“Family Weekend at the Manly Pacific”

Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Manly
GreenLeadersBronze level
Canberra, Australia
“Family Weekend at the Manly Pacific”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Highly recommend the Manly Pacific. I took my mother and two teenage girls to Sydney to celebrate my mothers 86 birthday.The room easily accommodated 2 large kids and 2 adults. The view is great, the beds really comfortable, service friendly and there is a pool! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. This is a great hotel, in a great location opposite a beautiful beach.
Liked Best - Friendly service, laid back feel, Breakfast
Liked Least - Dinner - expensive and disappointing

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Manly_Pacific_Sydney, General Manager at Novotel Sydney Manly Pacific, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Dear Help_123_13,

Thank you for providing some wonderful feedback on the hotel. It is a pleasure to receive such a positive review.

Firstly I would just like to say Happy 86th Birthday to yourmother. It is always great to be apart of our guests special occasions.

Novotel Sydney Manly Pacific is nestled perfectly to enjoy the very best of the Australian lifestyle. Located directly opposite Manly Beach and only 30 minutes from Sydney's CBD by a Ferry; I too believe we have a great location.

Thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel in the future.

Novotel Sydney Manly Pacific

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

I booked a 2 Bedroom Suite for 2 nights - the night before my sister's wedding for all of us bridesmaids & bride to stay & get ready on the morning of the wedding, then for the bride & groom to stay in for their wedding night.
Now, I'm by going to lie, the price was not cheap (around $500/night) but it did include breakfast and in the end was worth every cent!
Right from the outset, every request we made was accommodated, and nothing we asked was too hard - requests for a room on a specific level, late checkout, late servicing of room after the first night, champagne glasses, extra robes & slippers to be brought up, more fresh champagne glasses, a platter of sandwiches etc etc!
Staff were so pleasant & friendly & accommodating - I would go as far as to say that we received exceptional service from every single staff member we came into contact with!
Breakfast buffet was fantastic - eggs made to order, a varied spread of hot cooked items, pastries, fruits, pancakes, gourmet teas & more!
The suite itself was lovely - 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a spacious living area with sink, full fridge, large dining table - and a balcony with a spectacular view of Manly Beach, really stunning!
And not that it was particularly relevant to us this time, but the location & close proximity to the corso and all of the fabulous restaurants is definitely a big bonus for this hotel.
We would have liked a radio or iPod dock in the room, but were able to get the abc digital radio station on the TV, so that kept the background music sorted.
The late (lunchtime) checkout for bride & groom was particularly appreciated.
As was the reserved space in Charlie Bar for the wedding party & some of the guests to continue celebrating on the Saturday night after the wedding reception (which was held elsewhere) had finished.
All in all, a top notch experience and I would have no hesitation in recommending.
A particular thank you to all of the staff who made out stay extra special, it was greatly appreciated.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear AussieGirl1985,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the hotel regarding your stay at the Novotel Sydney Manly Pacific on Trip Advisor. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

We appreciate your positive comments regarding the services and the facilities provided by the hotel. We strive to provide a superior experience for all our guests and comments such as yours will serve as an encouragement to the staff.

Over looking the beach, it's all day dining at Zali's Restaurant, open daily for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I am glad to hear you found the breakfast buffet in Zali's to be fantastic. It is great to wake up to Novotel's fresh start breakfast offering a deliciously healthy menu. Choose from our breakfast buffet, with barista coffee, bakery fresh bread, fresh eggs made to your preference and fresh juices.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Canberra
Reviewed May 19, 2013

At home, I have a big bathroom. Here I do too.

When I arrived, in the parking they asked me lots of questions. It would be good if they new in advance I was arriving. Long term, I would like a webcam, that reads number plates, at the entrance, with the operative having an app on an iPad, that tells him or her all about me. I would still need to repeat it, but it would be more in a confirmatory fashion.

When I got up to the reception desk, the operative said she had spent some of her morning reviewing my preferences, and she then checked if the room was ready (I arrived 3 hours before check in time). She then asked me if I would like a complementary drink. She then walked around the desk, and gave me a gold luggage label, as a reward for returning so often. She then attached the label to my case. Then she introduced me to the new Concierge, who told me he could help with anything I might need (we talked briefly about restaurants in Manly). Then I talked with the other person working at reception, who said she had come down especially to say hi to me. She was a more senior manager, and I told her her team was doing a good job looking after me. The other operative, then told me my room was ready. When I arrived at the 6th floor, I said out loud "I wonder where room 612 is?" - my wife started speaking, but before she could, one of the room cleaners said "Your room is down the this corridor on your left". When I got to the room the head of room configurations was waiting for me, opened the door, and then told me how wonderful it was to have guest who made so many intelligent suggestions. She told me that all phones in the hotel now have room numbers written on them, arising from one of my previous suggestions. Extra towels were in the room, as I like this. She also had extra pillows. The General Manager had left a card welcoming me back, with a bottle of top quality red wine too, which I was impressed when I rang the reception to ask about I was immediately told, when I asked if need to pay for it I was immediately told, that that was a gift for me, given I am a regular guest.

My wife likes to read, and is in the same bed with me, on my right (we are in bed closest to door). I am thinking lighting is inadequate, as there is no light for her. I ring reception. They organise for a tall standing lamp to be shifted to where my wife is, and for an extension cord to it, so it works. I am thinking it would be good if there were bed lamps at both left and right of the 2 beds, so even if you have 4 people in room, everyone would have a reading lamp.

We go down to the bar. The barman is real friendly, and takes us to a part of bar where less noisy (I hate noise, as my previous reviews of this hotel attest - they now put in in a high up room, at North end, routinely, so it is extremely quiet for me). I say I like an orange juice with one glass full of ice, and one glass with orange juice in it, which I mix. He creates this for me masterfully, with the iced glass being bigger, than the orange juice one, so there is no spillage. He serves my wife exactly the sort of apple cider she likes. These drinks were complementary, as the first operative who offered me a free drink whilst waiting, said I could have it anytime during my stay. There used to be a free drink promotion in my room, but not this time. It is a great idea, I think, as I am super shy, and so do not normally enter a bar, unless there is a good reason to, and a free drink for me is a good reason. I am sure some other hotel customers may be the same. They had an excellent meal offer going for $15, including a Schnitzel. I would like that to include a vegetarian option too - like so, on sign:
* For $15 you can have a Schnitzel or spagetti primavera.
If that is too complex, maybe have it like so
* For $15 you can have a Schnitzel (vegetarian option available)
- like they some places do vegetarian hamburgers.

I hope I have not bored everyone by highlighting how amazing this place is. I am the customer from hell, and lots of places do not like having me stay, because I am continually giving them feedback on how to improve their service. This place embraces me, appreciates me, and indeed, adopts lots of my suggestions. Their motto might be:
"We aim to exceed your expectations, and to delight you repeatedly, during your stay."

One minor suggestion - they keep calling me Mr surname.
I prefer to be called givename.
I suggest their switchboard be amended to when I call them from room it says
"He prefers to be called givenname"
My wife feels this is a completely unrealistic expectation, as staff are trained to call people
Mr familyname
and to expect them to vary that, even when having the aid of an intelligent switchboard, is completely unrealistic, unreasonable, and ridiculously demanding.
I can see her point, but I do like to make such suggestions, even if hard to fulfill.

My sense is everyone at this hotel gets treated like me. When I was checking out the guy in front of me started talking about a screw being loose in the shower, then he had two other minor complaints, and I thought "What a pain". The operative was super enthused, and said how much they appreciated his feedback. My wife just looked at me with a wry smile, kind of like, if you expect to be treated like family, you cannot complain if everyone else is too. :-)

Room Tip: If you like a quiet room, ask for a room high up, at North end of hotel.
Melbourne
Reviewed May 14, 2013

3 of us had 3 lovely days at the Manly Novotel in April. An ideal place across from the ocean beach. Both the double rooms we had were clean uncluttered and well equipped. Comfortable beds and quiet location.
We dined at the Restaurant for both breakfast and Dinner and found the menu extensive at breakfast, but a bit limited and dinner. Nevertheless, all meals were delicious.
The bar opened out into the street and we could watch the waves roll in whilst we enjoyed a quiet drink. Luckily we had perfect weather, so were able to make the most of the beach. A short walk along the corso and we were at the ferry to Sydney Harbour.
Well recommended to stay there!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Manly_Pacific_Sydney, General Manager at Novotel Sydney Manly Pacific, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear WagsMelboirne,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the hotel regarding your stay at the Novotel Sydney Manly Pacific on Trip Advisor. It is great to hear that the three of you enjoyed three days at the hotel.

