“It's not THAT bad!”

Boardrider Backpacker and Budget Motel
Ranked #11 of 13 Specialty Lodging in Manly
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I'm a 25 year old girl from the UK and have been traveling by myself off and on for the past 3 years... I've stayed in a few hostels during my 7 months in Australia, and I must admit, this has been one of my favourites so far!

Yes, it's not perfect... It could be a little cleaner, but I didn't see one cockroach during my 2 week stay. And it could be a little quieter, but that just comes with the central location being a 2 second walk from all the bars and shops (but hey, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em, right?) I also have a thing about bed sheets, but all I had to do was go to reception and ask for new ones! They were so nice about it that they actually went out, bought me brand new ones, washed and put it in the dryer and then put it on my bed!! All I wanted was for them to change it...

Aside from those things though, I had the best time! The atmosphere in the hostel is great. Everyone is so nice and willing to have a chat and make you feel included. They're all up for a good laugh (and a goon box or two) and I have genuinely met some great friends that I hope I will come across again some day.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Vanessa B

Reviewed April 28, 2013

We have loved all the hostels that we have stayed at except this one. The front desk person was really helpful and when our DVD player didn't work he gave us new cords and when we could not stand to stay a second night - he was able to get approval from manager to have our funds refunded. That said - the kitchen was disgusting - there was no way I was cooking in there. There were bugs crawling through our stuff in our room and the TV did not work at all. We didn't even take showers here - it was really bad. We moved to a local B&B that was lovely - for the same price as our family room. Skip this hostel.....

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BoardChick_13
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We planned to stay two nights, but ended up only staying one. The guy at reception was really nice, and they refunded our second night fully! Just know that this place is great for an 18-25 year-old who likes to party and stay up late and stay at the cheapest place possible per night that's next to the beach. If you expect the normal Australia hostel experience, you'll have better luck at a B&B. Also, they advertise a working TV but it doesn't work- go rent some DVDs.

Room Tip: We stayed in a family room, and from what I've heard, they have just as much cockroaches and bug...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LindaJ259
Reviewed April 10, 2013

For being two well traveled girls, with low expectations, this has got to be the worst place we have stayed EVER! To start off you are promised rooms you do not get! We were promised an all-girl four bed accommodation, and were showed to a eight girl room, where six of the girls had been staying for over a year. To be clear, we went to school in Manly and had personally talked to the "managers", which also just turn out to be backpackers themselves, and not at all equipped to run a backpacker! There was no space for luggage, you get a filthy blanket and a pillowcase without a pillow (you also have to pay for this). Doors are not locked, and are unable to close. BUGS EVERYWHERE, and just pure filth and odor in the hallways. Its is simply disgusting there, and for that amount of money it really is not worth it.

STAY AT BONDI YHA, or ICMS (International College of Management), so much better, cleaner and not far considering its same-ish price and SO MUCH BETTER in every way.

The staff were unable, and simply unwilling to help! Not so surprizing after having found out that they have close relations with those staying over the years. But by all means, if you feel like taking a shower, and feeling filthy the second after, ENJOY! Its a shame that they have such a great location. If it was possible to rate this place with -, we would!

Room Tip: The rooms are disgusting.. No rooms to recommend
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 31, 2013

i am an easygoing person and have stayed in some pretty grotty hostels around the world but this was the worst. hot sweaty stinky loud nights. ineffective fans ,most broken. was in a tiny mixed dorm with 8 people crammed into a 3 bunk beds.2 sets of couples.i was above a couple which was very uncomfortable.a dirty room.it felt like i was intruding on someones tiny bedsit(the people in my room had been there for ages).lights turned on all night,loud, rough partying people trailing in and out.no respect.hooligans.smell of marajuana,alcohol everywhere. i literally couldnt sit,relax,sleep in the place,it disgusted me that much.i constantly felt like vomiting.this place need a serious makeover and a strict management team. the only good thing about it was its fabulous location.stay at manly backpackers down the street. its normal and has still got a good location.

Room Tip: go to manly backpackers down the street. a million times better
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Stayed at board riders while travelling and was disgusted by the facilities. Ended up leaving my baggage at a friends house as it was so insecure, the lockers were broken and anybody could walk into the hostel and into any room. The rooms were so dirty the smell was unbearable and people were smoking and taking god knows what else in the room and staff did nothing. Was honestly the worst place I have ever stayed I would have left but due to it being Christmas and new year nowhere else was available! Do not stay here!!!

• Stayed: December 2012
Management response:Responded March 15, 2013

During christmas & New years, we have over 100 Backpackers in our hostel, it is very hard to keep clean at all times. We have cleaners morning and night all year round, who clean the hostel and rooms to a satisfactory manner.

Boardrider Management

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I was in a 8 girls dorm room on my first night a girl was bitten, she complained to reception nothing was done. She continued to be bitten and checked out. They replaced her mattress but the room was so dirty, piles of blankets in room corners, i think the room was vacummed once in the week I was there and that was because i requested it at reception, we all doubted the bedbugs were in anyone's mattress. They checked a girl into the bed above her she was bitten really badly, she also complained before moving out. I was finding and killing bedbugs on my bed and killing them about a week after the first girl was bitten the room was fumigated after this I was bitten and so was another girl. I gave up and moved up. I was not given a refund I was offered 2 free nights, as if I would want to stay. The management of this place is shocking they let this situation get out of control and were too slow to act. I would not advised anyone to stay here.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank 89EVA89
Management response:Responded March 15, 2013

Bed Bugs are a industrie wide problem, with thousands of travellers coming and going, its very hard to stop.We always deal with this issue as quickly as possible, however, these type of issues are not an over night fix, but are always rectified within a satisfactory time frame.
All of our dormitory rooms are vacuumed and cleaned everyday, not once a week.
this is very dissapointing,this statement you have made is incorrect.
Boardrider Management

Also consider these accommodations in or near Manly
Q Station Sydney Harbour National Park Hotel
Central Business District
Base Backpackers
Base Backpackers
#22 of 144 in Sydney

Been to Boardrider Backpacker and Budget Motel? Share your experiences!