“My Sydney Trip with Cell Group”
Review of The Outback Lodge

The Outback Lodge
Ranked #10 of 13 Specialty Lodging in Manly
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I loved the place, location and stay. Absolutely lovely stay. Nice apartment to cook nicely fitted with an oven, frying pans, cups, plates, utensils. Nice lovely beds as well. it is also near, a good 15 mins walk down to the beautiful beaches in Manly. Did not get to see the owners at all and I guess there wasn't a need to; keys can be collected from a keybox and returned in a keybox. However, I must add that travelers must be very specific when you book for additionals like Parking Permits, Wi-Fi when booking online. Not all apartments have kitchen facilities so be specific.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank DamienYu

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Great location,great price.Lovely clean room ,what else do you need?Felt comfortable leaving the windows open all night.Had some fun talking to some 20 somethings in the garden one night.We are in our 50's.We tell everyone about the little gem in Manly,so close to the beach,yet quiet and what a nice experience in times of big hotels and apartments.A breath of fresh air in a frantic world.Phil and Jo Montgomery

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank johannem301
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stay at manly for the Easter long weekend, our rooms was clean, tidy and looked great and just like the photos show on the easy to read website - which we have since been advised that this is new - well done on a great and easy to read website.

The staff were very friendly and we arrived after hours but we were advised where the keys would be and was easy to locate our apartment.

The outback lodge is only a short walk to manly and the beach and it in a beautiful street with a lovely garden area to sit and read a book or just watch the passing people walking the street.

We thought we would place this review on here as u really have to come and see THe outback lodge and check with them as this has been one of the beat places we have stay in manly, we spend each year in manly for Easter and we will be back next year, we have already booked with Shez.

We really enjoy our stay and please check this place out and see the rooms they are fresh, clean and modern ad everything u need for a short or long getaway

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Localfam13
Reviewed March 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Outback Lodge for several nights in Feb 2013. Our room was small, simple, and tidy. We had a bed with all the linens, kitchenette well equipped, TV, towels, and a bath bar. We had a shared bath, which was a first for us. We didn't find it too much of an inconvenience except a couple of times when we found it very messy after other guests had showered.
The site has WiFi for purchase (which is a nice perk), but the WiFi signal is too weak to use anywhere away from the "office" cottage. If you want to use the internet, you must sit right outside the keeper's office.
The area is quiet with a nice breeze at night.
Parking passes can be purchased from the Outback Lodge.
You can find cafe's and shops in walking distance.
The beach is lovely and an easy walk.
Overall, it was a nice (simple) place to stay.

Random advice: If you plan to check into this hotel after 5pm (office hours are Mon-Sat 10am to 5pm, Sunday by appointment) and you do not have an Australian phone number for contact- be sure to request all information (late check in keybox code, parking pass, WiFi codes, etc) to be sent to you via email prior to check in.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MCare
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I stayed at the outback lodge three times! Should be enough said.

It is not a 5* hotel, but it is better than similar priced venues. Add in its location, on a quiet road 5 minutes walk from Manly beach and the variable accommodation facilities (almost every room has different features) and you have a practical alternative to hotels and holiday apartments.

It has laundry facilities. Some apartments have small kitchens. Some apartments have en-suite bathrooms, some have a shared bathroom. All rooms are clean, comfortable, have small flatscreen tv. Wifi is available, although some parts have a stronger signal than others.

I would challenge anyone to locate a property as clean and comfortable 5 mins walking distance from Manly beach at the same price. I dont think any exist, if you do find one please tell me.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank VeryVeryHappyChappy
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I organised to stay for one week here. 2 days before my departure I am told my room has been double booked and I have to leave. Leaving me to find new accomodation for a night on a public holiday weekend.

The attitude of 'Shez' (who seems to run the show there) in dealing with this matter was appalling - trying to blame me for their woeful administration. When I told 'Shez' that an apology would be sufficient compensation she refused. It was a kafkaesque situation which made me double check my written correspondence with her which clearly stated my booking requirements which were also confirmed verbally. I can only laugh about, but I am glad for a public forum to let others know of the dodgy operation at the outback lodge.

Additionally television didn't work and apartment was far from clean - with all cutlery, crockery and glassware needing to be cleaned before use. Bedding was uncomfortable with the mattress being quite old and lumpy. This was in one of their higher end rooms.