Manly's iconic Charlie Bar, your bar on the beach, is the perfect place to enjoy a drink with friends, savour our contemporary pub-style fare or catch some live sport.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Novotel Sydney Manly Pacific in the near future.

Colac
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Our second stay at Manley Novotel and we loved it more than before, clean, comfortable suite, well serviced. Sam, Graham and other staff really spoilt us in the dining room, especially the seafood entree prepared by the chef on our first night!! A very memorable treat..thanks again. We love the beach and the walks to Cabbage Tree Bay and Manly to the The Spit bridge, a challenge but well worth while. We will be back next year. Keep up the fine work.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

It is wonderful to have a guest return to the hotel on several occasions and I thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Novotel Sydney Manly Pacific on Trip Advisor.

Thank you for your positive comments regarding the services and the amenities provided by the hotel. We strive to provide a superior experience for all our guests and comments such as yours will serve as an encouragement to the staff.

We will pass on your wonderful comments and reward Sam, Graham and our Executive Chef inline with our recognition program. It is fantastic to hear about your walks to Cabbage Tree Bay and Manly to the Spit Bridge. The walk follows a well-maintained track and provides beautiful views over Middle Harbour. This walk is great for those looking for exercise or just a stroll along the shoreline of Sydney Harbour.

Central Coast, NSW
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We were upgraded to an ocean view room and these have been refurbished since the last time that we had one. Much improved. Some standard rooms can be a bit "out of the way" and difficult to locate, so it can be useful to inspect those rooms before occupying. The overall standard of rooms is very good. There is a roof top swimming pool with a magic view which is worth bringing your swimming gear to use, even if there is a world famous beach just across the road. Our only two minor issues we have with this hotel are: 1. Often the only place to eat is Zali's (the main restaurant) or the public bar. Sometimes the other bar and eating options are hired out for functions restricting their use by guests and 2. there is nowhere in the lobby to put down items you might have with you, or for others in your party to sit when checking in or out. The only option is a couple of sofas at the lobby bar. It would be good to have some seating for the lobby itself

Reviewed May 8, 2013

I stayed for four nights for a friend's wedding and having paid a discounted web price, I wasn't surprised to be put in the courtyard back-of-hotel rooms. What a surprise. The room was quite large with a queen bed, coffee table and extra 2-seater couch. The bathroom was big and well equipped, had a strong shower and a full size bathtub. The courtyard rooms surround a triangular pebbled yard with a gurgling fountain, all very zen to doze off to with the window ajar. It wasn't particularly dark at all. There is a separate back elevator leading to the lane behind which is very handy to shops and the corso, instead of the slight trek back to reception from these rooms. Very handy as i was going surfing some mornings. Even though my mates had the 2-bedroom ocean view suite, it was no disappointment heading back to my courtyard room. Well done Novotel, I haven't been this impressed for a while. One suggestion - if you could shift the couch and bed slightly towards the window, it would free up bit more space for opening the wardrobe and fridge doors for room 146. Cheers!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Clayton C,

All feedback is used as a training tool as we are continually striving to improve the service we provide to all of our guests.

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your courtyard room #146. A haven of personal space, designed for natural living, a comfortable bed, a soft duvet, harmonious colours and the promise of a great night's sleep.

Novotel Sydney Manly Pacific
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manly
The Sebel Manly Beach
Mercure Sydney
#62 of 178 in Sydney
Central Business District
Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney

Been to Novotel Sydney Manly Pacific? Share your experiences!