“strong foul stench, lack of respect” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Boardrider Backpacker and Budget Motel

Boardrider Backpacker and Budget Motel
Ranked #11 of 12 Specialty Lodging in Manly
Dublin, Ireland
“strong foul stench, lack of respect”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

i am an easygoing person and have stayed in some pretty grotty hostels around the world but this was the worst. hot sweaty stinky loud nights. ineffective fans ,most broken. was in a tiny mixed dorm with 8 people crammed into a 3 bunk beds.2 sets of couples.i was above a couple which was very uncomfortable.a dirty room.it felt like i was intruding on someones tiny bedsit(the people in my room had been there for ages).lights turned on all night,loud, rough partying people trailing in and out.no respect.hooligans.smell of marajuana,alcohol everywhere. i literally couldnt sit,relax,sleep in the place,it disgusted me that much.i constantly felt like vomiting.this place need a serious makeover and a strict management team. the only good thing about it was its fabulous location.stay at manly backpackers down the street. its normal and has still got a good location.

Room Tip: go to manly backpackers down the street. a million times better
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

Stayed at board riders while travelling and was disgusted by the facilities. Ended up leaving my baggage at a friends house as it was so insecure, the lockers were broken and anybody could walk into the hostel and into any room. The rooms were so dirty the smell was unbearable and people were smoking and taking god knows what else in the room and staff did nothing. Was honestly the worst place I have ever stayed I would have left but due to it being Christmas and new year nowhere else was available! Do not stay here!!!

• Stayed December 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
, General Manager at Boardrider Backpacker and Budget Motel, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
During christmas & New years, we have over 100 Backpackers in our hostel, it is very hard to keep clean at all times. We have cleaners morning and night all year round, who clean the hostel and rooms to a satisfactory manner.

Boardrider Management

Travelers are raving about these Manly hotels

Manly, New South Wales, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

I was in a 8 girls dorm room on my first night a girl was bitten, she complained to reception nothing was done. She continued to be bitten and checked out. They replaced her mattress but the room was so dirty, piles of blankets in room corners, i think the room was vacummed once in the week I was there and that was because i requested it at reception, we all doubted the bedbugs were in anyone's mattress. They checked a girl into the bed above her she was bitten really badly, she also complained before moving out. I was finding and killing bedbugs on my bed and killing them about a week after the first girl was bitten the room was fumigated after this I was bitten and so was another girl. I gave up and moved up. I was not given a refund I was offered 2 free nights, as if I would want to stay. The management of this place is shocking they let this situation get out of control and were too slow to act. I would not advised anyone to stay here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank 89EVA89
Bed Bugs are a industrie wide problem, with thousands of travellers coming and going, its very hard to stop.We always deal with this issue as quickly as possible, however, these type of issues are not an over night fix, but are always rectified within a satisfactory time frame.
All of our dormitory rooms are vacuumed and cleaned everyday, not once a week.
this is very dissapointing,this statement you have made is incorrect.
Mt Martha, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

We had booked to stay at board riders backpackers in manly for four nights as we are in town for a wedding.
I have stayed in a lot, and I mean a lot of hostels all over the world, and this would have to be the worst.
There is garbage everywhere, the bathrooms are never cleaned. The whole place is just disgustingly dirty.
I booked two months in advance and also received an email that we would all (4 people on booking)be in one dorm room. When we arrived we were all placed in separate rooms. Which would be ok if the other guests were NOT HAVING SEX IN THE BED ABOVE ME, COMING BACK TO THE ROOM AT 4AM WITH FRIENDS TO PARTY.
If you don't care about clean this is the place fr youL

Room Tip: Dont stay at this place.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
We always try to honour all of our guests requests, however, these are requests only, and sometimes cannot be done due to satisfactory reasons.
All of our facilities are cleaned daily, and with over 100 Backpackers using them everyday, its not easy to keep spotless.
When staying at a Backpacker Hostel, You need to expect guests coming and going through out the night, we cannot stop guests from leaving a room or coming back to a room between certain hours of the day.
Oxford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

I will start by saying that I did get a full refund but hopefully you can avoid the hassle that we went through and save yourself the misery of the sleepless night that we had.

We originally booked for 3 nights. We stayed 1. It was a Saturday night and we were in a room that had as window that opened into the internal courtyard. The shark nightclub kept us awake until 2, which is kind of fair enough if you are in that part of town. The banging in the corridor, on the door, the talking and smoking in the courtyard and the running up and down the metal stairs is not so fair. It was like a sauna in the room but we were unable to open the window as the noise was absolutely unbearable.

The mattresses are plastic, which tells you what you need to know about the clientele of this place.

If you are 18, planning on drinking all night and don’t require more than 90 minutes sleep this is the place for you.

I will admit that it is very centrally located.

I told them on the Sunday morning I would be leaving. I was initially offered 50% refund for the first night and no refund for the next 2 when we wouldn’t be staying. We were assured it wouldn’t be noisy the next night as it wasn’t a Saturday. I wasn;t so confident with this prediction. After a short while and a discussion with the manager I was offered a full refund. For $90 a night you are far better off getting a place in Sydney and getting the ferry to Manly.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
, General Manager at Boardrider Backpacker and Budget Motel, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
I firstly would like to apologise for the inconveniences during your stay with us, however we are a backpackers as well as a budget motel. The noise is to be expected, especially in a hostel on the weekends.
We do however like to provide the best stay possible for all our guests, this is sometimes very difficult due to we are a hostel and a budget motel located on the main Corso strip in manly, especially on the weekend night life.
We are in the process of installing ceiling fans in all of our budget motel rooms.
All our mattresses have a mattress protector on them, which ensures they are kept clean for every guest.
Sydney
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

Stayed in a double private room, equipped with worlds most ineffective fan...the hottest night ever. Although this is to be expected in part in a hot country, I've never known anything like it in 5 years of backpacking, normally there is some form of air conditioning!

The worst part was that people were shouting, singing, running around the corridors and generally being anti social morons until 8am...seriously not cool, and there really should be night staff for that kind of thing.

Rooms were pretty grotty and bathrooms were filthy.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
We are in the process of installing ceiling fans in all of our budget motel rooms to help with the summer heat.
We are a hostel as well as a budget motel in the middle of the main busy Corso strip in manly, so unfortunately there is going to be some noise , especially on the weekends.
We are now putting in place a curfew of midnight during the weekdays and 2am on the weekends to ensure we can limit the noise factor in our building as much as possible.
The communal bathrooms are cleaned twice daily; however with over 90 backpackers using them every day, it is especially hard to keep them clean all the time.
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

After initially booking in for one week, I ended up staying at Boardriders for several months. I came from Sydney from a rather unhelpful, antisocial hostel to Boardriders which made me feel incredibly welcome from the moment i walked in the door, specifically from Troy on reception who works very hard to ensure you are happy with your stay. This is a busy backpackers with a large volume of people so the dorms do get very full but this is to be expected from a hostel which is situated central Manly and 3 minutes walk from the beach. It is a fun, sociable hostel and a great place to meet like minded travellers if you want to. I found all of the people staying there friendly and approchable. Its definitely somewhere you can stay long or short term and you can get help looking for work if you need. I would definitely head back there to stay next time i am in Manly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo