“Little Gem in Manly”
Review of The Outback Lodge

The Outback Lodge
Ranked #10 of 13 Specialty Lodging in Manly
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Great location,great price.Lovely clean room ,what else do you need?Felt comfortable leaving the windows open all night.Had some fun talking to some 20 somethings in the garden one night.We are in our 50's.We tell everyone about the little gem in Manly,so close to the beach,yet quiet and what a nice experience in times of big hotels and apartments.A breath of fresh air in a frantic world.Phil and Jo Montgomery

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank johannem301

Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stay at manly for the Easter long weekend, our rooms was clean, tidy and looked great and just like the photos show on the easy to read website - which we have since been advised that this is new - well done on a great and easy to read website.

The staff were very friendly and we arrived after hours but we were advised where the keys would be and was easy to locate our apartment.

The outback lodge is only a short walk to manly and the beach and it in a beautiful street with a lovely garden area to sit and read a book or just watch the passing people walking the street.

We thought we would place this review on here as u really have to come and see THe outback lodge and check with them as this has been one of the beat places we have stay in manly, we spend each year in manly for Easter and we will be back next year, we have already booked with Shez.

We really enjoy our stay and please check this place out and see the rooms they are fresh, clean and modern ad everything u need for a short or long getaway

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Localfam13
Reviewed March 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Outback Lodge for several nights in Feb 2013. Our room was small, simple, and tidy. We had a bed with all the linens, kitchenette well equipped, TV, towels, and a bath bar. We had a shared bath, which was a first for us. We didn't find it too much of an inconvenience except a couple of times when we found it very messy after other guests had showered.
The site has WiFi for purchase (which is a nice perk), but the WiFi signal is too weak to use anywhere away from the "office" cottage. If you want to use the internet, you must sit right outside the keeper's office.
The area is quiet with a nice breeze at night.
Parking passes can be purchased from the Outback Lodge.
You can find cafe's and shops in walking distance.
The beach is lovely and an easy walk.
Overall, it was a nice (simple) place to stay.

Random advice: If you plan to check into this hotel after 5pm (office hours are Mon-Sat 10am to 5pm, Sunday by appointment) and you do not have an Australian phone number for contact- be sure to request all information (late check in keybox code, parking pass, WiFi codes, etc) to be sent to you via email prior to check in.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MCare
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I stayed at the outback lodge three times! Should be enough said.

It is not a 5* hotel, but it is better than similar priced venues. Add in its location, on a quiet road 5 minutes walk from Manly beach and the variable accommodation facilities (almost every room has different features) and you have a practical alternative to hotels and holiday apartments.

It has laundry facilities. Some apartments have small kitchens. Some apartments have en-suite bathrooms, some have a shared bathroom. All rooms are clean, comfortable, have small flatscreen tv. Wifi is available, although some parts have a stronger signal than others.

I would challenge anyone to locate a property as clean and comfortable 5 mins walking distance from Manly beach at the same price. I dont think any exist, if you do find one please tell me.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank VeryVeryHappyChappy
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I organised to stay for one week here. 2 days before my departure I am told my room has been double booked and I have to leave. Leaving me to find new accomodation for a night on a public holiday weekend.

The attitude of 'Shez' (who seems to run the show there) in dealing with this matter was appalling - trying to blame me for their woeful administration. When I told 'Shez' that an apology would be sufficient compensation she refused. It was a kafkaesque situation which made me double check my written correspondence with her which clearly stated my booking requirements which were also confirmed verbally. I can only laugh about, but I am glad for a public forum to let others know of the dodgy operation at the outback lodge.

Additionally television didn't work and apartment was far from clean - with all cutlery, crockery and glassware needing to be cleaned before use. Bedding was uncomfortable with the mattress being quite old and lumpy. This was in one of their higher end rooms.

Thanks for reading.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
8  Thank VisitEverywhere12
TheOutbacklodge, Manager at The Outback Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

It is never pleasant when a guest who books in for a particular period which is paid upfront, suddenly decides that they wish to extend their stay. We at The Outback Lodge placed a notice under the guests door two days prior to his vacating date to remind him this was his vacating day and this is when he was paid up to. The guest called us to advise he wanted to stay claiming he had paid for the extra night - when we tried to tell him that he had only been charged for the nights he booked and that unfortunately there was no vacancy for him during the long weekend/jazz festival here at Manly, he became extremely rude and threatening. We did advise he had been notified of his vacating date by letter placed under his door of which he claimed he never got - a quick inspection of his apartment showed very clearly he had received the notice.

This guest threatened us and advised that he was involved in social media and would endeavor to destroy our reputation. The apartment he booked is a standard 1 bedroom apartment and not an executive apartment - he never notified any staff of problems with the TV nor the bed - if we are not informed immediately it is impossible for us to rectify which we would have done immediately.
The Outback Lodge is one of the most popular and loved establishments at Manly with a huge guest list of repeat customers, we strive very hard to ensure that we meet our guests needs but we cannot control vindictive comments from guests who expect us to cancel other guests bookings so they can be accommodated.

Reviewed June 15, 2012

I saw the good reviews for The Outback Lodge and was really pleased when I managed to book the last available apartment the day before my stay in Manly.

I arrived in the evening when the reception area was closed. As a lone female traveller I felt a bit uneasy with the remote feel to the location of the property. I had to walk down a dark, unlit alley way to my apartment at the back which also led to a car park. I tried to close the windows but these had rusted and were stuck open which added to my unease being on the ground floor. Maybe I was being unnecessarily paranoid but it just didn't feel 'nice' or safe so as reception was closed I decided to pack my bag and leave. I was then forced to spend extra money on a hotel for the night before finding alternative accommodation. The next day I found an internet cafe and e-mailed the owner to explain my predicament.

As I had only booked the accommodation at the last minute the day before I hoped the owner might understand and refund at least some of my money that I had had to pay up-front the day before my arrival. I was wrong.

My trip therefore turned out to be very expensive, having to pay for two places to stay in Sydney! I appreciate it was my decision to leave but I'd hoped the owner might be a little more understanding and willing to come to a compromise, particularly as I had booked last minute and don't feel I'd stopped her renting it out to anyone else.

From what I saw of the Outback Lodge it was OK; very basic with no air conditioning but lots of ants. If you are travelling with friends it should be fine but I felt my experience in Manly would have been ruined if I'd stayed here.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank Janiel56
TheOutbacklodge, Manager at The Outback Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2012

It is always disappointing to get a review like this especially when the guest specifically booked an apartment with its own private entrance and did not want to experience noisy neighbors. The apartment is at the rear of the property and to gain access is to walk down the side of the building the apartment at the back - this is not an alley way and the walkway is lit up by two automatic lights that stay on from sunset to sunrise. The apartment had access to a lovely garden/ lawn area and the rear gates open onto a large park - it is definitely not a car park - what the guest was seeing was a few motor vehicles parked in the park as this is the only access three neighbors have to their property and council allows them to park there which does not interfer with any of our guests.

The guest arrived after we had closed and inside her envelope was my phone number which is contactable 24 hours and not once did the guest try to call me to advise she felt unsafe - if she had she could have gone into the main building immediately. It was not until Monday morning that we were advised by her that she had left immediately and found alternative accomodation. We sent her an email to advise her that we could easily still accommodate her elsewhere however she declined our offer.

For the following reasons we were unable to offer any refund as the guest made absolutely no effort to contact us by phone nor call into the office on Sunday morning to discuss. The guests misconception that there is an alley way and car park area at the rear of the property is a gross exaggeration and the complaint comes from malice . We were more than happy to meet the guests needs but impossible if guests don't give us that opportunity and still want a full refund. We are only a small family business and even though we tried to re advertise we were unable to rebook the apartment.

The window in question was checked and the winders for the window is rusted but works well unfortunately being so close to the ocean results in everything rusting or corroding quickly but the window could open and close easily.

Reviewed May 14, 2012

Stayed at the Outback Lodge for 4 nights in March 2012. There are 2 buildings next door to each other. I stayed at #7 and in room 1.
The room is spacious with a bedroom and a combined lounge/diner/shower/toilet room.
As well as an entry door off the main corridor the room has one other door at the front (in bedroom) which is not used anymore. This door presented me with a security concern as it was only secured by a flimsy metal hook and eye. One decent shove would be enough to breach the security. The same could be said about a sash window in the other room which overlooked a side passage. The window was only prevented from opening by an allen key pushed into a hole in the frame. A lock was fitted but was of not use as bits were missing. Unfortunately, we arrived after the office was closed for the day and despite a phone call to the lodge contacts nothing could be rectified that evening. in fact only a minor improvement was made to the window and nothing to the front door.
Car parking on the road was fairly straight forward but a permit is required from the office.
Positive points - Decent location only a short walk to the beach and approx 15 mins stroll to the ferry terminal. Quiet, clean, some decent cafes nearby on the main drag. TV and kitchen facilities.
Negative points - A little noisy when people in neighbouring rooms were coming and going. The wooden floors and high ceilings tended to amplify the noise.
WiFi has to be purchased.
But in general i was happy to stay here for a short break. Not sure i could have stayed in this room for a long duration. I never actually saw any other rooms so can't comment on their suitability for long stays.

Room Tip: Read the reviews.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Yes we did check the security on this apartment and all of the other apartments and all windows are correctly secured for the standards required by the Fire Department. We were advised that no security screens nor dead locks are to be on any window or door in case of fire guests may be unable to get out so for this reason all our windows have standard easy to operate locks which are either a clip system, bolt or sliding lock.

The Outback Lodge is in a residential area not known for breakins or security problems we are very fortunate here that we live in a society where we can still leave our homes unlocked , we have never had any burglary or theft from any of our properties, the apartments are secure and safe.

For the safety of our guests we take very seriously any issue brought to our attention and will endeavor to improve our standards however in this situation we have adequate security and will not restrict guests should an emergency arises eg fire

With regards to the timber floors and high ceiling - theses are all heritage features and are over 100 years old - the beautiful Kari timber floors are polished and the ornate patterned ceilings are quite beautiful - this gives the property an old world charm and at times yes guests will hear doors closing, footsteps etc the same can be heard in any modern motel or hotel around the world !,, that's life

Also consider these accommodations in or near Manly
Novotel Sydney Manly Pacific
#1 of 13 in Manly
Manly Guest House
Manly Guest House
#2 of 13 in Manly

Been to The Outback Lodge? Share your experiences!