Thanks for reading.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
8  Thank VisitEverywhere12
TheOutbacklodge, Manager at The Outback Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

It is never pleasant when a guest who books in for a particular period which is paid upfront, suddenly decides that they wish to extend their stay. We at The Outback Lodge placed a notice under the guests door two days prior to his vacating date to remind him this was his vacating day and this is when he was paid up to. The guest called us to advise he wanted to stay claiming he had paid for the extra night - when we tried to tell him that he had only been charged for the nights he booked and that unfortunately there was no vacancy for him during the long weekend/jazz festival here at Manly, he became extremely rude and threatening. We did advise he had been notified of his vacating date by letter placed under his door of which he claimed he never got - a quick inspection of his apartment showed very clearly he had received the notice.

This guest threatened us and advised that he was involved in social media and would endeavor to destroy our reputation. The apartment he booked is a standard 1 bedroom apartment and not an executive apartment - he never notified any staff of problems with the TV nor the bed - if we are not informed immediately it is impossible for us to rectify which we would have done immediately.
The Outback Lodge is one of the most popular and loved establishments at Manly with a huge guest list of repeat customers, we strive very hard to ensure that we meet our guests needs but we cannot control vindictive comments from guests who expect us to cancel other guests bookings so they can be accommodated.

Reviewed June 15, 2012

I saw the good reviews for The Outback Lodge and was really pleased when I managed to book the last available apartment the day before my stay in Manly.

I arrived in the evening when the reception area was closed. As a lone female traveller I felt a bit uneasy with the remote feel to the location of the property. I had to walk down a dark, unlit alley way to my apartment at the back which also led to a car park. I tried to close the windows but these had rusted and were stuck open which added to my unease being on the ground floor. Maybe I was being unnecessarily paranoid but it just didn't feel 'nice' or safe so as reception was closed I decided to pack my bag and leave. I was then forced to spend extra money on a hotel for the night before finding alternative accommodation. The next day I found an internet cafe and e-mailed the owner to explain my predicament.

As I had only booked the accommodation at the last minute the day before I hoped the owner might understand and refund at least some of my money that I had had to pay up-front the day before my arrival. I was wrong.

My trip therefore turned out to be very expensive, having to pay for two places to stay in Sydney! I appreciate it was my decision to leave but I'd hoped the owner might be a little more understanding and willing to come to a compromise, particularly as I had booked last minute and don't feel I'd stopped her renting it out to anyone else.

From what I saw of the Outback Lodge it was OK; very basic with no air conditioning but lots of ants. If you are travelling with friends it should be fine but I felt my experience in Manly would have been ruined if I'd stayed here.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank Janiel56
TheOutbacklodge, Manager at The Outback Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2012

It is always disappointing to get a review like this especially when the guest specifically booked an apartment with its own private entrance and did not want to experience noisy neighbors. The apartment is at the rear of the property and to gain access is to walk down the side of the building the apartment at the back - this is not an alley way and the walkway is lit up by two automatic lights that stay on from sunset to sunrise. The apartment had access to a lovely garden/ lawn area and the rear gates open onto a large park - it is definitely not a car park - what the guest was seeing was a few motor vehicles parked in the park as this is the only access three neighbors have to their property and council allows them to park there which does not interfer with any of our guests.

The guest arrived after we had closed and inside her envelope was my phone number which is contactable 24 hours and not once did the guest try to call me to advise she felt unsafe - if she had she could have gone into the main building immediately. It was not until Monday morning that we were advised by her that she had left immediately and found alternative accomodation. We sent her an email to advise her that we could easily still accommodate her elsewhere however she declined our offer.

For the following reasons we were unable to offer any refund as the guest made absolutely no effort to contact us by phone nor call into the office on Sunday morning to discuss. The guests misconception that there is an alley way and car park area at the rear of the property is a gross exaggeration and the complaint comes from malice . We were more than happy to meet the guests needs but impossible if guests don't give us that opportunity and still want a full refund. We are only a small family business and even though we tried to re advertise we were unable to rebook the apartment.

The window in question was checked and the winders for the window is rusted but works well unfortunately being so close to the ocean results in everything rusting or corroding quickly but the window could open and close easily.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Manly
Novotel Sydney Manly Pacific
#1 of 13 in Manly
Manly Guest House
Manly Guest House
#2 of 13 in Manly

Been to The Outback Lodge? Share your experiences!