sydney, along with our divemaster Connor and a divemaster trainee Reese. Both had over 250 dives under their belts. I had just been certified for open water a few weeks before, and my wife had only a few more dives than myself, so it was nice to have 2 divemasters along.

We were fitted for gear, which while basic and somewhat worn, did well by us in the water. They provided transportation in the van. We had to help load, which is fair enough. The beach itself was beautiful and the dives went great. Connor was safety conscious but made the experience fun. After our 2 dives, we filled out our log books, which is something not all divers do, but it was nice to see everything being done by the book.

Finally we were driven back in the van and dropped off. All in all I would definitely recommend Dive Centre Manly. For the price, they provide excellent bang, and the location is perfect.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The BEST Dive Centre! Small groups and passionate friendly staff.”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I have just completed the PADI Open water Diver Course and I can't speak highly enough of my experience with Dive Centre Manly.

From the moment you walk in the door you are greeted by friendly staff who make you feel relaxed and answer all your questions. I really appreciated working in a small group as it meant we got lots of attention from our isntructor and weren't kept waiting for others to complete their drills. When we got down to the beach and saw other dive schools operating in groups of about 30 you could see their skills and experience just didn't compare.

I know I speak for the others in my group when I say we were blown away by the knowledge and passion of our instructor Louis. He was incredibly professional but also a lot of fun. And when one of the people in our group was struggling a little with confidence he was very patient and tried everything he could to help our friend overcome his fears. Louis really focused on making sure we had good technique and that we could apply the skills and safety drills that we learnt. When we swam passed another dive centre's class they just looked like fools compareed to us, no buoancy, kneeling in the sand and lumpy old eqquipment. Louis is the man!

If you want the best equipment, small groups and THE best isntructor, then you must go with Dive Centre Manly. I really can't fault anything they did. I really loved the whole exsperience and I am well and truly hooked on Scuba diving. Can't wait for my next course!

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Best Open Water Diver Course in Sydney”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

My 2 friends and I recently took a weekend Open Water Diver course at Dive Centre Manly - our first ever attempt at Scuba - and had a fantastic experience. Our instructor was Louis P., who was an awesome instructor - down to earth, honest, fun, and clearly passionate about diving and giving his students the best possible experience. We did our ocean dives at Shelly Beach in Manly at the same time as several groups from Pro Dive. Their class sizes were quite large - about 8 students per instructor, whereas Dive Centre Manly limits their classes to 4 students, meaning we got a lot more individual attention and instruction. We also used brand new training equipment: wing-style BCDs instead of the standard vest/jacket style BCD that create more drag in the water and squeeze your chest when inflated. We also learned better buoyancy control than the Pro Dive groups, since we learned to do all of our skills underwater whilst neutrally buoyant, whereas the Pro Dive groups did them all kneeling on the bottom (not something you should do when diving a reef!). Louis' favourite moment from our ocean dives was probably when our group of 4 divers swam effortlessly past a Pro Dive group when they were kneeling on the bottom! I highly recommend Dive Centre Manly and dive instructor Louis if you want to learn how to dive anywhere in Sydney.