“What a great place to stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Q Station Sydney Harbour National Park Hotel

Q Station Sydney Harbour National Park Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Manly
“What a great place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

My wife and I are members of Accor's Loyalty scheme and had a free night owing to us. We didn't have the time to get out of Sydney so decided to try the Q Station hotel at manly.

What a great job has been done in restoring this iconic sight that represents so much of Australia's immigrant history. Not quite Ellis Island, but a very important part of Australia's hiistory.

The rooms are all located in the old first and second class accommodation. Most rooms have an en suite or involve a short walk to a private bathroom. Our room had a superb view up the harbour, which would have been magnificent if the weather had been a bit better.
The room is not big, but is made up for by a beautifully equipped bathroom. The bed was extremely comfortable and the location ensures that you are not subject to traffic noise. In fact the quiet can be a bit disconcerting.

The Boiler house restaurant provides a very well thought out menu that covers all the basics. The food we had was well prepared and cooked. Breakfast, was not in the tariff, but was quite reasonable for $20 per head..

All in all a great place to stay for an anniversary, or a place for groups of friends to stay, particularly if you get Adjoining rooms and meet for drinks on the common verandah.

Well worth a least one visit at least. I'm sure we will be back

Room Tip: Book a room with a harbour view
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Zac H, General Manager at Q Station Sydney Harbour National Park Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear Jim O,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your stay at the Q Station Sydney Harbour National Park - Manly.

It is a pleasure to receive positive feedback and our team is always very proud to be able to make the guest experience a memorable one. The rich history of this place whilst operating as a quarantine station for 150 years has been restored tastefully for everyone to enjoy and experience.

Thank you again for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back Q Station in the near future.

Q Station Sydney Harbour National Park - Manly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Korean first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

We had an overnight stay in Manly on 28 February and decided to try the Q Station Hotel. An amazing location with great views of Manly, Sydney harbour etc. Our room was at the end of the block with a huge veranda for outside seating. The downside was our bathroom was not in the suite but around the corner of the block. It was solely for our use but having a separate bathroom was not clear when we booked. There are wonderful walks in the area. Well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Check for bathroom.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Karori12,

Thank you for your wonderful comments in relation to your recent stay though I was disappointed to hear that that the private external bathroom was not explain to you when you booked and I wish to apologise for this.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

I loved this place - I hate boring air conditioned hotels in amongst traffic and concrete. This space is better than clamping at cockatoo island and I think I payed less than that. I think people can be picky about the small things but the place shone for me in lots of ways. The only downside is not being able to access manly easily - they could have some bikes to hire at reception which would fix that for the more active like myself. I loved the museum, the little beach, the nature surrounding the place, the view, easy use of shuttle bus if you needed it. Staff were always available when I needed and helpful. Loved the toiletries and found house cleaning really good!! It's more like a B and b than a glamour hotel. If your not a whingy fussy type of traveller you will enjoy this place for its uniqueness. 3 nights seemed to short. I will be back. :-) also use the Eco hopper on the jetty for Sydney - just make sure they see you waiting or they scoot past!

• Stayed January 2014
Dear 12345Tara,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at Q Station Sydney Harbour National Park - Manly.

It's great to hear that you enjoyed the facilities that Q Station has to offer. I will make sure that I thank all of the team for their continued welcoming and friendly service.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Q Station when you return in the future.

Regards,

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

We booked a cottage, for 6 of us, and admittedly arrived not long after the minimum check in time. Got to the cottage to find that it had not been cleaned from the previous guests. Rang reception; very apologetic and after a few phone calls told someone would drive round and help us move to another cottage. Got to the next cottage to find that this also hadn't been cleaned but some progress had been made as at least someone was there who had started cleaning! I guess a lot of us have arrived at hotels, particularly earlier in the afternoon, to be told the room is not ready and been offered a drink in the lounge while waiting. I don't think I've been to any hotel who let you get to a room uncleaned and then repeat the mistake. So it took about 3 hours to finally get a cottage that was clean (ish). Plus the cottages are expensive and whilst understandably limited by heritage in layout and externals are sparse and quite grubby/run down.
The place has great views and history but as other people have said the positives end there.
And the Views restaurant for breakfast is just odd. Hotel prices for cafeteria layout, furnishings and quality.
If you want to get the history stay somewhere else and make a visit via Manly.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank ontheroadagain546
Dear Ontheroadagain546,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your stay at Q Station Sydney Harbour National Park - Manly.

We pride ourselves on our commitment to delivering a level of product and service that exceeds our guest's expectations. Quite clearly, we have fallen short on this commitment and I would like to express my sincere apologies.

I was disappointing to hear that the cottages were not cleaned to an acceptable standard on your arrival and not on time. All feedback is used as a training tool as we are continually striving to improve the service we provide to all of our guests.

I would like to apologise again for your disappointing experience and thank you for taking the time to write and bring these issues to my attention. I do hope we have the opportunity in the future to see you at Q Station again, to show you the quality and hospitality that we are renowned for.

Newcastle, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

Great views over the harbour.. That's where the great stops, very poor service, no one tells you you have to park at the top of the hill take a mini bus down to your accom, if it is at reception if not wait till it is no help with luggage, don't expect to take your own kayak and use it way too complicated, as you have to be escorted up down ect, I understand the site has to be protected but the mini buses zoom around so fast no wonder the wild life are endangered. The rooms are like a large cupboard with bathroom around the corner and up stairs( not explained to me before) . The smell of raw sewage leaking from the accom building next door was charming, the charging $50 to borrow a torch that didn't work properly and not refunding it on checkout. Stains on bead quilts yuk and the strong smell of mould in the bathroom...never again staff so not helpful very disappointing

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a bathroom
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kim w
Zac H, General Manager at Q Station Sydney Harbour National Park Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear Kim W,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Q Station Manly. I am very sorry for the experience that you encountered during your stay.

Needless to say, this is an unacceptable occurrence that we take very seriously and I will most certainly address accordingly.

Once again, thank you for your feedback, and I apologise for the experience that you encountered.

Q Station Sydney Harbour National Park – Manly
Port Macquarie, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed two nights in a ? Harbour view room with ensuite...... The room was in the third class steerage section.... Room 72...and had a very small view of the water. The ensuite was 3 doors down from our room. It was large, clean and had everything we needed but it was certainly a bit of a pain having to go outside in the middle of the night. So be aware that having an ensuite doesn't mean it will be in your room. Bath robes are provided for the " dash"!
This place is VERY quiet.... If that's what you are looking for.
There were lots of conference groups there but they didn't impact on us at all.
The staff at the front desk were pleasant .... And we had the pleasure of meeting Kun who was apparently the sales and marketing manager..... He kindly gave us a lift to Manly when our taxi didn't arrive.... Thank you .
Would we stay there again.....probably not . Interesting place but not really us.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Zac H, General Manager at Q Station Sydney Harbour National Park Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Dear Debowen,

I would like to apologise again for your disappointing experience and thank you for taking the time to write and bring these issues to my attention. We look forward to welcoming back to Q Station to show you the quality and hospitality that we are renowned for.

Q Station Sydney Harbour National Park – Manly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manly
Novotel Sydney Manly Pacific
Inner South
Central Railway Hotel
Central Railway Hotel
#48 of 179 in Sydney

Been to Q Station Sydney Harbour National Park Hotel? Share your experiences!