“Cramped, hot, sweaty but good location”

Boardrider Backpacker and Budget Motel
Ranked #12 of 13 Specialty Lodging in Manly
England
“Cramped, hot, sweaty but good location”
Reviewed July 29, 2011

A dive to be honest, beds were so close together and there were no ladders to the top bunk. I'm not even very fussy but rooms were filthy and sweaty and many many coackroaches climbed into bed with me. Showers were even worse. Very little ventilation, we all felt faint from the heat in the room. There were loads of long term people staying so virtually impossible to make friends, very cliquey, they all had their own groups. Lucky I had some cool people in my room for 1 night. The guy on reception was lovely though, very helpful. I'd stay again if I was desperate. It's right by the beach though.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Cooma
Reviewed July 5, 2011

As we walk up The Corso trying to find Boardrider Backpacker we are greeted with a small black door with "Entrance at Rear" printed on it... This was only the start.

No decent parking! Yes there is council parking very close but don't park there overnight unless you want a $50 fine for every hour past midnight!!! Ended up parking far up the street and having to walk.

Once we FINALLY got in the building we were greeted to some shabby rooms. We'd booked the delux rooms and somehow ended up with the crappy budget rooms with communal bathrooms. My room was full of hair and I was just delighted to have the company of a dead cockroach next to my bed!

The toilets and showers were abominably horrible - extremely dirty - no where to put any of your toiletries, There was soap scum and mold and grime absolutely everywhere. I was there 3 days and the whole time one toilet in particular was completely full of diarrhea - and it stayed that way the entire time - obviously there had been no cleaners in at all!

The tv hardly worked at all and my room happened to be right above the local bar which played loud music all in to the night - ofcourse i was given complimentary ear plugs on my pillow!

Behind my door was a nice big sign explaining how burglars often visited so be careful with your belongings.

The staff were just very young and seemed to act as though they were guests.
Will never go back to again!

Room Tip: Just do not even consider this place unless you love the company of bugs.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Manly hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 19, 2011

THIS PLACE IS DISGUSTING. To sum it up, there was a girl with a dying wet rat in a bowl from the kitchen, sat just 2 metres away from the dining area! It smelt like damp, there were leaks from the roof everywhere, with pots dotted all over the floor to catch the drips, there was no intention of fixing them - did not see any cleaners or maitenence staff on site at anytime. We stayed in a room which belonged to one of the staff, we were made to feel very unwelcone. There was mould, cracks, bugs and the kitchen was infested by flies and old plates of kebab meat. I used a whole bottle of antibacterial gel during my stay, the grottiest, dirtiest and most vile place I have ever set foot in and I'm from Manchester.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Palm Bay, Florida
Reviewed December 26, 2010

This place is the most disgusting place I have been in. The Manager was "conveniently" never available when we tried to complain.
The bathrooms have mould growing in the ceiling. The toilets are out of order. There is not hot water on any floor in any shower.
The whole building is infested with cockroaches.
The walls are paper thin. They try to say this ia a 4 start hostel??!
Who would stay in a "deluxe" room for over $100/night when there are stains on the carpets, broken beds, stained sheets, etc.
I would never recommend this place to anyone
Global gossip internet never worked while we were there either.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
jillian646
Reviewed May 14, 2010

My boyfriend & I have stayed in many locations in Manly (Quest, Novotel, Trident building, etc), and we recently decided to stay at Boardrider Backpackers b/c all other options were sold out due to a convention. We booked the "deluxe" suite for $95/night.

We weren't really expecting much, but we certainly weren't expecting ear plugs on our bed when we walked in. Between the paper thin walls, the people on the top floor jumping around, and the 4AM Booty Bar that's next door - you definitely need these ear plugs if you want to get to sleep. The bed was incredibly uncomfortable.. we actually brought in our air mattress which we pumped up and put on top of the nasty bed. I think we averaged about 4 hours a sleep each night.

On a positive note, our room came with a lovely balcony that overlooked Manly's Corso, the staff members were extremely friendly, and the internet is cheap & really fast. I'd say it probably is one of the nicer hostels (we've stayed at dozens of them throughout the world).. but the 4 star/motel advertisements are a bit misleading.

We loved saving $100+ night staying here rather than at the Novotel, but I doubt we'll return in the future.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Oxford
Reviewed April 23, 2010

This hostel hygiene level has a lot to be desired, the ladies bathroom was nothing less than disgusting unfortunately. The oscillating room fan, oscillated in the wrong direction causing a hot room sweaty room. However, this hostel makes up in other areas, the roof top terrace is a cute area to hangout, and the common area is very sociable- even with the constant films playing. Manly, the better Bondi, is a lovely little seaside town with nice restaurants.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Australia
Reviewed November 28, 2009

We had a "deluxe" room with ensuite. Firstly our ensuite was outside our room, the curtain rail kept falling off because it was busted, room is very tiny, no car parking, the shower was unclean and only had one screen of the door, no wardrobe - for a budget motel/backpackers saying their 4 stars - its a crap 4 stars from my book. There was a fan in the room which was a plus, but everything was broken. $120 of ripped off we were.

However, the positives - it was really quiet, centrally located, pillows were comfy and beds, staff were friendly and I guess we didn't really go to manly to stay in our room.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends